Thread: Who tours solo?

Who tours solo?

I think it's like wanking. Everybody does to some extent though many won't readily admit it. But there's a big difference between touring around on Madshus on low angle terrain and heading out alone after a dump for some big objective. Where do you draw the line personally?

Why ask such a thing? I'm rethinking the whole issue of risk. Last weekend a super experienced climbing friend fell just 25 ft and died. It was just the "approach" of the climb, well under her level - 25 ft of 5.8 before the real climb starts (5.11C) and everybody free solos it. Here's a nice piece about it. May apply to winter pursuits as well.

Yes, I like to hit it RAW!!!

If it's <= about 25 degrees, early in the morning before work, and I have nobody to go with, sure.

That was a tough read. Sorry for your losses.
    What Jupski is saying is that there is already a thread about solo tours on the first page. Lots of folks are discussing it.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Sometimes.

It depends.

Often just with the dog.

Who is a better ski partner than many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    That was a tough read. Sorry for your losses.
    What Jupski is saying is that there is already a thread about solo tours on the first page. Lots of folks are discussing it.
    Just saw it. I'm an idiot. I'll peruse....

Wish i had the balls, or a dog, to do some hans solo touring..

I did this steep icy thing alone last spring, on G3 onyx too, and have found myself questioning why I would take those risks, but then again it's only you skiing it anyways nobody else can help you down so if its mountaineering in good conditions does it matter?

Everyone has their own subjective risk level they are comfortable with. I'm comfortable touring alone in a lot of locations and conditions. I prefer to have a partner in anything out of my comfort zone or in unfamiliar terrain. But really if I felt something was that dangerous I probably shouldn't be skiing it even with a partner.

please join the same basic thread that's on-going
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...i-or-ride-Solo
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

I ski solo under the following circumstances:

-I'm intimately familiar with the terrain and snowpack and can manage the terrain to minimize avalanche risk
    -People are around/the area is popular, which could be helpful in some sort of rescue situation.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I tour solo when I can't find anybody to ski with.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer