Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Water quality? I assume high mineral content in the water? We run almost all our car washes through RO systems now. Always softened water too. PH is also an issue and way off neutral and you run into problems getting soaps to work well.
    The water quality issue Harry is talking about is because the Sewer/Water District is restricted from discharging water that will go into the Headwaters of the Gallatin River.

Every drop of grey/brown water is supposed to be treated and then sprayed onto the Golf Course in the meadow village or pumped up to the Y/C and sprayed on the Golf Course there. Not sure if/why not the Golf Course in Spanish Peaks but that is another story entirely.

What it comes down to is that the current Sewer/Water facilities are running at a pretty full capacity with not many places to get rid of the final product. It sounded like you have spoken to the folks at the Sewer District and they had some positive thoughts if you are able to treat what you discharge.

blown away by montucky college girls, Giddy-up!
    Yeah well, I do have to say that there are some rather lovely ladies hiking the ridge at BB.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Adding a dog wash bay seems to be the new thing. Or is it a dog wash setting on sprayer? I dunno. I use work hotsy for car, but have thought about doing the dog wash in warmer season.
    Funny story about these. I was working for a guy last year where we had to disinfect equipment with bleach. We go to a car wash and start washing off gear with water and diluted bleach. Said dude proceeds to get splashed with bleach and instantly thinks that he has bleach in his eye. He runs to the dog wash station, pumps in coins for water, and accidentally starts rinses his eye with... THE DOG WASH WITH CONDITIONER!!! So not only is there bleach but now dog conditioner in his eye!! Needless to say I can't look at those dog wash stations in the same way again...

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yeah, I have been making these threads for the last 5 years or so since I got myself back in the dirty.

After getting my shit together and doing corporateish (except I am building shit instead of sitting at a desk) stuff for the last 6 years I think I finally have the balls to realize I may just have to be broke and live somewhere cool. I would like to try and do something "legitimate" but if I end up working at a bike shop and sleeping in a van so be it. There is a reason lots of people run from family businesses despite a good paycheck.

As far as women goes, well you would be astounded at the utter lack thereof in my neck of the woods. People basically turn 18 and move away. The few women that stay are diabetic whales with 3 kids from 3 different guys. Everyone else is 40-60 year old NYC expats with weekend houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    As far as women goes, well you would be astounded at the utter lack thereof in my neck of the woods. People basically turn 18 and move away. The few women that stay are diabetic whales with 3 kids from 3 different guys. Everyone else is 40-60 year old NYC expats with weekend houses.
    Didn't you have an awesome nurse girlfriend? Where did she fit into that calculus?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Didn't you have an awesome nurse girlfriend? Where did she fit into that calculus?
    Yep. I paid her way through nursing school. She got the good job and bought herself a new car and stopped putting out completely around the same time. Coincidence? Me thinks not. I had to let her go.

Ended up buying a house close to my office, but I am in bumfuck now and 50 minutes to the closest university/younger people that aren't junkies.

It was a good move financially. Like I said this little town is booming with antique dealers, etc. Great if you are married or some semi retired banker who wants to stroll along the river. Not great for single early 30s active people.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    blown away by montucky college girls, Giddy-up!
    Out of state enrollment is huge, we import quite a few from CA, CO, and WA. The local flavor can also be quite good, there just aren't so many around. Not so coincidentally, having ye olde Bridger Bowl right down the street means a lot of them came here to play outside, those are the girls that tend to wear their lululemon well. Bozeman does not suck in that regard.

whiteroom, my honest answer to your OP would be that maybe there are better places to look than Bozeman. Having not permanently established myself here, I will be looking for an exit strategy when I'm finished with school. It seems like if you didn't import your money with your girlfriend, and aren't interested in slaving away in the service industry, that opportunity is finite and would take commitment having missed the starting bell. I would prefer to take limited resources to where they are more competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Out of state enrollment is huge, we import quite a few from CA, CO, and WA. The local flavor can also be quite good, there just aren't so many around. Not so coincidentally, having ye olde Bridger Bowl right down the street means a lot of them came here to play outside, those are the girls that tend to wear their lululemon well. Bozeman does not suck in that regard.
    You are correct. When I started college at MSU; the female prospects were bleak. For a time, it was known as BoyzMan, Mantana. Fitting. Over the years, the talent got much, much better. And I got older...

