why do 29er tires suck so much?

are there 29er any tires out there that i won't destroy on the 2nd ride? must be able to run tubeless

i really like the minion dhf for 26.
    Live To Ski!

You're right they all suck, sell the bike to some plastic surgeon who hasn't learned about 650B yet.

Might help if you say what you are destroying, and how.

ignitor exo put a dime sized hole through the tread. cst ouster tore 1 sidewall and put a hole through a tread. geax saquaro tore a sidewall. ardent exo put a hole through a tread. schwalbe ralph and schalbe rob exploded sidewalls.

all from riding fast through pretty moderate rocks in central co. never heard any rim hit, either.
    Live To Ski!

i'm running maxxis ardent up front with a crossmark on the rear. both are 29x2.25 and tubeless. no issues.

I sell a shit-ton of Specialized tires and have no warranty or returns so far. I am running the same 2.3 tubeless ground controls on my bike since last season, and they were pre-production prototypes.

Try renegades.

Specialized is coming out with a Butcher 29er at some point... should be a good one.

ardent EXO front on my paradox - no issues. I've had some similar issues to yourself with rear tires in the wasatch and CO front range, all with a variety of similar injuries to mostly the sidewalls, and am currently running a old WTB stout tubelsss. Tires i've killed have been mostly XCish though, since so much of the market is still bent that way. The stout has been indestructible thus far, but rolls like shit.
    Last edited by good4nothing; 08-18-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Sit back and smile proudly. Bask in your awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Sit back and smile proudly. Bask in your awesomeness.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

I've been riding Specialized Purgatories since march, only one flat right when I went tubeless. They've stood up to being bashed around in Moab, the Monarch Crest and in Summit County. I'm not exactly gentle to my equipment. Both rims have some good dings.

Schwalbes are made of paper mache. Great tires, but not the most durable (as evidenced by your sidewall shredding).
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

*3 for Specialized offerings. Ground control rear and Purgatory front has been great in the Northwest. Run the Butcher on the front of the 26" bike. The 29" version should be the bees knees.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    *3 for Specialized offerings. Ground control rear and Purgatory front has been great in the Northwest. Run the Butcher on the front of the 26" bike. The 29" version should be the bees knees.
    WTB bronson, Conti Mountain kKng Protection, panaracer Rampage.

Try those they are not DH burly but should be plenty durable for most people

I've been on the 29er Schwalbe Hans Dampf's w/ the snakeskin all summer, no problems. They ain't cheap, but I found a solid deal on them by searching the web. I ride in NJ where it's rocky as shit too and no issues yet. They also set up tubeless really easily.
    northern lights and southern comfort...

x2 on the WTB Bronson or conti's

Whatever you do end up on, you may want to try just a touch more pressure. Sounds like you aren't fully bottoming on the rim, but the tire is in a constant state of squish so the sidewalls are always sticking out and more vulnerable. Just a thought, but something weird is happening cuz you are destroying tires that I've seen hold up really well under punishing riders.

As suspected, the thread is a chance for AfroMullet to windmill his wang at the urine trough.

Good boy. Jesus gave you a wiener. Twirl it for everyone to show you've hit puberty.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    As suspected, the thread is a chance for AfroMullet to windmill his wang at the urine trough.

Good boy. Jesus gave you a wiener. Twirl it for everyone to show you've hit puberty.
    ^^go back to your hole.

thanks for the recommendations, think i'll try some specialized purgatory tires.
    Live To Ski!

Some people have knack for ripping sidewalls. I've watched a co-worker go through 3 on one ride. He also tends to ride with a heavy hand and spends a lot of time seated. I tend to float a bit more. To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroMullet View Post
    ^^go back to your hole.
    why don't you go have a poseur party with rontele? two fatboys who can't ride worth a fuck, blaming their equipment.

most people with an IQ above 40 would realize that blowing holes in 5 tires would be a technique issue.

but never mind. image is king at Maggotland anyway. be sure to post photos of your "upgrades" and then show us the Strava results from your new setup's successes... or failures... as the case may be.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    why don't you go have a poseur party with rontele? two fatboys who can't ride worth a fuck, blaming their equipment.

most people with an IQ above 40 would realize that blowing holes in 5 tires would be a technique issue.

but never mind. image is king at Maggotland anyway. be sure to post photos of your "upgrades" and then show us the Strava results from your new setup's successes... or failures... as the case may be.
    Jesus, I missed you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Any GEAX in a TNT version will cure your problem. A tad heavier but bomber and you can make up for the weight by running tubeless. Would always take those over any Schwalbe or Conti.