Gotta stain some porches...

House is about 6 years old, and I've re-stained prolly every two years. Got some peeling going on, and assume I'll need to rent a drum sander, and probably buy a belt sander, or detail sander for the close stuff.

Anyone know how long a 36'x12' and a 32'x8' porch should take to get stain-ready? I'm hoping for a single day rental on the drum sander, and maybe don't even need to take them all the way down to bare wood if I'm going to use the same color (opaque) stain?

Porches are covered, but still see some direct sun exposure. Dry and high altitude climate if it makes any difference.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Why not get a spray on stripper and power wash it? There is some great products out there that are enviro safe. Just be careful not to get the stream to close to the wood as it will groove the wood. Should take about a day to get both decks ready to stain if handrail is applicable as well. If just flat deck area then 4 hrs. tops. I ran a paint business for a buddy for a year while he was in treatment for cancer and deck strip and stains were the gravy money.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Why not get a spray on stripper and power wash it? There is some great products out there that are enviro safe.
    This.

Past couple of times I used them. Haven't even needed to power wash just hose off.

Which reminds me they should get done again this summer.... fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Why not get a spray on stripper

What will they think of next?
    watch out for snakes

A Freudian slip the title read in my twisted mind as "Gotta stain some Porsches" ... better have another drink
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    What will they think of next?
    I lol'ed.

After reading some product reviews, I'm a little baffled. Some products and reviews make stripping look like the best option, others not so much. Are the negative reviewers just jongs, or are they using the wrong product for the job? Also, do you have to apply something after the stripper before staining? (like say a condom?)

FWIW, stain is a semi-transparent Behr latex based (I think), and I'll probably be using the same or similar afterwards, but maybe not if someone can recommend something more durable?

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    FWIW, stain is a semi-transparent Behr latex based (I think), and I'll probably be using the same or similar afterwards, but maybe not if someone can recommend something more durable?
    2 of the best:
    Mesmer's UV Plus
    http://www.messmers.com/messmers-uv-plus-deck-stain

or

Sikkens semi-transparent
    http://www.perfectwoodstains.com/vie...ry=deck-stains

if you want color options, go with Sikkens...they have a ton

Behr is the worst. If you get it to bare wood use semi-trans oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Two06 View Post
    Behr is the worst. If you get it to bare wood use semi-trans oil.
    This exactly.

Behr sucks balls. Don't buy the stain from Home Cheapo. Go alkyd if you can.

Ben Moore Arbor Coat 326 in Natural. I use it all the time... And third on using a deck washing product.

Oil stain that doesn't dry sticky. Be careful because many oil products don't fully penetrate and then stay tacky for months.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

It's going to mean more work for me, but I'm leaning towards going to bare wood, and using semi-trans oil. The wife and I picked the current color from a chip chart, but I've never liked the way it looks on the porch. Need to avoid teh stickyz though; we live on a dirt road, and that shit will be a dust magnet.

Wipe it down per the instructions to avoid sticky areas

We use Watco on log furniture on a very sunny deck at 9K'. It holds up really well and really brings out the color of the wood. Never sticky spots after a day. I know someone else who uses it on their deck and it seems to hold up well to heavy traffic.

http://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-...or-wood-finish

duckback superdeck oil stain. http://www.superdeck.com/products/superdeck-for-wood/
    I've brushed it, rolled it, sprayed it with a deck sprayer and with a power sprayer. It makes a mess however you do it and is miserable to clean up afterward but it's worth it. Lasts better than anything else we've used and repels water better.
    we've used behr, we've used latex based stains. crap.

^Yep, hopefully that crap at least comes off easily.

If you use a deck stripper there should be a corresponding cleaner/brightener that also acts as the neutralizer for the stripper. You might still have to sand though. Just sand it with an DA sander and by hand, as the drum sander will be a nightmare on that deck. Oil all the way. Stain is a penetrant and should not form a film on the surface, which is why you need to wipe any areas that aren't penetrating or 'glazing' over(be careful of any rag used to clean or wipe stain, fire waiting to happen). Flood coat the stain. Stain should not peel, which is why the latex/ acrylic products suck teh ballz, they form a surface film, which actually promotes deck decay because the water cannot evaporate from the boards.
    We use SuperDeck almost exclusively and it is a great product. Ben Moore makes a great stain too, but as usual they are way too proud of their product. Can't really make a blanket statement about Home Depot, our local store carries Penofin , which is a great product. The UV Plus is good and also have used Flood CWF-UV 5 oil with great results. There are hybrid products out there that say 'oil', but actually clean up with water, so watch out for those.
    And most important.... Have fun(and I'm serious about those rags)!

Also, skip the drum sander. A 5" Random Orbital and 60 grit pads would be better. Stripper would be best but its easier to fuck up, make sure you cover anything you don't want to strip!

In the middle of this exact same job. py "terra cotta" Behr stain on there now... doing my damndest to get it all off before I can apply some good stuff. Taking way too long (told the wife it'd be done a week ago).

Used Peel Away stripper in a garden sprayer which was really good but required a bit more than you'd think to get all the crap off. When I ran out of Peel Away I went to the HD and bought Behr deck stripper in a pinch which seemed way more toxic and didn't do as good a job. Nope...not a fan of Behr products right now.

I'm now at a point where I'll just take a 5" orbital sander to the small patches where the stain wouldn't come out. Using Daly's brightener and stain going forward.

In less than the time it takes to sand those decks, you could take all that wood off and replace it with Trex. Never stain again, pride in re-using milk crates, attains a "weathered" look with age, and never splinters. At least that's what I did.

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<