Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I'm thinking about it too.
    Alcohol Caffeine Taurine Hybrid
    If it can be done it can be won

Without a chainsaw silviculture is just a theory

Since this has suddenly turned into the official Gulmarg thread... I plan on being there Jan 1 - March 30. ish.

going to make a real push to make this happen.... see you there Lee!!

Well hopefully things with my job don't change and I will be there during those dates I all ready mentioned.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    15 December - 15 March. Are you Anton Pogue?
    Nope, Pogue is a military reference to people who aren't in a combat unit and I used it when I was in the Army in AK.

GULMARG '09/10

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    Nope, Pogue is a military reference to people who aren't in a combat unit and I used it when I was in the Army in AK.
    Thought you were this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by llyon View Post
    Since this has suddenly turned into the official Gulmarg thread...
    I realize everyone is flying in from different airports, but if anyone hits on an especially low-cost airfare, please post up the date. The lowest price I found last winter was outbound on New Years' Eve with AA.
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 06-27-2009 at 06:51 AM.

I realize everyone is flying in from different airports, but if anyone hits on an especially low-cost airfare, please post up the date. The lowest price I found last winter was outbound on New Years' Eve with AA.
    This would be very helpful (i'm with allen). I'd like to know where people plan on staying/doing (touring vs riding lift vs lots of travel), and what they're budgeting as well.

sam

Im going with Llyon. Although due to uni (cunt...shit) I will only be there for february. Looing forewards to seeing u all there.

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    This would be very helpful (i'm with allen). I'd like to know where people plan on staying/doing (touring vs riding lift vs lots of travel), and what they're budgeting as well.

sam
    I am planning on doing some touring and riding. Where would you want to travel? I might be up for it as long as it involves skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    I am planning on doing some touring and riding. Where would you want to travel? I might be up for it as long as it involves skiing.
    not sure yet. this is pretty back burner for me right now, I'm in the process of building a website, looking for real work, and planning for a family trip to italy in a 2 weeks.

What i'd thought about was skiing/touring (even way out, if logistically possible) from the gulmarg area, then either hiking around kashmir and india for a while or doing some minor mountaineering in the area. I'm very open to ideas at this point though. My main objective would be to see as much of india and the Himalayas as possible though, I dont want to have traveled half way around the world to stay in one small town and ride one lift, I want to see the place.

PM me if you want to talk more in depth.

The intention is as follwos (along with the budget, price in pounds converted to dollars at 1.5 (its shit but a different subject)

Vaccinations $500+

Flights ~$1000

Internal Flights >$300

Accomadation and Powder Cats ~$1500+

Plan is to go with the group as and when it is appropriate. I'm going with my other half, she is not hugely comfortable with touring or doing our own thing as such we'll see what happens and how things go whilst we are there.

The likelyhood is I will either stay a little longer or arrive a little earlier and leave a little later but considering the number of passes I get a year to go, I'm going to simply see how things pan out.

Im definitely thinking about travelling, longer tours, getting some bigger peaks, etc as well. I figure the info I'll be able to find on the interweb is limited, so I'll end up planning things when I get there.

What i'd thought about was skiing/touring (even way out, if logistically possible) from the gulmarg area, then either hiking around kashmir and india for a while or doing some minor mountaineering in the area.
    I heard that touring from Gulmarg doesn't go down well with the guys with pointy things that go 'bang'. Others who have been there might know better.

If you are planning touring in India, this book might help: http://www.alpinetouring.com/KulluValley.htm

Awesome area, some very cool terrain, definitely worth a visit. More Alpine than Gulmarg, I think. Also very different atmosphere socially to Gulmarg as it is a Hindu area, and not in the middle of a slightly politically hot area.

i was going to PM mc_roon for this info, but figured everyone could probably use it.

Does anyone know of a good set of maps for the area? Good (recent) travel books on the area, etc.?

Since this has suddenly turned into the official Gulmarg thread...
    ...might as well post up the latest news from Kashmir.

Link: India wants Kashmir troops move

Summary: The Indian government wants to withdraw troops from the inhabited areas of Indian-administered Kashmir, the home minister has said...[and] the government wants to make the local police responsible for internal security in the region.

good chance I'll be there in early January after a stint in nepal.

Anyone know if one can rent decent gear and larger size ski boots? I've already been gone for 4 months now and won't be getting home to get my own gear before hitting up India.

