Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGroomer View Post
    So once the escalator is in we're good to go?
    When you think about it, escalators at Magic actually make a lot of sense given that when escalators break, they just become stairs. So at least we'd have stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    When you think about it, escalators at Magic actually make a lot of sense given that when escalators break, they just become stairs. So at least we'd have stairs.
    You're right (write). Makes about as much sense as 2 NEW Rangers. They look pretty rad sitting up on the hill with the sign though.

"These machines will be hard at work until the snow flies getting ready for snow."

So like 3 weeks? STOKE!!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I heard from an exceptionally reliable source on Friday that there are investors (yes with an "s") that are willing to give Tom their money to get the place going.
    Investors or donors?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for (but didn't even know you were waiting for!)

my season edit!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Investors or donors?
    Synonyms at Magic...

Quote Originally Posted by RustyGroomer View Post
    You're right (write). Makes about as much sense as 2 NEW Rangers. They look pretty rad sitting up on the hill with the sign though.

"These machines will be hard at work until the snow flies getting ready for snow."

So like 3 weeks? STOKE!!
    This puzzled me as well.

Those who know me know that I’m a huge supporter of Magic, however I don’t stand for bullshit and I want to know why things are the way they are. Yesterday, I posted this comment in response to Magic’s Facebook post that they had gotten two new Polaris Ranger ATVs (at a cost of almost $25K) "Since it appears that Magic has money to spend on ATVs that may only see a few weeks of use before the crew is on snowmobiles full time, can we expect that there is enough money in the budget to fix the lodge up, make snow on several trails prior to opening, and provide a terrain park this season? What else do you guys have up your sleeve?" As of this morning, I’ve been blocked from commenting on their posts and all of my previous comments have been removed.

I’m a firm believer in freedom of speech and freedom of information, and this is far from the worst thing I posted on their wall. I feel that if someone is openly criticizing your business, rather than censoring them and trying to cover it up, a business should meet that opportunity head on by responding with all of the great things that they are planning for the season. Even a bullshit response along the lines of “Don’t fret, we have the funds to take care of everything” would have been better than trying to cover something up. Given everything that has gone on this summer, I believe that more information and more transparency would benefit the ownership. I know that Magic isn’t a big mountain with a social media team, but PLEASE take cues from other, more successful mountains in the area (like Killington).

I was totally willing to give this Shane kid a chance, since he appears to understand how to use a spell checker, but our new “Director of Sales and Marketing” has definitely started out on the wrong foot with me, and I’m not one to easily forgive or forget, and anyone who has been in the lodge knows that I’m not one to be silenced either.

I still believe that Magic has the best skiing in southern Vermont; however I don’t believe that the current management has a clue on how to operate a ski area while keeping the customers best interests and the sustainability of the ski area at heart. I have heard that they’ve hired a new head of Ski School and a new Patrol director which are huge steps forward, and I’m excited to see what that brings us, both as a skier and as the coach of the frequently harassed Freeride Team.

I’m certain that not all of the people who will read this will agree with my statements or my actions; however I felt the need to put this out there.
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    Those who know me know that I’m a huge supporter of Magic, however I don’t stand for bullshit and I want to know why things are the way they are. Yesterday, I posted this comment in response to Magic’s Facebook post that they had gotten two new Polaris Ranger ATVs (at a cost of almost $25K) "Since it appears that Magic has money to spend on ATVs that may only see a few weeks of use before the crew is on snowmobiles full time, can we expect that there is enough money in the budget to fix the lodge up, make snow on several trails prior to opening, and provide a terrain park this season? What else do you guys have up your sleeve?" As of this morning, I’ve been blocked from commenting on their posts and all of my previous comments have been removed.

I’m a firm believer in freedom of speech and freedom of information, and this is far from the worst thing I posted on their wall. I feel that if someone is openly criticizing your business, rather than censoring them and trying to cover it up, a business should meet that opportunity head on by responding with all of the great things that they are planning for the season. Even a bullshit response along the lines of “Don’t fret, we have the funds to take care of everything” would have been better than trying to cover something up. Given everything that has gone on this summer, I believe that more information and more transparency would benefit the ownership. I know that Magic isn’t a big mountain with a social media team, but PLEASE take cues from other, more successful mountains in the area (like Killington).