Name:  download.png
Views: 621
Size:  289.3 KB

I fucking cleaned up in Bozeman in terms of girls age 20-35 when there, because I took care of myself, crush fucking weights in the gym, and the outdoors. If you don't look like all there other long-haired, subaru driving, can't go a day without smoking weed, 5'11 150 pound climber fags which is 85% of the college-men population..you'll be good.
    In short: If you want to get laid, don't be a pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    I fucking cleaned up in Bozeman in terms of girls age 20-35 when there, because I took care of myself, crush fucking weights in the gym, and the outdoors. If you don't look like all there other long-haired, subaru driving, can't go a day without smoking weed, 5'11 150 pound climber fags which is 85% of the college-men population..you'll be good.
    In short: If you want to get laid, don't be a pussy.
    To be fair, I had somewhat long hair, drove a lifted suby, blazed often, and stayed reasonably fit. But I would've griped about how the odds were not great at the time. And I met my wife there. Come to think of it, there are several ridge hippy turned skier moms in this neighborhood in park city. I dunno, take care of you and you can probably find a girlfriend.

Even though Plonk is the epitome of nuBozeman, I'm always blown away by the talent in that place.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Where the fuck is NWSKIER with his requisite pic request?
    I can't be everywhere at once.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post

whiteroom, my honest answer to your OP would be that maybe there are better places to look than Bozeman. Having not permanently established myself here, I will be looking for an exit strategy when I'm finished with school. It seems like if you didn't import your money with your girlfriend, and aren't interested in slaving away in the service industry, that opportunity is finite and would take commitment having missed the starting bell. I would prefer to take limited resources to where they are more competitive.
    I suggest taking ghosthop seriously when it comes to girls. The time I met him at AustinFromSA's store ghosthop had a totally smoking chick with him.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

SO WHAT THE FLYING FUCK ARE YOU DOING THERE????

Quit posting this shit, get moving next month, and don't pretend to wait for 3 weeks of vacation this summer to scope places, it'll never happen. SFB is absolutely right.

No more excuses. You need a friend in 'real' life to kick you in your goddamn ass, not give you advice on a carwash.

Or, once again, just post another thread in two months about maybe moving somewhere else, and then never doing it.

Grow balls, head west, ski with maggots, and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    SO WHAT THE FLYING FUCK ARE YOU DOING THERE????

Quit posting this shit, get moving next month, and don't pretend to wait for 3 weeks of vacation this summer to scope places, it'll never happen. SFB is absolutely right.

No more excuses. You need a friend in 'real' life to kick you in your goddamn ass, not give you advice on a carwash.

Or, once again, just post another thread in two months about maybe moving somewhere else, and then never doing it.

Grow balls, head west, ski with maggots, and be happy.
    I have a million excuses. Only a few are valid. Basically, my number one potential investor is my dad. Been busting my balls working for him the last 6 years. Proving myself and I think it is starting to finally pay off. He is coming to Montana with me in 2 weeks to scope places. We will have 5 days to do nothing but drive around and see what's up. Have two places lined up with my broker friend to look at.

If he balks I'm just gonna pull the plug and gracefully make my exit in the spring/summer. I can rent out both sides of my house and actually make close to a grand a month just in rent from that.

I used to just randomly say fuck it and move places with no real plan. Now I'm not a loser anymore and don't want to blindly move without a good plan in place.

