2014/2015 G3 Black Sheep Carbon X3 Splitboard Review

I thought I would put together a board review for the 2014/2015 G3 Black Sheep Carbon X3 Splitboard which I’ve been riding for the later half of last season. I managed to get a lot of days on the board leading up to a Denali trip that I made and then many days on the board on the actual expedition. I was able to try the board on a huge variety of conditions from the blue ice surprises on Denali to powder and the other variable conditions we had in the Whistler and the surrounding backcountry last season. I should probably mention I’ve only ridden it with hardboots and phantoms.

To start with shape, I was initially attracted to the X3’s radius of 9m which makes the board feel like it grabs an edge very solid when only putting the board slightly on edge. The rocker is also not too pronounced which helps with edge grip and I didn’t have any complaints with the skins being engaged with the snow. The rocker was enough, however, to have a bit of lift in powder. It might be a bit stiff for deep powder, but I haven’t taken it out on a bottomless day. One thing I appreciate in this board has enough rise on the nose and tail, I hate digging my nose into the snow on little ditches on approaches and it doesn’t hurt for skinning or riding in deep snow. Seems like a no brainer but not always done!

For those considering it, this is a stiff board. For me this was appreciated along with the carbon dampening for some of the hard crud and ice that I ran into last season. It has a lot of backbone; feels stable riding through variable snow at high speeds or with a heavy pack.

Improvements could include a topsheet that doesn’t attract as much snow, maybe a white one. I’ve also had to wax the board very frequently, but the base likely became oxidized as it was used as a demo.

In conclusion, this is a confidence inspiring board for snowboard mountaineering that still can have fun in powder. The stiffness and shape provide great edge hold on steeps and variable conditions. Combined with the lightness the board feels solid slamming down jump turns in steep terrain. I’d recommend it as an all around board.

Quote Originally Posted by brianaswell View Post
    Improvements could include a topsheet that doesn’t attract as much snow, maybe a white one.
    No kidding, how many times do people need to say this before the manufacturers will take notice...almost all of G3's skis are BLACK this year. Black Diamond seems to be the only one going white with it's 2015 touring ski line.