I was totally willing to give this Shane kid a chance, since he appears to understand how to use a spell checker, but our new “Director of Sales and Marketing” has definitely started out on the wrong foot with me, and I’m not one to easily forgive or forget, and anyone who has been in the lodge knows that I’m not one to be silenced either.

I still believe that Magic has the best skiing in southern Vermont; however I don’t believe that the current management has a clue on how to operate a ski area while keeping the customers best interests and the sustainability of the ski area at heart. I have heard that they’ve hired a new head of Ski School and a new Patrol director which are huge steps forward, and I’m excited to see what that brings us, both as a skier and as the coach of the frequently harassed Freeride Team.

I’m certain that not all of the people who will read this will agree with my statements or my actions; however I felt the need to put this out there.
    I'm not saying they should spend money on ATVs when the floor in the bar is ready to give way, but to be fair to Magic, you've been nothing but antagonistic to basically all parties involved since the deal fell through. Even if Shane (whoever Shane is) knows that despite your interweb bitching, you also provide a IRL benefit to the mountain, I'd say there's a good chance he or others at the helm are tired of every step they make getting blown apart. Maybe, just maybe, they also know that other people know who you are and they're trying to minimize the mutiny-vibe.

Next time, make sure you preface your comments with "I don't mean no disrespect, but..." No one who has ever uttered that phrase has ever said anything bad afterwards, so they'll probably just let your post stay up.

The above may be true to an extent, but it is also worth remembering that Magic dug this hole and Jake is just responding. I think it's on them to prove that things are under control (if they are, which I am not willing to accept on faith at this point).
    [quote][//quote]

Are you guys sure the new Rangers can't be used in the wintertime too?
    What about implementing a new equipment concierge service from the parking lot for, say, $5 day?

Yesterday at 11:12am

Yesterday our 2 new Polaris Rangers arrived on the mountain to help our Operations Crew get around. These machines will be hard at work until the snow flies getting ready for snow.

53 minutes ago

Yesterday our 2 new Polaris Rangers arrived on the mountain to help our Operations Crew get around. These machines will be hard at work until the snow flies and then we'll put tracks on them to help get our snow guns up the mountain.

They altered their post to include tracks to the rangers for winter use.
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

B/c w/o those things snow guns would be stranded at the base.
    [quote][//quote]

They're pretty useful with tracks on them. Tracks aren't cheap at about $9K a set (cost almost as much as a whole Ranger) but they'll let you roll thru snow less than a foot deep.

What about a rolling refreshment station like the cart girls on the golf course? Heady Topper for the adults and hot chocolate for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    The above may be true to an extent, but it is also worth remembering that Magic dug this hole and Jake is just responding. I think it's on them to prove that things are under control (if they are, which I am not willing to accept on faith at this point).
    I'm not accepting anything on faith either, but I also think it's worth remembering that the mountain is not exactly awash in resources and if you (the collective you, not you in particular) expect them to spend a lot of time putting out these fires, I think that is just a different leap of faith. I think we're basically all pining for a Bluebird-era Magic, with Killington-esque (or hell, Bromley-esque) budget. But that ship has sailed.

I very badly want Magic to succeed and I have lot of trepidations about it's future... but what the fuck else is there? Gore has no vibe, Bromley doesn't have the terrain, Stratton and Killington are too crowded for my taste and everywhere else is too far or difficult to get to on a regular basis. So honestly.. I'm just hoping for the best. I'm going to coach some kids because seeing them have fun makes me happy and I'm going to try to keep talking up the mountain as best as I can. Convince a few friends to make it their home and bring in another couple hundred bucks to keep things running as long as possible. And then, when the snow flies, I'll ski some powder and have fun.

"We have some big announcements in the next couple weeks so stay tuned."

Boom

How about painting them to look like a magic bus? They look so blah. And they'd be easy to see if you want an on-hill refreshment.

I'm not saying they should spend money on ATVs when the floor in the bar is ready to give way, but to be fair to Magic, you've been nothing but antagonistic to basically all parties involved since the deal fell through. Even if Shane (whoever Shane is) knows that despite your interweb bitching, you also provide a IRL benefit to the mountain, I'd say there's a good chance he or others at the helm are tired of every step they make getting blown apart. Maybe, just maybe, they also know that other people know who you are and they're trying to minimize the mutiny-vibe.

Next time, make sure you preface your comments with "I don't mean no disrespect, but..." No one who has ever uttered that phrase has ever said anything bad afterwards, so they'll probably just let your post stay up.

Thank fuck I'm not the only person who isn't taking crazy pills. Spot on!!!

I've officially given my last fuck about how anybody feels about anything Magic does. It will never be good enough, fast enough or the right move and there will always be someone pissed that the idea wasn't run by them first- truly internetfluenza at it's finest.

See you fuckers on the hill and FYI nobody has to tell you a damn thing- but furthermore any of you could pick up the fucking phone and simply ask Tom if you truly wanted to know something. ESPECIALLY YOU PJ because you've worked there for literally years. You haven't done that because you don't want to know- you just want to fucking publicly complain and feel that rush you get from being outraged over minutia and assumptions. Congrats, you're now assimilating an internet cliche. Please stop.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Here's a positive to lighten the mood. Thank you Tom W. via FB.

"Ski Lift Unlimited from Nederland CO is performing what, I think, is annual maintenance on the Red Chair."

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for (but didn't even know you were waiting for!)

my season edit!

QFE

This edit is killer!!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

15/16 MAGIC MYSTERY TOUR

This is gonna be a shitshow!
    Y'all realize it's not going to snow this season, right? Last time we the Nino like this, it pissed freezing rain all year. We had two really good ones, but it's fat bikes this winter.
    Hope the snowmaking budget is large
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Thank fuck I'm not the only person who isn't taking crazy pills. Spot on!!!

I've officially given my last fuck about how anybody feels about anything Magic does. It will never be good enough, fast enough or the right move and there will always be someone pissed that the idea wasn't run by them first- truly internetfluenza at it's finest.

See you fuckers on the hill and FYI nobody has to tell you a damn thing- but furthermore any of you could pick up the fucking phone and simply ask Tom if you truly wanted to know something. ESPECIALLY YOU PJ because you've worked there for literally years. You haven't done that because you don't want to know- you just want to fucking publicly complain and feel that rush you get from being outraged over minutia and assumptions. Congrats, you're now assimilating an internet cliche. Please stop.
    Have you EVER had someone answer the phone at Magic when you call there? I've worked there for 5 years and I never have. Ever. I actually have to drive over to the hill on weekends to find people to talk to them. I'm not the only one who has experienced this....

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    Have you EVER had someone answer the phone at Magic when you call there? I've worked there for 5 years and I never have. Ever. I actually have to drive over to the hill on weekends to find people to talk to them. I'm not the only one who has experienced this....

Yeah, actually. I talked to Tom yesterday. I like to stay current

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    This is gonna be a shitshow!
    Y'all realize it's not going to snow this season, right? Last time we the Nino like this, it pissed freezing rain all year. We had two really good ones, but it's fat bikes this winter.
    Hope the snowmaking budget is large
    This is what I am thinking. I hope I am wrong...

Unfortunately talking to Tom is meaningless as the guy's communication skills are on par with a low-function autism spectrum person.
    [quote][//quote]

Those Rangers may or may not be all that effective....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxasjuBaik8

There are other videos showing them doing just fine with one gun on wheels on a work road, but going up showoff with some guns on the back is going to be difficult and dangerous if I had to guess. I don't work ops and have minimal exposure to these things (though they are fun to drive) so can't speak to all their strengths and weaknesses.