Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    No in fact the Feds own / control 63.12% of the State of Utah through the BLM, NFS, National Park Service, tribal land, military bases etc. The State of Utah controls just over 7%. In the case of Nevada the Feds control 81%. If you want to say that is public land I guess you can make that case although public access is not allowed on some of this property. I have checked numerous sources and the numbers are very consistent. Here is a list by state. I would never suggest touching NFS land or Park land but looking at BLM land in Utah there could some room for compromise.

http://www.nrcm.org/documents/publiclandownership.pdf
    The Feds own 63% of land in Utah, which means the state pays next to nothing to manage it. Yet local businesses (and thus the state) reap the vast majority of the benefit from the tourism on those lands. Utah benefits without significant cost.

Could the state make more money if they owned the land and could lease it out however they wanted? Maybe. But I'd bet a shiny nickel that it'd come at the cost of poor management of everything that didn't have a well on it.

The place to start learning about federal lands and the like is "Beyond the 100th Meridian" by Stegner. JW Powell did a lot more than go on a float trip.

The only good bagels are Montreal bagels. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    No in fact the Feds own / control 63.12% of the State of Utah through the BLM, NFS, National Park Service, tribal land, military bases etc.
    The "feds" don't control Tribal Land.

If it's truly desolate land without value - who's going to buy it? And why? This is more about sweetheart giveaways, like divestments often are.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    The only good bagels are Montreal bagels. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
    Bullshit. The French make good croissants, not bagels.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    A lot of Jews in Montreal. Also in Detroit, where the best bagels actually come from. And BTW, letting gentiles have bagels was a really bad idea. Never heard of a Jew slicing his or her hand open trying to slice a bagel or having one stuck in a toaster catch on fire. Happens to gentiles all the time. Not to mention the crap they put in bagels--whole wheat, banana nut, pumpkin for god's sake, I could go on and on but I'm starting to get nauseated.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The Feds own 63% of land in Utah, which means the state pays next to nothing to manage it. Yet local businesses (and thus the state) reap the vast majority of the benefit from the tourism on those lands. Utah benefits without significant cost.

Could the state make more money if they owned the land and could lease it out however they wanted? Maybe. But I'd bet a shiny nickel that it'd come at the cost of poor management of everything that didn't have a well on it.
    To add to this, the forest service's budget works out to $28 per acre. In utah that comes to $230 million. Also half the FS budget now goes to firefighting.

I am wondering what will prevent the states from turning around and selling any acquired federal land to the highest bidder.

Wow, now there's an endorsement. But, I still bet the pizza sucks. Furgetabout the mozzarella.
    Meh there is one joint Estes pizza. Few locations. Some guys from CT. Good pizza, but still not NY or its surrounding areas. Thats one thing I miss for sure.

Pizza pretty much sucks here. Nothing like back east. I will have to try this estes pizza! I hear good things about settebello. We goto the pie but its definitely not NY style.

I would shut the fuck up about bears ears for some good pizza!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Feldmand Deli is pretty rad. "Only authentic Jewish Deli in Utah".

I have no idear if it's like back east, but the few items I've tried are damn good. Like the sloppy joe.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Feldmand Deli is pretty rad. "Only authentic Jewish Deli in Utah".

I have no idear if it's like back east, but the few items I've tried are damn good. Like the sloppy joe.
    For fucks sake. Jews don't make sloppy Joes. Oy.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Meh there is one joint Estes pizza. Few locations. Some guys from CT. Good pizza, but still not NY or its surrounding areas. Thats one thing I miss for sure.
    How's the Chinese?

I eat Mexican exclusively when in SLC. As an Eastener, I have to say, awesome. And cheap.

mmmm pastrami burgers

Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 02-19-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Wait, they are CT folk making pizza, as a child of that hedge fund riddled state I could go for some CT style pizza. Guess I can't keep procrastinating from trying Este.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Yes, and locally owned (i.e. not multinational energy corps) would suffer the consequences.

Also, comparing Utah to Nevada? Apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Pizza pretty much sucks here. Nothing like back east. I will have to try this estes pizza! I hear good things about settebello. We goto the pie but its definitely not NY style.

A friend of mine helped start Settebello. IMO it is a mere shadow of what it used to be.

Este is technically NY style, but 50% of NY style is eating it on the street in NYC.

The Pie is great, an SLC original that I have yet to find a sub for out of state.

How's the Chinese?
    Little World on State

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I'm willing to bet the average Mormon Utah'ians are happy to see OR go away. I bet they'd like to see all the outdoor industry (BD, etc) pack up and leave as well.
    Have you even met a Mormon? In general, anyone stating "the Mormons" in this thread should replace it with "the Church." Mormons are individuals trying to get by just like the rest of us. The Church absolutely has an agenda. I'm not sure the Church really cares about the federal lands issue unless there's a piece in it for them. Unfortunately, too many Mormons are caught up working, serving the Church, and raising six kids to pay any mind to politics so they just vote straight red.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    mmmm pastrami burgers
    Crown Burger FTW

mmmmm Chuck a Rama

Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 02-19-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Wait, they are CT folk making pizza, as a child of that hedge fund riddled state I could go for some CT style pizza. Guess I can't keep procrastinating from trying Este.

Two words. New Haven.

Pizza Mecca.

First, they're Quebecois, not French. Second, I bullshit not. Go St. Viateur or Fairmount Bagels if you're ever in Montreal and you won't be disappointed

J

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    given my choice of our stream access laws finally passing along the lines of MT's high water ruling
    and the circle jerk pro hoe OR circus leavin town
    well... comic con has way better sluts anyhow
    ifin utah wasn't slightly fucked up
    all the bunnies would come here
    then it would be truely fucked up
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Man, tbh I'm bummed that Utah is so fucked up. For midwesterners/east coasters Utah is really the ideal place to come ski. Getting to the front range takes friggin forever and its just painful.

Any chance we could pay the Mormons to move to Nevada?

This one time I took a girl to the pink floyd laser show at the Clark planetarium, and when it was over they only had one exit and you had to walk through a gauntlet of scowling police and aggressive police dogs. Thanks Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post

Settebello is money but it's neopolitan pizza not trad NYC.

How's the Chinese?

I eat Mexican exclusively when in SLC. As an Eastener, I have to say, awesome. And cheap.
    Only real advice I can give on Chinese is little world on state and 1300. It's dingy as fuck and by some could be coming considered nasty. Don't eat there always to go. If you're used to east coast Chinese this is the spot. Full blown Chinese menu for the Chinese community with specialities not normally seen. Many Asian patrons everytime I go. YMMV on that one.

Yeah I too eat a lot of Mexican here. Total fucking thread drift.