Gulmarg to get new chairlift

Probably a chance this will happen, but I remain a skeptic:

Construction to start in July on a lift from Kongdoori to Mary's Shoulder of Affarwat, shown below.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Good (recent) travel books on the area, etc.?
    if you want useful info, read this thread and the others. travel guidebooks are useless in kashmir.

Demystifying Kashmir, by Navnita Chadha Behera

Does anyone know of a good set of maps for the area? Good (recent) travel books on the area, etc.?
    As stated, there is little useful printed material on the subject. As maps go they are very rare. I have seen one that a European traveler brought to Gulmarg last winter but don't remember the source. Books? Neither Moon Publications nor Lonely Planet, the so-called adventure travel guides, give Muslim Kashmir more than two paragraphs as opposed to pages about Ladakh.

Maps: Refer to Google Maps and use the terrain feature. Find Gulmarg-centric information on this map. One visitor to Gulmarg posted his waypoints in this posting. If you have Google Earth installed find two kmz files of Gulmarg waypoints at [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1772111#post1772111"]this post[/ame].

Book: The singular best book about the political situation in the region - Demystifying Kashmir, by Navnita Chadha Behera.
    Description & Review
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 07-01-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Bumpage -

Anyone want to do some division of labor on the research?

What are you thinking of? Ive been meaning to get around to some serious research, but havent really gotten to it yet.

Bring this, a lot of this, and I'm there. Preferably not the computer . . .

What are you thinking of? Ive been meaning to get around to some serious research, but havent really gotten to it yet.
    So, I basically made a list of every question that came to mind when I started thinking of this, and I think it's a pretty good starting point for our reasearch.

If everyone claimed a topic or two and then posted what they found here, we'd get this hammered out in no time.

Travel:
    - Visa procedure ( and cost etc.)
    - Visa length (possible to extend?)
    - Airfare, fastest, cheapest, group rate, layovers, the whole bit.
    - Within Kashmir/India in general, what's the best way to move around?
    - Advisories? (why/where?)
    - What are the non-skiing hilights of Kashmir that are not to be missed?

Medical:
    - What type of care is available there?
    - Will insurance cover it? if not what's needed?
    - Rescue insurance? (needed? Cost?)

Lodging:
    - Hotel Cost for visa length? (whats included, whats not, etc.)
    - House rental possibility? (boltonoutlaw was talking about this at one point)

Skiing:
    - Cost of lift tickets?
    - Season pass? (does this exist?)
    - Cat skiing?
    - What to expect? ( re: snow, avi danger, # down days, etc.)
    - Good photos of the area? (To keep us psyched on the trip)

Backcountry Skiing:
    - Whats required for more than just leaving the resort?
    = Talking to the army?
    = Traveling to a trailhead?
    = Permits?
    - Maps?
    - Good weather forecast?
    = Climate data? (how cold is it there RE: overnight trips and camping gear)
    = When does the spring melt start?
    - Suitable objectives? (This is a big one)
    = Day tours
    = Overnights
    = Ski mountaineering objectives

Communication:
    - Phones?
    - Internet?
    - Mail?

Reasearch: (I'd personally like to get as much background on the area as possible)
    - Best history books: both on the region, and on skiing there, everything from the early history to the great game to the current India/ Pakistan situation.
    - Travel guides?
    - A list of TR's (there has to be lots of good info out there)
    - Good english news sources on the region?
    - Maps? - someone mentioned that these are hard to find, but I'm sure there is something out there. Even a road map of Kashmir would be a handy start
    - GPS info (waypoints, maps)

Charities/ NGO's in the region? ( It'd be nice to have this trip benefit some worth cause, as I'm sure we'd generate useful exposure for someone)

I'm sure more questions will come up as we start to find answers to these, but it seems like a good starting point.

Thanks for any help, and make sure to chime in (and maybe even do some reasearch) if you're thinking of going.

Sam

ps. apologies for any typos/spelling errors, i'm posting from a work computer with no spell check.
    Last edited by samthaman; 08-08-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Hugh Conway Guest
    sweet jesus you are anal

get visa here:
    https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/homepage

plane ticket here:
    http://www.kayak.com

maps here
    http://earth.google.com/

quite clearly the concept of India, and Kashmir, haven't quite penetrated yet.

Charities/ NGO's in the region? ( It'd be nice to have this trip benefit some worthy cause, as I'm sure we'd generate useful exposure for someone)
    YES! I've been thinking about this too, cool to see that someone else is as well. I don't have any time at the moment deal with any of this, but let's talk at some point.

I'll probably be there for 2 months or so, I'd be happy to ride and tour with folks looking to "get after it."