I turn 33 soon, so only 2 years left to crush pussy lol. I am in the best shape of my life. I used to be one of those lazy stoner hippies. Now I'm kind of a clean cut, healthy, motivated hippy.

I turn 33 soon, so only 2 years left to crush pussy lol. I am in the best shape of my life. I used to be one of those lazy stoner hippies. Now I'm kind of a clean cut, healthy, motivated hippy.
    This is false. Your head is in the wrong place. I just smashed some babe 22 year old yoga instructor here in Denver yesterday, and I'm around your age. We weren't even drunk. I've got plenty of girls who are friends that are mid-20's dating 35-40 year olds.

I was sort of kidding based on a previous comment. I have gotten more in the last couple years than I did in all of college. And totally sober.

So yeah. My week there last week confirms it. Great skiing, town is fucking booming. Hopefully buying a lot within the next 6 months. There is a market for our business model. Worse case scenario I make a few bucks on a commercial lot if I sell it in 5-10 years.

Buddy who has been there for 13 years and is my realtor: "You have to be really stupid to not be making a bunch of money in this town right now."

^^^ A lot of people said the same thing, 2004-2007 and lost their asses.

True, but the system was doomed to fail at that point.

Honestly, a mini-crash would be great right now to bring prices back down a hair.

Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post
    ^^^ A lot of people said the same thing, 2004-2007 and lost their asses.
    It was pretty fun while it lasted but yeah, pretty spectacular fall. Couldn't get a U-Haul at several points during 2008 and 2009 because everyone was renting them one way out of Bozeman. The only real estate deals being done were foreclosures.

WG, my (totally free) advice would be to keep your reserves pretty healthy because this town will go through another epic crash and it will be painful. The Bozeman OG's tried to tell me that back in 2004 but I thought it would go on forever. Ouch!

sweet blog, Mogadishu
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    It was pretty fun while it lasted but yeah, pretty spectacular fall. Couldn't get a U-Haul at several points during 2008 and 2009 because everyone was renting them one way out of Bozeman. The only real estate deals being done were foreclosures.
    Couldn't give away property on the west side of town behind target, but downtown stayed pretty insulated by comparison. Regarding houses, if you stay between basically 7th and broadway, and Kagy and tamarack (the fairgrounds) there will be a lot less risk. Of course YMMV.

We bought a house a few years ago on the north side, and I can't believe how it's blown up. Considering selling it (we rent it out to pay the mortgage and just rent somewhere cheap), but at this point it hardly seems like there is a realistic re-entry into downtown. Definitely nothing we can afford right now.

Bozeman is nutty. Apart from a few solid markets (medical, construction, electrical/comp engineering) wages are super low and cost of living is really high, yet somehow everyone manages. Really curious as to how this growth would sustain.

I think we are going to see a big drop in housing on the west side once the supply begins to meet demand, but they aren't making any more lots in town. And there isn't anything for sale right now, and if it is, it's totally insane. Best deal I can see downtown on Zillow right now is 600k for a 2300 square foot house. The interior is totally not up to code, and the whole kitchen is from ikea

I definitely have a pretty distorted view coming from yuppie western NJ. You need to make at least 250k per household to come close to keeping up with the Jones and not be living in a "tear down". Real estate is crazy here. The thought of even attempting to start a business here is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post

Bozeman is nutty. Apart from a few solid markets (medical, construction, electrical/comp engineering) wages are super low and cost of living is really high, yet somehow everyone manages. Really curious as to how this growth would sustain.

I think we are going to see a big drop in housing on the west side once the supply begins to meet demand, but they aren't making any more lots in town. And there isn't anything for sale right now, and if it is, it's totally insane. Best deal I can see downtown on Zillow right now is 600k for a 2300 square foot house. The interior is totally not up to code, and the whole kitchen is from ikea
    Sounds a lot like Portland...

I marvel at the growth. My business revolves around construction and I was just at a project NNE of the airport. They are building (Single Family, 6 p/acre) them and selling them lickty split.