Page 3 of 190 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    p.s. the cold smoke is the good too

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post

Oh, and Rasputin..that was me in case you were wondering.
    I got that, once I heard your name, but all of you, short, clean shaven, helmet wearers look the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AsheanMTpseudoquote
    The Bowl has mediocre snow(at best) every day. Its always great up top, but sucks ass down low.]

Fixed it for you.
    Just kicking yourself for leaving town just before the Bowl started getting blower again huh? It's alright, you have plenty of low angle trees to keep vertigo from setting in between the breaks in the fog bank.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    When did snowbowl start under reporting new snow? What's next "we didn't plow or sand the road."
    The truth is, that they report the increase of snow on a small, square, plywood platform with a measuring stick standing up out of the middle of it, which is located right next to a run. For those in the know, removing snow to limit what accumulates, and thus is reported would be the easiest thing in the world (of course I've never done such a thing).

I have heard ski patrol joking about reporting five inches when there are bigger dumps just to fuck with those who hold to the "six inch rule", i.e. don't bother making it to opening bell unless they report over 6".

Oh, and since I'm leaving town for the next few days, enjoy the ridonkulous dump which will surely ensue.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 12-24-2008 at 12:23 AM.

another good day of poaching at the bowl and drinking moose drool.
    Last edited by 406; 12-24-2008 at 05:27 PM.

full on epic at the bowl today. 7" my ass.

406 speaks the truth.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

another amazing day at the bowl...damn bumps on the bowl out run, not sure the legs could take another day.

I just got back in town and am SO not surprised it went off while I was gone, but I will be there bright and early.

Given the nuclear poundage I had to drive through between Couer 'd Alene and Missoula, there should be more of the same for tomorrow.

Dang, was good today. As far as 406 and poaching, word I got from patrol was "ski whatever, but don't blame us."

I have HUGE contusion on my thigh from a stump on windows/west ridge border (open, FWIW), luckily my femur is still intact. Totally worth it, though.

It was absolutely NUKING when I left this afternoon...not much in town, but I'm pretty sure it's still coming down up there.

edit: Rasputin, the clowns skied everything today and hard, which was great because it was dumping hard enough to fill it back in...so we now have a base everywhere except the west bowl/bottom of east bowl. Everything else will be $$$$$$ tomorrow.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 12-27-2008 at 11:00 PM.

edit: Rasputin, the clowns skied everything today and hard, which was great because it was dumping hard enough to fill it back in...so we now have a base everywhere except the west bowl/bottom of east bowl. Everything else will be $$$$$$ tomorrow.
    Heh, 'tis true, we need the swarm 'o' clowns to tamp it down this time of year, I expect it will be $$ for first chair tomorrow.

I'm just glad to be alive after the drive back from Oregon. I nearly lost it and crashed twice on ice just over twenty miles outside of Missoula. It was snowing so hard on and about, 4th of July Pass that I could barely see to stay on the road for about thirty miles. Lookout wasn't quite as insane, but the snow was heavier in places between here and the pass.

Lost Trail is gonna be the place today.

^^^i'm gearing up for LT right now, if you're interested. i've only got a weekday to the bowl.

Have a good time, I'm gonna slum it at the Bowl.

how was the bowl?

LT was deeeep. temps in the 20s, windy, and snowing. no rain, no thaw. saddle spun for the first time all year, buy hollywood bowl was closed due to "extreme avalanche danger." i saw a few good reasons why in the trees skier's left of chair 1.

The Bowl was utter crap, the snow got heavy, and skied out, and it was so windy up top that they closed LaVelle after an hour and a half. It was truly horrendous, and I suggest no one ever skis there again.

Did Lavelle ever open again yesterday? Bet it's decent up top today, could be interesting down low.

As far as 406 and poaching, word I got from patrol was "ski whatever, but don't blame us."
    I wasn't going to advertise that ;-)

I did my part on west/east bowl Saturday.

Looks like you guys should have a few more good days this week.

Noticed someone telemarking on Bro's down west ridge Saturday morning, one of you guys?

lhowemt is offline gaper-'airin out my teeth
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    I have heard ski patrol joking about reporting five inches when there are bigger dumps just to fuck with those who hold to the "six inch rule", i.e. don't bother making it to opening bell unless they report over 6".
    You've GOT to know that "phone sex voice Brad" reports 6" or more whenever he's told at least 4". Have you ever noticed how the phone and web reports almost never match?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Noticed someone telemarking on Bro's down west ridge Saturday morning, one of you guys?
    that would be rootskier.

^^^ Yep.

Today = absolute titties. After a lot of bombing, everything opened around 10. Hialtitude and I were waiting on the rope drop. It was $$$$. I had some truly phenomenal turns in West Bowl today, only smoked one rock, and that was traversing away from the Chicken Chute.

Weirdly, Rasputin was nowhere to be found.

more details. how much new? heavy or light? still snowing? temps? wind?

They only reported 5" but it dumped all day and the wind was absolutely HOWLING yesterday afternoon (Lavelle closed at 11:30 and never reopened, heard 90 mph gusts) so many aspects were like they had never been skied all year. West Bowl was well over knee deep. Heard Far East and those aspects were great, too. East Bowl was smoove windbuff. West Ridge was dust on crust.

The chronic underreportage of snow this year is awesome. I would call today medium density snow...and it was coming down hard when I left around 1:30. The road was as sketch as I've ever seen it. Almost lost it twice.

It was MUCH colder today than yesterday. No danger of rain or heavy glop. Light wind.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 12-29-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Anybody going up tomorrow? I'm looking for a partner
    Last edited by elesquiador; 12-29-2008 at 04:12 PM.