Epic Discovery, a Summer Mountain Adventure – at Vail Mountain

This press release just came across our desks over here at the Independent Skier Magazine. We're pretty sure that people here will have some things to say about it. Regardless of if you hate Vail, the mountain, or Vail Resorts, the company, or if you love both of them, the real question is what will happen to ski areas during the summer, is this the future?

We know what we think, but we are looking forward to what you have to say.

---
    Draft Record of Decision Guidelines Published for Vail Mountain’s Epic Discovery Proposal

VAIL, Colo. – Aug. 22, 2014 – The U.S. Forest Service has published a draft record of decision regarding the Vail Resorts, Inc.’s (NYSE: MTN) first-of-its-kind comprehensive summer activities proposal – Epic Discovery, a Summer Mountain Adventure – at Vail Mountain, one of the largest ski resorts in the world.

The primary activities and enhancements included in the draft record of decision are as follows:

Micro-Interpretive Centers for Education: Integrated with trails and activities around the mountain, these interpretive experiential centers will provide guests with hands-on information and activities about forest health, wildlife and the mountain geography of the White River National Forest.
    Game Creek and Front Side Zip Line Tours: The ultimate outdoor experiences, these guided tours will immerse guests in the forest habitat with an array of zip lines and aerial bridges. Guests will learn about the mountain ecosystem while working their way through each course’s challenges.
    More Hiking and Mountain Biking Trails: Comprehensive interpretive and directional signage will be integrated to encourage more hiking and mountain biking across Vail Mountain and descending into the villages below.
    Family Forest Adventure Park: A playground of rope challenges and bridges to introduce young children to the wonders of the forest.
    Forest Flyer™: An alpine coaster that runs on raised rails, the Forest Flyer™ winds its way down the mountain, following the natural contours of the landscape through the forest.
    Wildwood Observation Deck: A panoramic viewing balcony nestled within awe-inspiring scenery of alpine forests, meadows of wildflowers and wildlife.
    The proposal, which was submitted in July 2012 and has undergone a comprehensive environmental review, followed the passage of the Ski Area Recreational Opportunities Enhancement Act, championed by U.S. Senator Mark Udall of Colorado. Following a 45-day objection period, Vail Resorts expects the final record of decision to be published this fall and to begin construction of trails, activities and the interpretive program in summer 2015.

“The draft decision is a significant step in being able to provide visitors from around the world with tremendous opportunities to learn about the ecosystem and wildlife on our mountains through fun experiences on Vail Mountain during the summertime,” said Chris Jarnot, senior vice president and chief operating officer of Vail Mountain. “Epic Discovery will make the national forest more accessible and engaging, and will also create jobs in our community and contribute positively to the local economy. None of this would be possible without our partnership with the U.S. Forest Service as well as the support of Colorado’s elected officials and the passage of legislation.”

The Epic Discovery initiative will encourage “learning through play” by combining extensive environmental educational elements with numerous fun experiential activities for kids and adults. The combined result will offer guests an unparalleled opportunity to try new outdoor activities, challenge themselves physically, discover an appreciation for nature and create lasting memories.

“Thanks to my bipartisan Ski Area Recreational Opportunity Enhancement Act, Colorado ski areas and resort communities have the tools they need to create jobs, strengthen tourism and boost outdoor recreation. The U.S. Forest Service's draft decision today in favor of Vail Resorts' efforts to enhance its ski area and promote economic development is a step in the right direction,” U.S. Senator Mark Udall said. “I urge Coloradans to engage with the U.S. Forest Service and local resorts to ensure the law continues to be used to strengthen local economies and support jobs while protecting our natural resources.”

Through a partnership with the leading conservation non-profit organization, The Nature Conservancy, Epic Discovery will bring scientific content to the eco-discovery experiences. Vail Resorts plans to contribute one percent of all summer lift ticket and activity revenue to The Nature Conservancy for forest restoration projects on national forest lands through a new program called “1% For The Forest”.

Epic Discovery activities and environmental interpretive programming will be designed to be compatible with the existing on-mountain infrastructure of lifts and trails, blending into the natural environment in an unobtrusive manner.

Epic Discovery at Vail Mountain is the first installment of summer mountain adventure plans that Vail Resorts has for several of its world-class resorts, including Breckenridge and Heavenly.

---

You can download Independent Skier Magazine for free for your iPad or iPhone here: http://tinyurl.com/muuzuhp

What's a Vail?

Sounds like an awesome idea to me. If there are people willing to pay and it makes business sense why not? I'd never go there but then again I live in Colorado and already spend every free moment enjoying the mountains, forest, lakes and rivers. There's millions of kids growing up who have parents that don't know where to start with getting off the beaten path. If this gets them even a glimpse of what this life is all about then more power to them. I'd just like to request that they also educate them about responsible OHV travel and give them this wonderful experience so they don't go back to NY and buy into some BS bleeding heart story from the Sierra club and donate a bunch of money and write their legislators telling them we need more "wilderness" out west.

