Bronchitis...paging mechanics (NSR)

This novice mechanic needs some advice. Bear with me because I had to upload these pics from my computer rather than the intraweb. As such, and if you give a shit, click the appropriate pictures below as I reference them during my explaination of this ongoing truck issue.

I own a 72 early bronco. (picture: "bronco"). 302 V8, top of the line everything. (Broad picture of engine bay: "enginebay") She has been running poorly at idle and horribly anytime I get on the gas. Out of the blue and very sporatically, she will run very well but for the most part, it feels like she wants to sputter and backfire. During these times, there is strong odor of gasoline.

Before tinkering with the carb (Carter AFB 4bbl), I have decided to eliminate the smaller possibly more likely culprits. I changed some old and cracked fuel lines, put in a new fuel filter (what I believed to be the most probable problem), and put in new wires. I have tracked my fuel line and see only one filter and the lines seem good. After this, I am still having problems.

So, I notice that a wire is frayed under the hood and upon further inspection, it completely breaks (picture: "node"). First question, what the hell is the thing that this wire is connected to? Just a ground for the fuel pump? This wire travels down the driver's side of the engine and near the front header it attaches to something else that I am unfamiliar with (picture: "othernode"). What are these things? Could this bad connection be one of the problems?

Also, I am wondering whether my PCV line is clogged (I think it is the PCV valve) and whether this could cause my problems. It goes from the valve cover (picture: "PCV1") to the carb (picture:"PCV2").

I am hoping to get some answers to these questions as I can't figure them out based upon my Chilton's manual. Other possibilities I can think of (and please correct me if you think I am wrong and/or tell me which you think is the next most likely):
    -plugs are bad (even though I think they were just changed about 5K ago)
    - ignition coil is faulty
    - fuel pump is bad?
    - and the dreaded possibility that I have to fuck with my carb.

So, can anyone identify these things in the pics? Any other suggestions? Grassy ass.

Last picture:

No clue about the engine troubles, but that's a pretty kickass ride.

the pcv looks like pcv just replace it, they are cheap.. while you are at it just connect the wire back up, it looks like a temp sensor or something..

did you fix the wire yet? That looks to be a temp sensor (i know next to nuttin about older ford gassers) that the wire attaches too.

have you checked your fuel pressure?

Is your timing bolt tight?

I seriously doubt that the CCV could be causing your problems even if you had a ton of blowby I don't think your symptoms would be like that.

sweet truck though. (PM BobMC for some expert interweb diagnosing)
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Sweet rig!

That first "node" looks like a thermometer- if it is and it's broken, then the temp will read cold. Actually, this makes sense because I recall that the 302 runs coolant through the intake manifold. The 351M/400 had a dry manifold, ergo, the temp gauge was in the block.

The second "node" is your oil pressure, I think. Dammit, iVIVA!'s getting old and does'nt remember these things like he used to.

In you final pix, yeah, that thar be the PCV valvy-poo. Cheap to replace.

Oh, ditch the Carter 625 and get a Holly 600. Also, get a K&N air filter, the biggest you can squeez under your hood.

Edit- If you's still having problemos, test the fuel pump by disconnecting the outflow, directing the flow into a bucket, and cranking the engine. If the stream is flacid, maybe you need a new pump. Do Not smoke when performing this here procedure, mmmmmkay?
    Last edited by Viva; 09-19-2006 at 03:42 PM.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by dubu
    the pcv looks like pcv just replace it, they are cheap.. while you are at it just connect the wire back up, it looks like a temp sensor or something..
    temp sensor is a good possibility. i plan on rewiring it regardless but I still want to be sure what it is. And Mitch, thanks for the comments. I like her too but she can be a bitch sometimes.

Fuel pressure regulator went out on my old Volvo once, and it was a fuel douchefest, it ran the shittiest of shitty.

Bum or shorting (arcing to something?) coil can make things run shitty too.

How's your timing? Point ignition can be a pain in the ass. Plug lead harness ok? The smell of fuel and backfiring could mean unignited charges in one or more of the cylinders.

Thanks for posting those LB. I guess temp sensor has the majority vote. Hell, that can be a problem for a different day I suppose. The PCV is chep so I will replace that as well (I heard that I can start the engine and remove the valve from the cover and see if there is a vacuum also).

Viva, I have planned on getting a huge KN in there but that is gonna come after getting my transfer case back to snuff--WINTER'S COMING so that is priority.

You guys think it could be the fuel pump?

