Lake Louise / Sunshine Village. Recommendations?

I'm going to Edmonton for a business trip at the end of this week and will take the weekend and Monday to ski. I plan to fly into Calgary so I'm not too far from the goods. I plan to ski two days there to make good use of my collective pass, but am wondering about the third day. Ski Lake Louise again? Do Sunshine Village? The $30 more or so to ski Sunshine Village (vs half price at Lake Louise) is fine. I'll be alone, so none of the avy-equipped terrain for me. I'll be staying at the Fairmont Lake Louise so I am close to the ski area (and thanks to a killer deal there), but don't want to stay there anymore than needed, it's a bit dead there. If I ski Sunshine Village, I'll move to Banff for my third night.

Any recommendations? I initially thought skiing Sunshine Village would be fun to just try another place, but only if it's worth it... I skied Snowbird way under-snowed and that definitely wasn't as fun as staying in Alta for another day (different terrain, trees). Since I won't know either place, I'll have to rely on the usual (look for trees, places a bit out of the way—but still safe alone) and whatever I can glean from locals.

Any locals here who know what the conditions are, or know the areas well and can make some recommendations? I haven't found much searching.

Thanks all.

Day trips leave LL to Golden to ski KH. Do it. No idea of current conditions.

2 days? why not ski one day at each?

^^^^

One at each. You'll still need to catch a bus to either place whether at the the Fairmont or in Banff as I recall. I liked Sunshine more than LL but mostly because it had more and better (real) snow when I was there, more steeps and the Dive to ski.

From my faded memory, Kicking Horse is rad but a ~3-4 hr bus ride from Banff and only worth it if there is new snow, and you haven't stayed up all night drinking with rowdy Brits.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    From my faded memory, Kicking Horse is rad but a ~3-4 hr bus ride from Banff
    just under 2 depending on conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    just under 2 depending on conditions.
    maybe in a rental car, but we were on a coach that left at ~5am and my condition was far from sober and it seemed like it took forever.

And it hadn't snowed in 10 days at KH, it was -20 C so pretty much every thing was bullet proof bumps.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Not super useful advice, but I'd play it by ear. One the best things about the Calgary area is lots of different hills, all get slightly (or sometimes very) different storm systems passing through.

Couple of caveats though:
    If it snows a bit, KH is awesome, just make sure it's not snowing throughout the day that you're there. If the highway closes, you're sol to get to calgary in a reasonable time.
    Louise is a sleepier town, but I prefer the skiing over Sunshine, especially if you can't get into the partner required stuff.
    If you do go to Sunshine, get on here and find someone willing to ski with you for a day so you can get into the partner terrain.
    Sunshine is a lot closer to calgary and gets much longer lines to show for it, but usually more snow.
    Have you thought about going for a tour? When I lived in Calgary, the locals were awesome, super friendly. If you're already in lousie, a tour somewhere on the Ice Fields Parkway close, great skiing and isn't easy to replicate other places (just go with some in the know to somewhere a bit more adventurous that Bow Summit).

I think the bus from banff to KH is $90 (same as a day ticket) if you book with dicover banff tours...

but check the freezing levels first.

freezing levels around Kicking Horse were somewhere near the top of the mountain the past couple days. No snow forecast this week & returning to below zero temps by the weekend.

The east side of the Rockies (Lake Louise & SSV) doesn't usually get as warm but even the Banff avy bulletin was talking about moist snow at 2000m. Unless someone else has some first hand beta my prediction is the skiing will suck soooo bad until there is some decent fresh.

Last year I did just the opposite, stayed in Banff and bused up to sunshine and lake louise. Skipped over Norquay. Fwiw I liked lake louise much much more. Sunshine village is about 30% above treeline and with bad conditions can be incredibly windblown. But if you aren't going to be back there in the forseeable future, might be nice to scratch em both off your list.
    Every man dies, not every man truly lives.

It will all suck till there is new snow. Was well above freezing to top though no rain at top at KH. For KH all you have to do is look at advanced weather and will give hourly temps at weather plot. Everywhere else have to guess from high and look at snow forecast for freezing levels. LL will have better groomers than KH to ski so not worth extra $.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

I second what was said above... Check the weather the day before and pick your mountain. I've spent a lot of time in Lake Louise and had some awesome days on all of the mountains. If there isn't any new snow I would stick to LL... Saves you a hour or so of driving each way and will probably have better groomers than KH.

