Page 131 of 184 FirstFirst ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 4591
    Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    I did one run. I thought it would be sneaky good. Instead it was sneaky terrible. KT was 4" on top of death cookies that seemed to be everywhere. Oh, and the flat light just made it more fun.
    I did one run at Mt. Rose this morning, with the same hope and the same outcome. Rose was a mix of breakable crust, ice chunks, icy groomed, and flat light. Left with all ligaments and bones intact.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

I waited til 11. Finally got my pass made one on kt then went and rubbed some wax on. One on Far East then the funitel and Shirley opened. Way way better. It was what you were hoping for. Sneaking a beer in high camp now
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

88 was rough 3.5 hours Sonora to Minden. Wife finally realized that SLT is a bit out of the way going to Mammoth. Ended up at Minden Meat and Deli. Great food wine beer. Glad we figured this place out.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    EVERY highway has been really bad this year.
    I know we've discussed this ad nauseum ... I just feel bad for the folks who actually live in town who have to put up with the megabackups. No easy solutions ... I propose making the entire basin a National Park, use eminent domain to force Squaw/KSL to re-bid their operational contract, charge excessive entry fees on a per-vehicle basis, and give out resident hangtags for lane priority.

That strategy hasn't exactly eliminated the Yosemite megabackups, but at least it raises funds to pay for plowing, parking spots, ski buses that are worth a damn, giant gaping potholes ...
    I think I heard Placer County has a spot opening on the planning commission. I nominate Schralph.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    ^ Sidellis
    Don't expect any food there that cant just be warmed up. Cold Water if you want good food.

Kirkwood was ok, skied bottomless if you were not on a ridge, did 5 laps then did a small tour out at Carson, fun snow out there also, open areas are wind effected but still ski chalky, trees skied better.

alpine was super fun today!
    I guess summit opened just before 3... bummed i had to leave for work

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Well if there's any lesson from this winter is that there's just no tax revenue coming in for this area.
    That's why they're going to levy a tax on tahoe city to pay for road repairs caused by locals driving so hard.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    I did one run. I thought it would be sneaky good. Instead it was sneaky terrible. KT was 4" on top of death cookies that seemed to be everywhere. Oh, and the flat light just made it more fun. I'm taking a grumpy old man nap now. This waste of a morning just motivated me more to go hike up something huge tomorrow down south.
    The other side of the hill was a different story. Just Roundhouse and Sherwood in the AM but a few Deer Camp turns were memorable. Scott rolled at 11:30 and Lakeview shortly after. Summit rolled shortly before 2. While not the "best day of the year", it was awfully good until the sun started cooking things around 3. Far better than I ever expected today...zero lines, including at Treats.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

^^^ We had a pretty awesome day yesterday afternoon.
    Roundhouse went off hold as we rolled up. Only us and maybe 6 other peeps riding lift. Not perfect at all, but good enough that I couldn't stop giggling at end of first run! A rare event.
    Today [well this afternoon] at Sierra was fkna too!
    Dropped in gate 4 up top, and ski'd normal line...but not normal! Usually there is a *choke* of trees & rock drops about halfway down.
    Not today. Slashed it whole way down.
    ♡ Exhilarating ♡
    A stoked Cinders

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

among most bottomless 4" I've skied

pro tip - don't use tacoma parking brake in winter

^^^wind, wet, ice, freeze?

Got back into town had lunch then went for a drive to look for possible lines to ski tomorrow, this zone was looking so buffed out, I figured what the hell I got time, best turns of the day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09740.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	203079

For the guy asking about lower coverage, its still real good

Name:	DSC09742.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	203080

I imagine if one where to do a dawn patrol in the AM before the death star kills it it would be fun over there.

Name:	EB1_crop.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	203081

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I did one run at Mt. Rose this morning, with the same hope and the same outcome. Rose was a mix of breakable crust, ice chunks, icy groomed, and flat light. Left with all ligaments and bones intact.
    Had to work this AM, but I got up there about 1:30 and the Chutes had popped at 1, thought it ski'd very well, a few crusty turns and only slightly variable, but way more consistent & soft goodness.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^wind, wet, ice, freeze?
    Ya frozen stuck this am. Was dragging my right rear passenger tire in 4low and it still wouldn't pop. Hitting brake drum w hammer knocked it loose

Noice Jeff. Was just suggesting there and Jt said you'd just hit it

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

Name:	DSC09742.jpg 
Views:	158 
ID:	203080
    Wow - Awesome Coolie

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    After running a few quick errands this morning, my kid and I got to Rose just before 10:00 a.m. this morning. Couldn't help but notice as we were driving up the Slide side road that at least five cars drove by us heading downhill. Not a good sign. We we were greeted by conditions that EL Chup accurately described in his post. Flat light, snow depth was in that in between stage of 6"-8" deep and where it had been skied you were hitting the ice layer from the spring skiing melt freeze on Sunday. What untracked we did find was wind slabbed and crusty. Wasn't feeling the stoke. Even my kid wasn't into it, and he'll stay out in any conditions. On the bright side, it was dumping hard all morning and continued to add up. Almost bagged it at noon and went home. Glad we stayed, as it was like divine intervention in the afternoon.

Took a long lunch and just as we got back out at 12:45 p.m., patroll at the bottom of Zephyr said, "The chutes are open." Thinking that the farthest East chutes might have been sheltered from the wind, we hauled ass over to the Nightmare gate and dropped in not knowing what to expect. First run down Nightmare was over a foot deep of untracked pow. Thick, but no wind slab. Super fun. My kid was stoked now. On the way back up the chair, the sun came out. Hit up Miller time for two more great runs, then followed the rope line down under the Chuter chair and skied the tree's down towards the Slide road. By now it was starting to get tracked out a bit, so we decided to check out Manzanita bowl. Untouched, 10" deep. It was very tempting to just keep going down the bowl for another 1000ft, but we made the hard left and traversed back into the resort. By 3:00 p.m. the place had emptied out and the wind kicked up out of the West and we skied fun wind blown on the Slide side until 4:00 p.m. Skys had gone totally blue by then. Turned into a great day and we were stoked that we waited it out and didn't bail early.

Nice left overs at Alpine this morning. Thought the sun had had its way with it but nice and soft still... heating up fast though.

I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Random skier dropping the elevator entrance today

Name:	DSC09761_crop.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	280.2 KB 
ID:	203111

h-atlas dropping in

Name:	DSC09771_crop.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	203112

Name:	DSC09786_crop.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	269.9 KB 
ID:	203113

Name:	DSC09866_crop.jpg 
Views:	118 
ID:	203114

I managed some very nice runs in Mott/Killebrew yesterday. Maybe 6-7", but it was dense enough to ski very well unless you were in the wind-scoured parts or the sun-exposed parts that had ice moguls under them. Very much a case of "you had to know exactly where to be."

Looks like we're back into winter from spring this week, lots of rain low/snow high.

spats!

lines were slayed and airs were stomped all over alpine meadows today... tried to post a vid but it just showed up as a buncha embedded text

Spats!
    U eating white bread yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tahoearmada View Post
    lines were slayed and airs were stomped all over alpine meadows today... tried to post a vid but it just showed up as a buncha embedded text
    It was sneaky good today. After crunching on the frozen snow in my driveway in Truckee I actually put narrower skis in my car since I figured everything off piste must have been nuked later in the day yesterday and it was going to suck.

This was around 1pm: https://www.instagram.com/p/BSAPJaoARJz/

Barely anyone there, either, especially on the hikes. Fingers crossed tomorrow delivers in line with the upgraded forecast.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 03-24-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Random skier dropping the elevator entrance today
    Cross is getting more action than its seen in years.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Fingers crossed tomorrow delivers in line with the upgraded forecast.
    You thinking riding on lifts or self-powered?
    Mucho windhold at AM.