I will PM BobMc as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear
    Fuel pressure regulator went out on my old Volvo once, and it was a fuel douchefest, it ran the shittiest of shitty.

Bum or shorting (arcing to something?) coil can make things run shitty too.

How's your timing? Point ignition can be a pain in the ass. Plug lead harness ok? The smell of fuel and backfiring could mean unignited charges in one or more of the cylinders.
    I have a MSD electronic ignition so I dont have to deal with breakers and condensors etc. I think the timing is good. I am going to replace the plugs anyway and see if that helps. And yes, I forgot about the fuel regulator-that could be it too. Goddamn this is getting out of hand and all the while I am sure it will come down to just one small inexpensive and ellusive problem.

Off to the parts store now to do some recon...

I got an old 68 scout that ran like that. When I changed the oil (read actually pulled the pan) there were bits of metal - after closer inspection they were bearings, and more inspection figured they came from the cam shaft. That was 15 years ago. I just plow the driveway with it now.
    Sometimes it runs... sometimes it don't. Someday I'll tear it apart & fix it.
    Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa
    I got an old 68 scout that ran like that. When I changed the oil (read actually pulled the pan) there were bits of metal - after closer inspection they were bearings, and more inspection figured they came from the cam shaft. That was 15 years ago. I just plow the driveway with it now.
    Sometimes it runs... sometimes it don't. Someday I'll tear it apart & fix it.
    Food for thought.
    Cue the depressing tuba sound. Wah Wahhhhhh.

Does bad running coincide with the change in the weather around here recently?

= plug leads
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw
    I am going to replace the plugs anyway and see if that helps. And yes, I forgot about the fuel regulator-that could be it too.
    Check the plugs first. If they're (or just one) fouled then that might explain the symptoms. A fouled plug(s) may be an indicator of more serious damage like a leaky head gasket or a bad valve, especailly after only 5K.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Sounds like a carb problem to me. How old is the carb?

Possible defective electric choke? Too low float level? Clogged jet?

Did the driveability problem appear over time or did it start all of a sudden?

Carb problem checklist:

http://www.recarbco.com/technical/newtrouble.html

Nice truck. But I sure don't miss the carb era.

First rule of driveability problems:

Check the ignition circuit. Points, plugs, ignition wires, cap, etc...

If you smell gas, find out which plug(s) is f'd up, and trace it to that circuit.

If every thing else checks out ok, it's the fuel circuit. Choke, float level, plugged fuel, dirty carb...

There's only an ignition and a fuel circuit on a '72. Start with the basics.

Could just be shitty gas...don't overthink...once again, it's pre-computer

edit: btw, sweet ride...I'll give ya $1500 for it, delivered to PDX, if ya cant fix it
    Signature removed for non-payment

Give me a call after 9pm tonight (I'm cheap and gotta use my free minutes) and I'll see what I can do to help ya out..I'm pretty familiar with the old ford engines, and can probably help you out.. Its easier to talk on the phone and walk through a few things with you than to PM back and forth. I've PM'd you with my number.

"node" 1, temperature sender for the gauge, will not have anything to do with your problem.

"node" 2, oil pressure sending unit, once again, nothing to do with your problem.

You're probably gonna end up fucking with the carb, good luck, heh.

BobMc

That wire is most definitely your water temp sending unit. I have a 71 that is just for wheelin(i.e ugly p.o.s). These guys have mentioned some good things to try. From the symptons is sounds like fuel delivery issue. Fuel pumps aren't very expensive, even an electric, and are very easy to replace. Timing could do it also and the plugs are easy to check. You mine as well get familiar with your ride as they need constant attention, but sure do kick ass. Also check out www.classicbroncos.com Here's my ugly ride in the snow this past weekend

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit
    That wire is most definitely your water temp sending unit. I have a 71 that is just for wheelin(i.e ugly p.o.s). These guys have mentioned some good things to try. From the symptons is sounds like fuel delivery issue. Fuel pumps aren't very expensive, even an electric, and are very easy to replace. Timing could do it also and the plugs are easy to check. You mine as well get familiar with your ride as they need constant attention, but sure do kick ass. Also check out www.classicbroncos.com Here's my ugly ride in the snow this past weekend
    I noticed that yours is actually moving. It may be a bit ragged but it beats sittin in the garage. By the way, I am a member over at classicbroncos.com but I thought I would try this crowd out, especially since my contributor status has lapsed and I couldn't post pics over there.

Shmoesmith, thanks for the PM and sorry for the delay in calling.