Page 576 of 821 FirstFirst ... 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 ... LastLast
Results 14,376 to 14,400 of 20518
    So I'm headed to Cham for the week, arriving mid-day on Monday 3/2 and it looks like I timed it just about right... hoping you guys can school me on what to do.

I'll be skiing alone and am more than willing to hire a guide or join a guided group if that's the best use of my limited time. I'm a fairly strong skier and have some limited backcountry experience - I am bringing BC gear but won't be going off-piste on my own.

Oh, and my pregnant wife is along on the trip (Cham for me, Paris for her) and is happy to chill in town for a couple of days but I doubt I'll get away with skiing 6 in a row, so I'm really looking to make the most of a few days. I bought the unlimited pass, so I'd ideally like to get up there Monday afternoon and hit a few on-piste runs if possible - after that my schedule is wide open.

Thoughts?

If you've got the cash, get a guide. Best investment I've ever made. Go to the Compagnie des Guides and ask for Jérôme Para.

I agree Jerome is great will make you trip

great day today with geo039 and teleal...

Quote Originally Posted by Metric22 View Post
    So I'm headed to Cham for the week, arriving mid-day on Monday 3/2 and it looks like I timed it just about right... hoping you guys can school me on what to do.

I'll be skiing alone and am more than willing to hire a guide or join a guided group if that's the best use of my limited time. I'm a fairly strong skier and have some limited backcountry experience - I am bringing BC gear but won't be going off-piste on my own.

Oh, and my pregnant wife is along on the trip (Cham for me, Paris for her) and is happy to chill in town for a couple of days but I doubt I'll get away with skiing 6 in a row, so I'm really looking to make the most of a few days. I bought the unlimited pass, so I'd ideally like to get up there Monday afternoon and hit a few on-piste runs if possible - after that my schedule is wide open.

Thoughts?
    Hey metric
    Im in town in a very similar situation.
    Check ya PMs in a bit

I would suggest not buying a unlimited pass this week if you havent already. We are in the middle of a huge storm cycle and going to the top of the midi or grand montets is not possible as the french love to say. Also in all likelyhood the valley will be on lockdown on monday/tuesday if we actually get this meter of windslab they are forcasting so day tickets bought at whichever area your skiing at are actually the better value. A Guide might be a good idea but I would wait until there is a visibility window to hire one if you want to get the value your paying for. Until the sun comes out i would suggest the trees on the vallorcine side of Le Tour for the best shot at visibility and safe terrain

^ Looks pretty interesting this week, and almost exactly the same story for all of the usual suspects up to an hour's drive away... the next few days might be a good time to catch up on tax returns, tidying the shed, etc.

It's hopping between snow, sleet and rain down in town at the moment, the cut-off point is around 1400m I think... Le Tour is definitely going to be busier than usual this week!
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Snow for the Euros.

I think I managed to open my schedule for this week, hoping to fly solo over from Dublin to the Alps Monday or Tuesday. I lurk this place hard but for some reason rugby and rain in Ireland don't seem to fit.

After seeing the Mont Blanc massif and W Swiss, thinking that sampling Austrian trees and beer this go around (the land of pasta and coffee hopefully towards the end of March with my better half). Anybody about?

Had a great time a couple winters ago with 2 rounds of pow with Orash111 in Cham and Verbier and met Jumpturn briefly on the Midi as well.

And just like I posted 2 years ago, guess which set of tracks are mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1425213420.051761.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	557.2 KB 
ID:	164654

Cheers mags!
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

To update on my post from earlier: it was raining to about 1600m on the way up in the train, and the snow above that was incredibly wet and heavy. Great work out, not so great skiing. Getting colder later, things'll pick up!

Got it - thanks to all for the heads up. Unfortunately I already bought the pass but I'm in no rush to get into sketchy conditions. I'll check out the trees and hang out in town with the wife until it looks like there's some visibility, and see if I can hire Jerome for a late week day. Stoked to be there regardless.

perfect picture.

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    I've been working on using photoshop to tweak things just right and really transport the feel of a run.

Snow was pretty good the last couple of days, now warm, wet and windy in AT.

Name:	IMG_7286bea.jpg 
Views:	617 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	164699
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Rain rain go away!

Brosia and I are out skiing for 2 weeks. Currently in Cham valley
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    I've been working on using photoshop to tweak things just right and really transport the feel of a run.

Needs a levitating dog somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Needs a levitating dog somewhere
    Perhaps peds can supply the levitating dog and one or two racing chickens and we can make a joint season edit.

perfect picture.Click image for larger version. 

Looks like the Sweetgrass at night vid.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

hmm maybe it's just me, but I didn't see all thephotoshop stuff, or is the dog shopped in?. My Laptop screen is crap though and I tend to shop my pictures a lot as well because i suck as a photographer. nevertheless, some squid would enhance every picture.....
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

The acid has kicked in early tonight...
    And klar, as soon as I am there or you are here and all the animals are in position, we'll have the makings for the best season edit of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    hmm maybe it's just me, but I didn't see all thephotoshop stuff, or is the dog shopped in?
    My dog gets shopped into nothing, he does all his own stunts!

(about 4 days ago touring by Loriaz chalets, Vallorcine)

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Rain rain go away!

Brosia and I are out skiing for 2 weeks. Currently in Cham valley
    It is horrifically damp down here. I just toured up to about 1650m and the rain was trying so, so hard to be snow from about 1400m, so all is not lost just yet. It's getting colder over the next few days, we thinks!

Hey folks,
    Can someone point me in the direction of a shop with a decent selection of piste/SL skis in Chamonix? The FiL is looking for a new pair and a look around found very little...
    Ta

^ Having never gone looking for them myself, I'd say Sanglard on the roundabout by Place Mont Blanc is your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    It is horrifically damp down here. I just toured up to about 1650m and the rain was trying so, so hard to be snow from about 1400m, so all is not lost just yet. It's getting colder over the next few days, we thinks!
    It graupeled a bit now is snowing in arg. Now if the wind and viz will cooperate tomorrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Hey folks,
    Can someone point me in the direction of a shop with a decent selection of piste/SL skis in Chamonix? The FiL is looking for a new pair and a look around found very little...
    Ta
    Snell will have a few as well.

Pretty good in the AM today! It was some primo snow. Turned to concrete by 11:30. It still skied nice but if you got turned around, I atleast had a hard time thinking upright again. Hopefully the trend will continue this week.

Heading to Cham tomorrow night, staying about a week. Riding solo Thursday and Friday if anyone wants to meet up or show me around? Have avalanche gear and skins, hoping to use it if the conditions work for it.

yup, pretty fun in the morning. Marius:

IMG_7314 by klar01, on Flickr

and some jumping into other people's bombholes.