Thread: Advice Needed

Advice Needed

Soo, I've been wanting a (digital) camera for quite some time so that I can actually document the cool shit I get to see and do all year and am finally able to purchase one. I know pretty much nothing about photography or cameras, but have the intentions of learning more about photography and pursuing it as a hobby. I want to be able to take high quality (although probably not well-taken in the beginning) pictures of all the things I do throughout the year (skiing, equestrian, wildlife pics, etc.), and have a camera that won't take me forever to figure out how to work when I first get started. But also, I want something that I will be happy with while I'm learning more about photography and progressing. As you may have guessed, I have absolutely no idea what cameras to look into and was wondering if anyone that is more in the know has any suggestions? Oh, this might be helpful, the upper limit of my price range is around $400.

Sounds like a Canon G7/G9 or Panasonic LX2. They are relatively small point and shoot cameras, but have lots of manual control options that allow you to learn photography.

Your other option would be a used DSLR like a Canon Rebel XT (300D) with a standard zoom lens. This option would allow you take your new hobby further, but is only worth doing if you don't mind lugging around a DSLR. Much better for taking action shots, but can't fit in your jacket pocket. You can add lenses as you progress, but can also end up becoming an expensive hobby this route. "Good" zoom lenses (large aperature for action shots) typically go for $500 minimum to well over $1,000 per lens. Then there is the photo editing software, and good computer to run it, storage, printers....

I would go for the good point and shoot option and learn the general basics of photography. If you end up constantly wishing for a better option, then you can jump onto the DSLR slippery and expensive slope later. Plus even if you do want the DSLR down the road you will always find a use for a decent compact camera.