Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    You sure they're the new ones? Where'd you get them? Sure they're not one of the first gens that a retailer had laying around?
    Looks like the old ones from Mr Radgnar. Doesn't have the protruding pins. Made me all paranoid and inspected the Kingpins again

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    yeah, a tech binding is just the thing for you.
    fucking genius.

and you are surprised???

what did their support guy say wen you told him of your love for road gaps and 50 ft hardpack fuckups?

I think there is a type of binding made just for you. Can't quite remember the name, but I think you can find a shit ton of them at ski resorts. everywhere you look, actually.
    Haha TG, ya, I hear you this is not really the place for pins. Just thought I would update everyone on how they are making out on the hill. The bindings are perfectly fine, and even the over-extended pins didn't bend. They are just backing out. Nothing has bent. 50 feet isn't exactly a movie-style gap if you actually measure, it's just playing around at the hill. If the pins stay put (which they should no matter what the conditions unless they bend) I think this binding deals with basic ski-hill forces just fine. It's a killer binding with a small problem.

I need a tech binding. Even at the hill my skins are on and off all day. I prefer the heel piece of the Kingpin over the Beast, and I think once the backing-out issue is solved they will be an awesome binding for the hill. The Kingpin is supposed to be the future, I'm letting you guys know that it is, just watch the pins! I rode them about halfway out for 3 days of very hard landings and they still didn't bend. The binding is super solid.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Looks like the old ones from Mr Radgnar. Doesn't have the protruding pins. Made me all paranoid and inspected the Kingpins again
    Sorry LeeLau and Wasatch, I have first-hand knowledge they are fresh from this years batch, definitely not held back from the recall! The new ones don't have protruding pins or star-knurls, that was a late fix from 2015 when they were scrambling.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

With respect to DMM, I would have thought they would have had "pinning" technology down pat - even in the first year, given so many years of manufacturing carabiners. What baffles me about the original problem is the direction of the displacement. One would expect all of the forces to be outward and the pins to "dig into" the wings.
    Hey Thom, this baffles me too! How are they getting this wrong? Even in the first year. I guess I will stick to Petzl Carabiners! One thing I have learned is that these toe pieces are incredibly strong, I skied them very hard for several days with the pins halfway out, and they still didn't dig into the wings, in fact they were perfectly straight! (Before I discovered the back-out issue I thought I had icing under the binding so I was sneaking my boots into them one side at a time.) The pin movement does not seem to be related to vertical or lateral forces, they seem to be rotating and then "squeezing out." I really don't understand their *motivation* to move towards the toe. Nothing in the skiing/touring forces I am aware of would cause this. I am also not sure this is a six sigma issue, as I would expect to see that in bending or breakage at the wings or pins. Actually, after all this my confidence in their strength is very high given the forces they were subject to had to at least double while the pins were unseated.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Why are the penis backing out?

Quote Originally Posted by corex radnar View Post
    ... Actually, after all this my confidence in their strength is very high given the forces they were subject to had to at least double while the pins were unseated.
    Thanks corex radnar! That (along with comments like LeeLau's) are very helpful. I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on a pair. I'm slightly waffling on Vipec Blacks, but getting the Kingpins makes more sense on a pair of skis that's likely to see a lot of inbounds action (soft snow).

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Indeed (old ones for Mr. Radgnar).

The bottom half of the first photo on Lou's post confused the issue (https://www.wildsnow.com/15495/marke...ssibly-loosen/).

The remaining photos point toward the revised pins having a knurled star pattern which is missing from Radgnar's.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Indeed (old ones for Mr. Radgnar).

The bottom half of the first photo on Lou's post confused the issue (https://www.wildsnow.com/15495/marke...ssibly-loosen/).

The remaining photos point toward the revised pins having a knurled star pattern which is missing from Radgnar's.
    Nah, radnar is correct. The newest Kingpins don't have the star-knurled pins. The definitive way to identify new ones is that they protrude 1mm on the outside instead of sitting flush, which can't be seen on his photo above. Photo below is from Earn Your Turns' write-up.

Last edited by LC; 12-29-2015 at 04:36 AM.

^^^ thanks for posting that pic it makes me feel so secure

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Nah, radnar is correct. The newest Kingpins don't have the star-knurled pins. The definitive way to identify new ones is that they protrude 1mm on the outside instead of sitting flush, which can't be seen on his photo above. Photo below is from Earn Your Turns' write-up.
    Thanks Lorne! Dotsie's writeup is much more clear.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

I've added a 3mm shim below the KP heel, to make the ramp angle more similar to my salomon alpine bindings, feels much better now.

And before anyone rants about destroying the flat walking angle, for me the KP is a lighter on hill binding, and NOT long walking binding, I have that already.

Anyone mount them with Quiver killers?

what screws are you using?

