Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Way to go Utah

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    This is something that being a cheese head I am not proud of, calendar year 2016

Ignition Interlocks Prevented Thousands Of Drunk Driving Attempts
    More Than 37,000 Drunk Driving Attempts Were Prevented Last Year
    For the record, only repeat offenders and offenders convicted with BAC of +.15 get ignition interlocks. 37,000 trying to drive within one year of a DWI conviction is pretty shocking.

For the record, only repeat offenders and offenders convicted with BAC of +.15 get ignition interlocks. 37,000 trying to drive within one year of a DWI conviction is pretty shocking.
    Any breakdown on how many individuals those 37k events were attempted by?

Is anyone In favor of interlocks on all cars like MADD wants? They serve a purpose for the exact kind of drunk driver that can't control themselves no doubt. But we don't live in a society where the burden to prove you can exercise living freely is placed on the whole because of the very very few. Licensure and rules and laws? Of course, but not an outright bar.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    And how many blows were party entertainment (that's what she said).

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Also not true, it's a primary offense. Meaning they can pull you over, and the fines are some of the strictest in the nation.
    fines don't mean shit without enforcement
    surely you don't think that those distracted driving laws are being enforced anywhere near the level of dui
    i see texters every fuckin day i'm not sure how the po po dont
    id laugh my ass off if everyone of them was on the side of the road with a vehicle that was disabled because you were engaged in an illegal activity that is imo just as dangerous if not more than driving with a .05 buzz on
    but that will never happen
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Is anyone In favor of interlocks on all cars like MADD wants? They serve a purpose for the exact kind of drunk driver that can't control themselves no doubt. But we don't live in a society where the burden to prove you can exercise living freely is placed on the whole because of the very very few. Licensure and rules and laws? Of course, but not an outright bar.

The information was from Wisconsin NPR and no it did not say how many attempts. I see your point, a guy trying to start his car would likely make multiple attempts.

Wisconsin law requires first-time drunken drivers with blood alcohol contents of at least 0.15 percent as well as all repeat offenders to use interlocks. Drivers breathe into the devices, which can detect whether they're above the 0.08 blood alcohol content percentage limit for driving. If a driver is over, the device prevents the vehicle from starting, according to The Associated Press.

Wisconsin Public Radio, © Copyright 2017, Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System and Wisconsin Educational Communications Board. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The information was from Wisconsin NPR and no it did not say how many attempts. I see your point, a guy trying to start his car would likely make multiple attempts.

Wisconsin law requires first-time drunken drivers with blood alcohol contents of at least 0.15 percent as well as all repeat offenders to use interlocks. Drivers breathe into the devices, which can detect whether they're above the 0.08 blood alcohol content percentage limit for driving. If a driver is over, the device prevents the vehicle from starting, according to The Associated Press.

Wisconsin Public Radio, © Copyright 2017, Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System and Wisconsin Educational Communications Board. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    If I had one of those, I'd blow into it frequently just to see where I'm at, before going to bed. Not in an attempt to drive, I'd just be curious. That's the crazy thing about DUI laws, it's guesswork on how many drinks are too many, and every day is slightly different.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    If I had one of those, I'd blow into it frequently just to see where I'm at, before going to bed. Not in an attempt to drive, I'd just be curious. That's the crazy thing about DUI laws, it's guesswork on how many drinks are too many, and every day is slightly different.
    You can buy Cheap and accurate breathelizers online for $40. Throw it in your glove box of your nervous about driving impaired.

I'll be picking one up for sure with this .05 bullshit, but I generally know what level I'm at, and have to admit, .08 is pretty impaired for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

^^^Very true. However, you forgot to mention the right lane jihadists, who are the absolute worst. Riding in the left lane, and passing in the right lane should warrant a careless driving ticket
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Way back in college my parents thought it would be funny (but also serious, nudge, nudge) to give me and my siblings those portable breathalyzers you'd find at Brookstone or some shit in our stockings at Christmas.

After a quick laugh, and comment from Dad about the virtues of these things we tossed em aside. That is until I got back to my college house a couple weeks later where it instantly became a game of who could blow the highest or who could call their shot and blow the most accurately after walking home from the bar.

Three times in less than 10 miles yesterday slow right lane drivers randomly moved to the center lane, for no seemingly good reason, forcing me to get on the brakes and slow to ~10 under. Left lane was cruising along nicely at 10-15 over so not much opportunity to just jump in without fucking up the flow because I'd have been doing 20-25 less than the prevailing speed so the right lane becomes the only option. Move to the right, look over and all three of them were using their phones This is such a common occurrence anymore it almost forces you to just roll in the left lane and only leave it to exit or pass the moron toodling along at or under the speed limit.

RE: Interlock - Why can't you just have a sober passenger blow into it? The whole scenario is frustrating, it's been years since I've had more than a small beer when we go out to dinner for fear of a checkpoint or just general dumb shit happening on the way home. Here in NY it's a felony if you have minors in the car and get popped for dui. At least now my kids are driving so we have built in designated drivers if necessary but they're not great at night time traffic driving yet so we haven't taken advantage of it.