I think there's South Park episode where they get stuck on a zipline tour. Pretty funny.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tomwintermedia View Post
    We know what we think, but we are looking forward to what you have to say.
    You can download Independent Skier Magazine for free for your iPad or iPhone here:
    STFU & GTFO, Spammer.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

What sad times we live in that a pathetic pitch like that is used.

Wanna string crap all over the mountain to make money in the summer. = Fine!

Pitch it as some tree hugging, save the world, future enviro-Nazi creating cluster fuck. = Piss off and die!

My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    STFU & GTFO, Spammer.
    LOL, quite the intellectual response, Mr, TeleMark. The reality is that recent changes to USFS forest service policy actually mean that this kind of "recreation" could come to a ski area very close to you. Even your own hill. But maybe because you tele, you may not care because you don't ride lifts, or you live in some "core" ski town where this will "never" happen. That's OK, but for many of us who enjoy the mountains and ride lifts or maybe are not residents of such a core ski town as yourself, maybe we don't want a zip line over our favorite section of singletrack on our local ski hill.

I personally don't think people will care. At least not right now, because, yeah, well, it's Vail. Who cares what happens in Disneyland, right?

But it's worth noting that where Vail Resorts goes, other mountains follow. If there is a company that can squeeze every penny out of a ski hill, that would be Vail Resorts. And anyone who is in the industry, particularly in mountain operations, knows how insanely tough it is to make money as a ski resort, focusing on skiing alone. Other people at other ski areas will look at this and then re-evaluate their summer ops model, you can count on it.

I have mixed feelings about some sort of viewing tower on top of a ski mountain for people to go up and take photos, that's for sure. I am of the school that the mountain is the "observation deck" and that for people to enjoy the views you don't need to build, " a panoramic viewing balcony nestled within awe-inspiring scenery of alpine forests, meadows of wildflowers and wildlife."

How far should this stuff go? And once it starts, where will it end?

Ummm you're going to complain about a zipline/coaster/deck on a piece of property that has several dozen lift, distinct clear cuts, large restaurants and all that infrastructure that comes with a ski resort? mmmmmmk.

Quote Originally Posted by snowswine View Post
    Ummm you're going to complain about a zipline/coaster/deck on a piece of property that has several dozen lift, distinct clear cuts, large restaurants and all that infrastructure that comes with a ski resort? mmmmmmk.
    Agreed... Once you have lift served development for skiing, you are already on a slippery slope. Would I want to see Silverton disneyfied? No. Vail? That's another story...
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Sounds like an awesome idea to me. If there are people willing to pay and it makes business sense why not? I'd never go there but then again I live in Colorado and already spend every free moment enjoying the mountains, forest, lakes and rivers. There's millions of kids growing up who have parents that don't know where to start with getting off the beaten path. If this gets them even a glimpse of what this life is all about then more power to them. I'd just like to request that they also educate them about responsible OHV travel and give them this wonderful experience so they don't go back to NY and buy into some BS bleeding heart story from the Sierra club and donate a bunch of money and write their legislators telling them we need more "wilderness" out west.
    Well, fuck, just go take them for a hike, for god's sake.

Hey, did they ever find those Eco terrorists who burned the lodges up there a few years ago? Looks like more material for the next attack.

Oh, and, to the OP, go take your marketing degree and bury it in the woods somewhere, and get the fuck out of here. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Oh, and, to the OP, go take your marketing degree and bury it in the woods somewhere, and get the fuck out of here. Please.

^^^ this ^^^^
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    If it's anything like this, then they're on to a winner.

Massive success in North Wales.

http://www.zipworld.co.uk/what-to-ex...orld-velocity/

Quote Originally Posted by tomwintermedia View Post
    But maybe because you tele, you may not care because you don't ride lifts, or you live in some "core" ski town where this will "never" happen. That's OK, but for many of us who enjoy the mountains and ride lifts or maybe are not residents of such a core ski town as yourself
    Knowing Mr.TeleMark a little bit, I found this good for a laugh.

Um yeah, Mr.MediaGuy, spamming this forum is considered pretty poor taste. Gives me a craving for popcorn.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Can't you flat land transplants just leave poor colorado alone. What's next Disney mountain Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by kailas View Post
    Can't you flat land transplants just leave poor colorado alone. What's next Disney mountain Colorado.
    I thought that's what this proposal was...

And one plug from an indy ski mag and you guys go nuts... oh, wait, it's almost September... sounds about right. Someone post a SA stoke filled post soon please.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

"this is a tiny town we dont want you coming around so if you should happen to come to our little town
    It might be wise if you didn't hang around"

you might not get out much bro but this was all so last year done deal thanks to homos like udoosh polio bennant and dinkenlooper then again who really cares $14.00 burger sign me up

So this guys premise is that this hasn't really been done before, but now that Vail is doing it, everyone will.

Take a look at the Northeast. Places like Attitash and Jay have full on water parks. This is nothing new, and for a ski industry rag, you should know fucking better.
    Live Free or Die

Facepalm...

Welcome back sometime soon, Mircat!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Facepalm...

Welcome back sometime soon, Mircat!
    Yeah, a few more weeks.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau