TR - Chatter Creek 3/30 - 4/3

So this is my first shot at a trip report, not a ton of ski shots, but there's lots of purrdy scenery.

Last year I turned 30 and my awesome wife surprised me with a 4 day cat skiing trip to Chatter Creek. Once my buddy heard, he quickly booked up as well and then there was a whole lot of waiting for March to roll around. I'd been watching the weather around Golden all winter long, twice daily as the trip neared hoping for some good news. The lodge is at 5900' and the freezing level had creeped up above that a couple times but not too high, and they've got a shit ton of terrain up there all the way to 10,000', with lots of North facing slopes so I was confident we'd find some good snow. We lucked out and the trip was a blast.

The first two days were spent in flat light looking for contrast in the alpine in some good ankle deep snow on a solid base. Great turns were had but the light was flat and it certainly wasn't deep pow.

Our ride to the lodge:

Ready to roll on the first morning:

The first half of day one was pretty clear and we got a good look at some of the sick terrain they've got around there:

No pictures from day 2 since it was pretty flat all day. We found some good turns though and the snow started falling for the last few runs and kept up kept it up all night and all day on the third day.

Heading up on day 3:

Ready to drop into the Dirka dirka trees for the first run of day 3:

We played on the ridge all day in the trees and some really cool terrain features. The snow was fantastic, face shots were had and we took to the air.

Some of the terrain we were playing on:

Day 4 went bluebird, or at least near to anyway and we headed up to the Vertebrae Glacier so play in the new snow. The terrain wasn't too crazy, but we skied some great runs of 3300' vert on 35 degree slopes with some of the best scenery you could ask for. I was on the Spatulas for day 4 and loved every second. They just wanted to tear it up.

Sullivan's Fault was the backdrop for the day:

Tracks from our first run on the glacier:

My buddy boarding in:

And heading back up for more:

There was a real photographer along for the ride on the last day and he got some great action shots. When I get them, I'll throw a few up here to add some action, since I was too preoccupied most of the time to pull out the camera.

It was a great trip though, the staff there were fantastic, we ended up partying with the staff every night since most of our group were mormon. The food was stellar as well. Highly recommend a trip up there, we'll be back for sure. Hopefully fill a cat up next time.
    Last edited by sherpahigh; 04-07-2007 at 10:27 PM.

AAA High Rated All Quality Zippidy! Nice.

Sawleeed!

I am stoked for your stoke. Sum was gotten.