It's a money making endeavor from the get go. Weed can't be legal until it's measurable like this. It's the iron fist tightening its grip. And they can still give you a dui if you don't blow up to their expectations. At least that involves a decision unlike the 10,000 new ICE agents are after. You can't even buy new Kastles without worrying if your money is going to be declared guilty of something.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Like the speed cameras we have all over the place around here. They say they're a public safety thing, and have said that ideally they'd just be a deterrant and everyone would go the speed limit and they'd get no money from the cameras. So why do they hide them and paint them green to blend in with the vegetation so you can't see them? It's just a money grab is why.

edit: fix typo
    Last edited by iceman; 03-26-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Like the speed cameras we have all over the place around here. They say they're a public safety thing, and have said that ideally they'd just be a deterrant and everyone would go the speed limit and they'd get no money from the cameras. So why do they hide them and paint them creen to blend in with the vegetation so you can't see them? It's just a money grab is why.
    A lawsuit I followed closely over the past couple years regarding speed cameras in Ohio (family friend was on the plaintiffs team), and the ensuing legislation to place strict restrictions on their use was incredibly eye opening.

You'd have communities of 500 people that happened to butt up against a major route and would be raking in tens of millions of dollars, as well as the widespread issue of every single municipality issuing tickets for infractions for as little as 2 mph over.

Nevermind the graft that happened with the out of state companies running the damned things or what happened to the cash once it started flowing into the city coffers.

Long ago driving safety took a back seat to revenue enhancement.

Speed camera tickets get lost in the mail. Did you sign it?
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Speed camera tickets get lost in the mail. Did you sign it?
    They're tricky here, you don't have to sign, the car is ticketed not the driver. So it's 40 bucks a pop, and it doubles after a couple weeks. And you can't renew your registration with outstanding tickets.

They're fairly reasonable on the speed, you get 11 mph over, 12 gets you a ticket. In DC it's crazy, it can be hundreds of dollars and cameras are everywhere. Drive the limit n DC.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    this .05 bullshit,
    have to admit, .08 is pretty impaired for me.
    Not trying to pick a fight, and disclaimer I've never had my bac tested so I have no concrete level. But how could you feel impaired at .08 and .05 is BS. Isn't that like half a beer different?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Not trying to pick a fight, and disclaimer I've never had my bac tested so I have no concrete level. But how could you feel impaired at .08 and .05 is BS. Isn't that like half a beer different?
    It's cool, I don't fight till .12 like I said .08 for me is plenty tipsy, but that's my personal limits. I don't drink a lot, combine weed, and I can feel the effects.

I feel that the .05 is bullshit because a bunch of know-nothing mos are trying to control our personal choices. Possibly ruining careers and lives by handing out DWIs like speeding tickets. If the national consensus is that. 08 is adequate I don't know why they have to change it.

It's Also a bit of compounding going on with the bac scale; a .05 and say .067 (what I blew last time) feel like a world apart as far as how drink I feel.
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I feel that the .05 is bullshit because a bunch of know-nothing mos are trying to control our personal choices. Possibly ruining careers and lives by handing out DWIs like speeding tickets. If the national consensus is that. 08 is adequate I don't know why they have to change it.
    mormons are quite the scientists, so I'm told

As a proud member of DAMM (drunks against mad mothers) I am outraged by this decision

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    They're tricky here, you don't have to sign, the car is ticketed not the driver. So it's 40 bucks a pop, and it doubles after a couple weeks. And you can't renew your registration with outstanding tickets.

They're fairly reasonable on the speed, you get 11 mph over, 12 gets you a ticket. In DC it's crazy, it can be hundreds of dollars and cameras are everywhere. Drive the limit n DC.
    We're getting our first ticketing cameras here now and they're set for 2 over. They are placing them on downhills and on corners so you can't take the car out of second gear in some spots because you will inevitably roll out over 30 without even trying. If you're driving an auto you're fkd.

Late night Purchase:

After dorking out to breathalyzer reviews and specs for the last hour I decided to spend a little extra and get a legit fuel-cell sensor, similar to what LEO use.

The Bactrack One keychains for around $30 are neat, fun and convenient but not terribly accurate
    get paid

Like you said, if you drive for a living that's good peace of mind insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromontana View Post
    I try not to use it but it's the only lane people leave open. Go up & down Parleys & odds are the right lane is least crowded. Americans have atrocious highway etiquette, right lane passing is a function of that lack of structure. That said I've been surprised the past year or so how many people camped in the left lane will move to the center if you're patient. Seems to be getting better, but anecdotes aren't exactly science.
    Are you over .08 right now? The right lane on Parley's is always full of semis and double tanker trucks. Weaving between them at 80+ mph is a good way to get yourself or someone else killed.

Chicago installed red light cameras to "reduce traffic" accidents, wink wink. Collected $500 million in fines, the dirt is in the detail. Company that provided the cameras, Redflex, bribed the City Procurement Mgr., City employee went to jail for 10 years, two Redflex Exec's also went to jail. The rest of the story is:

City shortened the yellow light length at intersections with cameras so that it was nearly impossible to get through the intersection when the light turned yellow.

City sent tickets requiring a response in fewer days that what the City ordinance required.

Judges starting throwing out most red light camera violations due to above.

Turns out that drivers quickly learned they had to stop regardless of their location in the intersection resulting in MORE accidents than before the cameras were installed.

To top if off last month the City re-approved Redlex as a qualified bidder, its the "Chicago Way"

Any doctors want to comment on this? Anything that comes out of Herbert's mouth is suspect.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...a3cmsmscbx1or&
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.