Gman is offline Mack Master William Large

Need a new Synthetic Mid-Layer: Strafe Incubator or Patagonia Nano Air Hoody

So I've decided I want to add a non-down mid layer to my gear whoring collection this season. I want something synthetic for those occasional days when I'm working a little harder and I don't have to worry about down getting wet and losing its loft. I've been looking at the Strafe Incubator jacket and the patagonia nano air hoody. I like the fact that both options have a hood for when I'm using the jacket off the slopes. It looks like the Strafe uses • 100g Primaloft® Gold insulation while the Patagonia uses Revolutionary 60-g FullRange™ insulation. This is a noob question so would the Strafe be warmer even if the insulation is different? I'm open to a third alternative but figured this would be a good place to start.

I'd try to find something with Polartec Alpha in it. Or grab the nano air.

Primaloft anything is going be too warm for active use. Its best for static warmth in wet conditions.

Stio Second Light Alpha might be worth looking at and similar to the Nano. They have various sales around this time of year. Black Friday sale it was 30%off.

Patagonia is running an online sale right now FWIW.

I haven't compared the two directly, but I like my nano air a lot. I was skinning in mine last weekend comfortably, but it was also cold (15 F). Somewhat warmer days have been fine in it too; it breathes really well without a hardshell over it, and warms up quite a bit with a hardshell on over the top. So anyway, I can't compare the two directly, but I probably grab the nano more than I grab any other piece of insulation.

Love my nano air. I now just go thin synthetic base-layer (t-shirt or long sleeve) + nanoair + shell whenever I can. Super simple, relatively low loft and comfy. But it has to be a slightly cooler day. Anything much into the 30's and that gets a little warm. I regularly skin in it, but again that's usually pre-dawn when it's a little cooler (by Tahoe standards). It is now my go-to insulation layer now for majority of days.

Realistically, I probably won't be skinning much at all. I had a rab down sweater I was using under a hard shell for resort days but thats getting fixed(hopefully). Looking for something I can throw on under my hard shell for when the temps are in the low teens to single digits. Warmer is better I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Realistically, I probably won't be skinning much at all. I had a rab down sweater I was using under a hard shell for resort days but thats getting fixed(hopefully). Looking for something I can throw on under my hard shell for when the temps are in the low teens to single digits. Warmer is better I'm thinking.
    Than the Nano Air will be money for what you are looking for... I have both the jacket and vest and love both pieces... The jacket breathes, but as stated is really warm so anything in the teens I throw it under my Untracked jacket... 25 and above my Nano Air vest gets the call...

You can also look at the Outdoor Research Uberlayer. I've been using it for your exacct purpose (and around town) and it has been great.

I think both are solid options but I'm a jong when it comes to the differences from a technical standpoint between the two jackets. Is the 100g insulation in the strafe just heavier/thicker than the 60g insulation in the patagonia? I wasn't sure if it was like 600-fill vs 800 fill down. I also know that the amount of down fill affects things as well which I wasn't sure if that was the case here too. I should add that I'm not paying retail for either of these two pieces which is why I focused on them specifically.

Just spent three days skiing in my nano-air air hoodie, and think it is a nearly perfect midlayer. Way better then the nano-puff, and doesn't wetsuit like a downsweater. Don't know about the other brands, but the nano-air technology is solid so anybody doing the same is likely worth it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    I think both are solid options but I'm a jong when it comes to the differences from a technical standpoint between the two jackets. Is the 100g insulation in the strafe just heavier/thicker than the 60g insulation in the patagonia? I wasn't sure if it was like 600-fill vs 800 fill down. I also know that the amount of down fill affects things as well which I wasn't sure if that was the case here too. I should add that I'm not paying retail for either of these two pieces which is why I focused on them specifically.
    100g is pretty heavy for a midlayer IME. Too warm for where I ski most of the time. Prefer 60g.