Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Broken rear triangle on Santa Cruz Nomad. What do i do, what can I do?

So I'm hanging out in the gym of the school where I work with my daughter this weekend. She's on her push bike and I'm jumping off the stage on my Nomad when all of a sudden I hear a slightly disconcerting sound upon landing. Not sure I actually broke it then but upon closer inspection I find one of the vertical arms of the rear triangle is completely broken. Bit of a biking jong i confess, but my question is what are my options? Is finding a rear triangle and replacing it even an option? Where would one go about finding one. What about welding, maybe with gussets or something...sounds sketch but is it doable?

No warranty.

In all seriousness - I would look to replace the whole triangle.

Triangle replacement is an option than? While I have your ear Hutz, what is the model year and assorted specs one might want to know about for a triangle search.

You can usually get a new rear triangle from the manufacturer.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

You can usually get a new rear triangle from the manufacturer.
    Usually... are some manufacturers more prone do do this than others ? How about Santa Cruz. Anyone know.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 02-14-2016 at 10:51 PM.

I think it was an '07. Problem with nomads is that the production years blend. The good thing is that they didn't change that often. I would start with SC. Or give Pete a call at McBike.

Pete seems like a logical starting point.

Why don't you call Santa Cruz? I think they know more about their bikes than a bunch of hacks on TGR.

I bet they'd be a good source on info for whether or not they stock their own spare parts.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

X-a-billion on call Santa Cruz. First, look at your frame and write down the serial #. That should help SC in figuring out exactly what version of your bike that you own, in case there were any incremental changes during that model's manufacture.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Or go to a shop that sells santa cruz. They will be able to look up prices and check stock for you, which SC directly might be reluctant to do. AFAIK they don't sell bikes direct to customers, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Or go to a shop that sells santa cruz. They will be able to look up prices and check stock for you, which SC directly might be reluctant to do. AFAIK they don't sell bikes direct to customers, do they?
    Went to the local Santa Cruz rep and he said he would contact Santa Cruz with the serial number. Rear triangle replacement is totally doable according to him. Warranty is expired but he said that Santa Cruz offers a 'manufacturer replacement price' or something along those lines. In short they want to keep Santa Crux riders riding Santa Cruz bikes, which is something I totally want as i love that bike, but purchasing a new one is not feasible right now. It's an '07 (I think) so I hope that they still have some rear triangles of that vintage in stock. I'll keep everyone posted.

I broke my rear triangle on a carbon blur lt and Santa Cruz took care of it. Only had to pay for shipping and 5 weeks of riding time. I did buy the frame directly off of SC on a year end close out. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    I broke my rear triangle on a carbon blur lt and Santa Cruz took care of it. Only had to pay for shipping and 5 weeks of riding time. I did buy the frame directly off of SC on a year end close out. Good luck.
    Encouraging. The only part of that I don't like is the 5 weeks. Patience is a virtue I am lacking. But we are still in the heart of ski season here (in many ways it is just really starting) so i guess i will have to do without my mtn bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Encouraging. The only part of that I don't like is the 5 weeks. Patience is a virtue I am lacking. But we are still in the heart of ski season here (in many ways it is just really starting) so i guess i will have to do without my mtn bike.
    I got a huge dent in the rear triangle of my heckler back in the day. Stripped the bike down, went into local SC dealer and they sent in the triangle. They had a new one for me from SC a week later. Cost $300 for crash replacement. If they are not able to locate a rear triangle that will work for you they should be able to offer a great deal on a complete frame.

Same thing happened to my buddy's nomad - although it was only a few years old. But SC took care of him, at least making it a relatively cheap fix.

I'm liking what i hear. Seems like Santa Cruz scores high on the customer service front and that they are indeed interested in keeping me on one of their bikes.

I should add one thing. There's no way they have any older triangles anymore that would work. Well past that. My friend with a... 2011 nomad, who had a busted rear triangle under warranty, was actually provided an entirely new frame of a more recent model because the old one was gone / obsolete. So that will be an issue. They may offer a big discount or something like that on a new frame. Which is very reasonable given the current industry.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I should add one thing. There's no way they have any older triangles anymore that would work. Well past that. My friend with a... 2011 nomad, who had a busted rear triangle under warranty, was actually provided an entirely new frame of a more recent model because the old one was gone / obsolete. So that will be an issue. They may offer a big discount or something like that on a new frame. Which is very reasonable given the current industry.
    Talked to the local Santa Cruz dealer today. He said that Santa Cruz no longer had any rear triangles for that model year. Furthermore, since i am not the original owner, I am shit out of luck with regards to a cheap frame replacement. He says i should get it welded, what do you guys think? Or does anyone have a spare rear triangle for a 07 Nomad kicking around?

If you can find a good tig welder and disassemble the frame it should be pretty straightforward and hold up well.

I had a chip in my chainstay patched last year after it was going to be nearly 1k for a new frame. Different material and process, but repaired stuff can hold up fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    If you can find a good tig welder and disassemble the frame it should be pretty straightforward and hold up well.

I had a chip in my chainstay patched last year after it was going to be nearly 1k for a new frame. Different material and process, but repaired stuff can hold up fine.
    I do know of a very good welder in town. Or at least he has a good reputation. Disassembling the frame and having this dude tig weld it was what the dealer suggested. Any idea how much this might cost? How much did your repair cost?

The further into this you search, the more you will find apparently the prevailing opinion is that you can't weld aluminum frames. Something about how welding aluminum weakens it, and the only way the process works is that they put the whole thing in a kiln after assembly and it does something to make the aluminum strong again. Apparently if you repair it and don't do the kiln part your repair will not only fail but might cause failure in other spots too. And the paint needs to be striped to do the kiln thing.
    I have a few broken frames hanging in my garage as tokens of our biking life. Chalk it up.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Second option: find a SC dealer that won't ask you whether you're the original owner. They don't have to lie, they just have to make an assumption. Who the hell keeps records from 2007 anyway? 50/50 chance the shop where it was originally bought is out of business, so proof is all quite vague.
    Last edited by jm2e; 02-17-2016 at 08:21 AM.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    The further into this you search, the more you will find apparently the prevailing opinion is that you can't weld aluminum frames. Something about how welding aluminum weakens it, and the only way the process works is that they put the whole thing in a kiln after assembly and it does something to make the aluminum strong again. Apparently if you repair it and don't do the kiln part your repair will not only fail but might cause failure in other spots too. And the paint needs to be striped to do the kiln thing.
    I have a few broken frames hanging in my garage as tokens of our biking life. Chalk it up.
    That what i thought. I was under the impression that welding aluminum was not a good idea so I was kind of surprised when I was told to persue this option. Not a dis against the local dealer, i think he is just trying to get me back on my bike. Although i do wish he had not told them i was not the original owner. Maybe he doesn't want to jeopardize his dealer status with Santa Cruz or something.

When i told the dealer that I had heard that welding aluminium was a bad move, he disagreed and replied by saying that they had to weld the thing together in the first place. Your kiln explanation makes a lot of sense as to how they are able to weld the aluminum frame together in the first place and not have it be sketchy.