Thanks guys. I have two days at LL on my pass that I want to use, unless some other local place is immensely better. Free days (well, prepaid days) are meant to be used So I do plan two days at LL. The third day is in the air. KH and Norquay both are a bit too far for what I want to do, and while I'll have a rental it probably won't be storm friendly. Ha! I wish we had a storm. This year sucks so far. I even managed to be at JH the three consecutive days they had crazy high pressure between two series of storms On the third day I need to get back to Calgary to catch a plane to Edmonton where I need to be the next day, hence my thought to move to Banff the night before, avoiding LL cabin fever and ski SV as it's close by before I drive back to Calgary.

LL will get the same storms as KH or SS. LL is way better hill than SS. I like KH better than LL but not enough to pay any $. Esp. with conditions , hard icy , LL would be much better than KH as KH doesn't groom that much.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Has SSV been forgiven for firing the Patrol guys in the wake of the Taylor Scurfield Shitstorm?

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    LL is way better hill than SS.
    Especially with those conditions? I've traveled a lot to ski this year but it seems like every time I go somewhere I get the lowest temps of the season (cue Jackson's -25 F and this Sat/Sun/Mon forecast for LL). LL will be $45 versus $90 ($80 on Liftopia) for SSV for my third day. We'll have to wing it... discover a new hill to form my own opinion, or stay at LL

I have another question. I've been trying to get a rental with snow tires because the Banff Park page says those (or chains, which are forbidden on rentals) are required by law from Nov 1 to March 31st. I found an agency that has cars with such tires (for a fee that is larger than that of the rental itself, per day!) but they said that there is an exception to the law for rental cars (they won't reserve me a car with snow tires, it's first come first served). Is that BS on their part or not? I plan to only drive through the park during daylight hours (not that it makes a difference except for my own peace of mind).

no one ever checks tires in the park. get snow tires if you can, but without you are fine too.

With everything warm to the top it will be very hard till new snow. I'm pretty sure LL would be better able to groom the fuck out of their groomers than SSV which doesn't have snow making. Anyway all the groomers at SSV would be low angle alpine meadow runs, well other than Goats Eye. At least LL would have some steep groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    no one ever checks tires in the park. get snow tires if you can, but without you are fine too.
    This.

Just ski the Lake a couple of days then hit up SSV. The skiing isn't going to be all time.

K, no more stress. Pour a tall one, twist one up. All will be fine you'll be skiing after all and, skiing a new place.
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 01-27-2015 at 11:11 PM.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Ugh. Now I feel like I am wasting money getting hotels, a car etc. for crap snow. On the positive side, skiing beats not skiing and I've always wanted to check out Lake Louise in winter. If you guys are around Sat-Mon, let me know. I can ski groomers too.

if you are in calgary, LOTS of busses avail to both banff and LL. Also daily bus avail from all hotels to the ski areas.

if you are not staying at the chateau, some more affrodable options in banff, or the hostel in LL is VERY nice too.

crap snow in the Canadian Rockies usually skis better than crap snow in the PNW...

Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post
    On the positive side, skiing beats not skiing and I've always wanted to check out Lake Louise in winter. If you guys are around Sat-Mon, let me know. I can ski groomers too.
    This is very true.

And if you get some visibility, the views from both hills are pretty spectacular (edge to LL in my opinion).
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post
    Thanks guys. I have two days at LL on my pass that I want to use, unless some other local place is immensely better. Free days (well, prepaid days) are meant to be used So I do plan two days at LL. The third day is in the air. KH and Norquay both are a bit too far for what I want to do, and while I'll have a rental it probably won't be storm friendly. Ha! I wish we had a storm. This year sucks so far. I even managed to be at JH the three consecutive days they had crazy high pressure between two series of storms On the third day I need to get back to Calgary to catch a plane to Edmonton where I need to be the next day, hence my thought to move to Banff the night before, avoiding LL cabin fever and ski SV as it's close by before I drive back to Calgary.
    You know the mountain collective is for both Lake Louise and Sunshine Village right? You get 2 days spilt however you wish between the two and 50% off extra at both.

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    crap snow in the Canadian Rockies usually skis better than crap snow in the PNW...

Just saying...
    actually today was a lot nicer than I thought it was going to be , soft in places and untracked in alpine is soft. Down low icy hard, not pleasant on groomers where they groomed when it was still wet.