Skied my KPs fhor the first time today for a few shakedown runs. Overall they felt solid and I loved how light the ski felt.

I do have a question for some folks with more time on them. The adjustable boot stops don't to seem to move much if at all. Is there anything I'm missing with that? Seems simple enough, just screw in/out and use the supplied card to check for appropriate distance. But they don't really move when I try to adjust them. Should I give them a little tap after screwing them out and then screw them back in to the right distanc? Looks like maybe 1-1.5 mm is the recommended distance from the front of the boot lug.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    Skied my KPs fhor the first time today for a few shakedown runs. Overall they felt solid and I loved how light the ski felt.

I do have a question for some folks with more time on them. The adjustable boot stops don't to seem to move much if at all. Is there anything I'm missing with that? Seems simple enough, just screw in/out and use the supplied card to check for appropriate distance. But they don't really move when I try to adjust them. Should I give them a little tap after screwing them out and then screw them back in to the right distanc? Looks like maybe 1-1.5 mm is the recommended distance from the front of the boot lug.
    A flat head screwdriver with a light twist will reset them after the screw is backed out a bit. Not sure they are that useful though.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post

I would like to know this as well. Does anyone have any ETA on when these screws will be made available?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...81#post4547781

For those mounting Kingpins with QK/BF inserts the screw spec is as follows:

Toes: 8no. 12mm csk flat heads (with heads reduced to 8mm dia to sit properly in the countersink)
    Lever & rear heel: 6no. 8mm csk flat heads
    Front heel: 4no. 18mm csk flat heads

Note that the two 8mm'er's at the rear of the heel need to have very low profile heads to sit underneath the sliding ski/walk mechanism. There is no problem with the no.2 pozi heads I supply & that we use in the UK/Yurp but a no.3 pozi headed screw will probably be too tall.

Unfortunately with the Kingpin, like the rest of the Jester/Griffon/Lord/Squire family, you'll have the unwind the heel off the track to get at the insert screws to remove the bindings whereas the mounting screws on the Beast 16/14 & Rad 2's remain accessible (when correctly mounted).

I'm looking for a set of crampons for the KP, anyone know what is compatible and least expensive ones?

Quote Originally Posted by boboxx View Post
    I'm looking for a set of crampons for the KP, anyone know what is compatible and least expensive ones?
    I might be an idiot but don't think you are going to get any crampons to work even remotely close to as well as the Marker specific ones that actually attach to the binding properly.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorymaz View Post
    I might be an idiot but don't think you are going to get any crampons to work even remotely close to as well as the Marker specific ones that actually attach to the binding properly.
    Dynafit crampons fit into the toepiece fine. It's interference with the ski/walk lever that you need to look out for.

Mine are mounted for about 310mm and they just fit - the edge of the crampon comes down on the pointed plastic parts of the ski/walk lever housing where the plastic is 1-2mm thick. I doubt I'll ever take my Kingpin setup out on a day that might require crampons but if I do I won't worry about it. On a larger mount than ~310mm you're fine. On a smaller mount than ~310mm you're going to need to file the crampon edge so that it clears the lever housing.

Mounting my new ZeroG 108's and Kingpin 13s w/ the BindingFreedom inserts tomorrow as long as everything arrives.... Ordered all of the screws with the inserts from www.bindingfreedom.com - they're the M5 screws they are stocking until the Posi versions arrive later this yr. They can grind the heads down too for correct fit http://www.bindingfreedom.com/marker...dynafit-beast/

AND AGAIN! Pins are coming out, about 10 days of skiing. Sorry to be there bearer of bad news guys. Once agin, the pins are not bent, just backing out towards the boot. This binding is not ready for aggressive skiing, back to a frame I guess, sure was nice while it lasted!

Core...this was a replacement toe from your previous pin problem?

AND AGAIN! Pins are coming out, about 10 days of skiing. Sorry to be there bearer of bad news guys. Once agin, the pins are not bent, just backing out towards the boot. This binding is not ready for aggressive skiing, back to a frame I guess, sure was nice while it lasted!
    Get you a Beast 16.

You had this happen before? Warranty this pair? What is your weight, and are you beating the piss out of these? I'd consider trading my Beast 16s for your kingpin 13s if they're warrantied.

So Flacid...

Quote Originally Posted by muchocacao View Post
    Salomon mtn lab also works
    I have the Kingpins with the Mtn Labs and the heel is rounding and there are indents on the back of the heel cup from the binding. The heel is prominent enough to work, but i'm not sure the plastic is firm enough to handle the force. I have the forward pressure set correctly and still the rounding is occurring. I am considering using the Kingpin heel adapter that is meant for the TLTs to stop the wear. I am 6'4 and 200lbs, but I can't imagine that Salomon would under design something...

Is anyone else having this issue.
    I like huge dumps.