Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best Shell on the market now. Price be damned (under $600! :)

I'm planning on replacing my current Columbia jacket w/ a new one that can be used for most of the winter (minus those nice warm spring days) and paired w/ a liner on those really cold ones. What jackets out there can anyone recommend. I'm currently leaning towards the arcteryx sidewinder SV and the Norrona roldal(sp?).

Totally depends on body type/fit, usage, temps, etc. FWIW, didn't prefer the Sidewinder; didn't like the zipper. I have seen/liked various stuff from Patagucci, Arcteryx, Cloudveil.

There are a bunch of used jackets in gear swap that should fit the bill, whatever it may be...

Those are decent, assuming you want to drop that much cash (you can get a GTX Pro shell for a few hundred less than either of those)

Otherwise, I'd say look at the Westcomb jackets (Mirage) too.

MSRP is $800, but maybe you can find it on sale:

http://veilance.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens/Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I grabbed a backcountry.com stoic this summer for less than $100 on S&C or somewhere.

It is without a doubt the best (breathing/beading/construction) shell I've ever owned including some that might have retailed for your $600 ceiling.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 12-22-2009 at 01:32 PM.

The Norrona Roldal is insulated. So it's going to be a bit less versatile... basically cold lift serve only. I'd recommend the Norrona Lofoten Pro Shell Jacket instead.

Alright appreciate all the ideas ...will keep that in mind about the roldal. Also I'm definitely going to get it off of geartrade s&c or tramdock so not going to pay retail.

Hugh Conway Guest
    so really you want a highend shell that will be heavily discounted in the US - check out Arc'teryx, Marmot, Cloudveil. You are unlikely to find substantial discounts on Norrona.

Check out the LL Bean Ascent jacket. It's the cheapest Gore Tex Pro Shell out there. Pretty basic with all the details you need. I'm quite happy with mine.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    flylowgear.com

another vote for stoic... cheaper than some of the others and i've been very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I grabbed a backcountry.com stoic this summer for less than $100 on S&C or somewhere.

It is without a doubt the best (breathing/beading/construction) shell I've ever owned including some that might have retailed for your $600 ceiling.
    I 2nd this statement....i even get compliments on the features and construction from other who i ski with.

I've been very happy with my orage jacket.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

You said shell

IME anything with a lining is good for winter only ,really it depends on what you want to use the piece for IMO the arcterxy beta AR is a great shell for 4 season use

But probably any of the high end alpinist cut shells ,you want minimal so it packs easily in a day pack or a pannier ,the Beta has worked well for me skiing with a bunch of layers ,sea kayaking in shitty weather ,bike touring in alaska (REALLY shitty weather) ,it packs down for emergency use at any time of the year

Having said that for doing laps at the hill where warmth is more important than versatility I got a lite loft lined goretx parka with lots of pockets for goggles/food /extra stuff and I save the shell

Ok well maybe my vernacular wasn't spot on but just meant a heavy use outside jacket that can take on the elements and cold and keep me warm and dry. I don't mind layering it some (baselayer, cotton t, and liner underneath) for those really cold days but would like it to be good for the average days(18-32) mostly by itself (baselayer and cotton shirt underneath) I'm gonna look seriously into the stoic and I do like orage as I have a great pair of waterproof orage corduroys that do a very nice job and look great in the bar too!

Quote Originally Posted by caderader View Post
    cotton
    You're going to DIE!!!!!!!

I always like a good old used 10k shirt from some random race to go between my baselayer and liner or shell, I ain't scurred of cotton though not at least as a nice undershirt and for all those that want to call me a fool you gotta remember for ab 340 days out of the year I live in alabama so I probably am . It's alright though I'm trekkin west soon as possible! Anyway you know I ski xtreme steeps in my cotton t lol...for some reason sounds like the start to a rap song, that cant be good especially on tgr (I guess I'd be pimping on newschooler)

Patagonia Primo....mine has been amazing and really durable. Could not be happier after 3 years of abuse in CO. Has dealt with all the sun, cold, wet and warm springs, skinning, etc.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    flylowgear.com
    x2

Got a Higgins jacket for this season to replace my Arc. Sidewinder and couldn't be happier. It's a softshell but repels awesome. The build quality is amazing. Couldn't be happier w/ the purchase.

Love my sidewinder AR, having a stowable hood is a nice feature and makes its a little more versatile in my opinion. The constructions great and despite beating it up skiing in trees and using it as a seat cushion camping, it still looks new when I take the time to clean it up. The Patagucci Primo is a sweet coat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Patagonia Primo....mine has been amazing and really durable. Could not be happier after 3 years of abuse in CO. Has dealt with all the sun, cold, wet and warm springs, skinning, etc.
    Second on the Primo. I just got one this year after searching for the past two. I haven't really put it to the test, but it seems to have great features and is put together really well. I got a good deal on mine on-line and price matched to Moosejaw.

Westcomb Vapor Hoody, like Arcteryx only way better and made in Vancouver BC by a small company.
    "The light at the end of the tunnel is a train." Justin Trosper

flylow lab coat. kills it.

FWIW i have some jackets at the store i manage i can swing a nice deal on. feel free to pm me if interested. thanks!
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by caderader View Post
    Ok well maybe my vernacular wasn't spot on but just meant a heavy use outside jacket that can take on the elements and cold and keep me warm and dry. I don't mind layering it some (baselayer, cotton t, and liner underneath) for those really cold days but would like it to be good for the average days(18-32) mostly by itself (baselayer and cotton shirt underneath) I'm gonna look seriously into the stoic and I do like orage as I have a great pair of waterproof orage corduroys that do a very nice job and look great in the bar too!
    that is completely different

In that case a winter jacket doesnt have to be very technical so you could use almost anything

BTW ,people quit using cotton for plastic a couple of decades ago ... which they have since quit using for wool

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Second on the Primo. I just got one this year after searching for the past two. I haven't really put it to the test, but it seems to have great features and is put together really well. I got a good deal on mine on-line and price matched to Moosejaw.

Third for the Primo. I haven't used it long enough to talk durability, but it has the Patagonia warranty.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES