Hot ski storage and wax

i ran a couple of searches and didnt come up with much, so here goes..... i left several pairs of skis in a garage-type storage locker (no heat, no AC) in southern oregon june 2014; i gave each ski base a heavy coat of parafin wax, a kiss and a prayer; two summers have past so here's the rub: what kind of base damage can i expect at this point? i dont know jack about p-tex chemistry etc. i can phone a friend and have the bases waxed again, no idea when i can retrieve the skis. i could use a couple of serious replies before the jongalanche starts, thanks
    Last edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot; 09-21-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    You might get lucky, if they're not along a south or west wall, they could be in pretty decent shape. With no climate control, you can count on some rust most likely. If it gets hot in there, check for delams and warping. Scrape em, grind em, wax em, ski em till they break.

I would skip the grind since if they have a thick coat of wax, the bases shouldn't have oxidized much if at all. Scrape the paraffin and put some decent ski wax on there and you should be good to go. People leave skis in boxes on top of their cars all the time with no major damage. They also sit in shipping containers and trucks with no AC on their way to the stores so while its not the best for them to get hot its not the end of the world. I wouldn't worry about them at all.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

I would expect 0 damage. Hot scrape off the paraffin and put on some ski wax while the base is still warm, then let cool, then scrape, brush, buff, and off you go. You may have actually hot boxed them, which would be a good thing.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Yeah I don't see what the big deal is. I have about 20 skis stored in my garage every summer. Never had any sort of problem. Iron the storage wax and scrape it, then wax again.

Why are people so worried about this? Not the first thread I've seen about it.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I would bet the skis are fine. I have a collection of skis, and snowboards that I have dubious plans of making furniture/fence out of. Some of them have been sitting unwaxed in the shed for 10+ years and they show no signs of damage.
    After over two years in the shed, unless you are horder like myself, don't bother having your friend wax them just have your friend sell them!

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Yeah I don't see what the big deal is. I have about 20 skis stored in my garage every summer. Never had any sort of problem. Iron the storage wax and scrape it, then wax again.

Why are people so worried about this? Not the first thread I've seen about it.
    because we're stupid jongs?
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

They're fucked. Send them to me for proper disposal.