Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

MOUNTED!! Pics on 3. SKIED!!! Review on 5. PICTURES!!! Pics on 6.

Ok, so I was wandering through savers today, checking out costume ideas for halloween... and I came across these waterskis for 9.99... I picked 'em up, because I remembered how McConkey slarved that line on those old Goode waterskis... I AM mounting them up, I don't really care if they only see one day on snow before I rip out the bindings if it was such a horrible idea... Hopefully, though, they'll do well... Rocker in the tip, reverse sidecut, narrow tail... fat... Makes sense.

Does anyone know about how Shane prepared those, or where would be a good mounting position? I'm thinking I may buy some edges from tognar and try to screw those in underfoot to give a little more security... Chord center, back, forward? Not really sure where to mount 'em.

I know some people have thought of this... Let's hear your ideas.

Profile...

Rocker...

Channel...
    Last edited by GapersGoHome; 01-09-2008 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.
    Poetry, on motion.

What are the dims on those? Not too much reverse camber though (at least from the pics).
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Dims are something like 155-ish/172/120-ish.

edit: No more reverse camber than a spat would have, which makes me think that they might just work.
    Last edited by GapersGoHome; 10-26-2007 at 03:35 PM.
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.
    Poetry, on motion.

Will the bases hold wax?

Jesus, 172! Those skis will sure make for an interesting ride.

DO IT and post pics.

If the bases don't hold wax, maybe you can use some Zardoz or something.

Edit: how long?
    Last edited by Below Zero; 10-26-2007 at 03:43 PM.

Well, they're wood skis, so I was thinking of stripping off the bottom layer of clearcoat and paint (horrible idea?) and letting the wax soak into the wood? I'm just talking from my ass here, but weren't old skis just wood bases?
    Poetry, on motion.

they look sweet, that's for sure.

i would buy a pair of alpine skis that looked like that...nice, simple, classic.

what's the overall running length?

i think a good place to start would be to compare the mounting points on Praxis, Toon, Spats, ARG, DP, Goode, and other similar RC skis of comparible length. then go from there.

Tip to tail: 174

Effective edge length: 100-ish
    Poetry, on motion.

this could be cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Just spray on some of that shit that Clark Griswold used on the saucer in Christmas Vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    Just spray on some of that shit that Clark Griswold used on the saucer in Christmas Vacation.
    All hail cereal varnish!
    Poetry, on motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    If the bases don't hold wax, maybe you can use some Zardoz or something.

Edit: how long?
    How is this guy going to help!?

Great. Now this thread is NSFW... All that hair would definitely create some drag. <puke>
    Poetry, on motion.

Quote Originally Posted by GapersGoHome View Post
    Great. Now this thread is NSFW... All that hair would definitely create some drag. <puke>
    How can you call Sean Connery from year 2293 NSFW!? Oh, and FWIW, that's Zed from the movie Zardoz.

What's that black crap that's on the bottom of my grandparents' wooden skis? Whatever they used to use would probably work to keep them from sticking.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    What's that black crap that's on the bottom of my grandparents' wooden skis? Whatever they used to use would probably work to keep them from sticking.

Is that pine tar? Should I try that?
    Poetry, on motion.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZach View Post
    How can you call Sean Connery from year 2293 NSFW!? Oh, and FWIW, that's Zed from the movie Zardoz.
    Dude, remove the pic. you know what I mean.

Yep, sinecure: pine tar. Old, old, old school. Thanks for jogging my memory.

http://www.woodenskis.com/wood_waxing.htm

would this work? seems like a lot of work, but it would probably be pretty durable, right?

edit: Should I prepare the center channel like that, too, or just leave it varnished?
    Last edited by GapersGoHome; 10-26-2007 at 04:43 PM.
    Poetry, on motion.

any ideas on mounting position, tech junkies?
    Poetry, on motion.

Center mount. For stomping it switch.

as far as mounting goes, if they were set up as double skis, just try to mount them so that your ski boot fits right in where the waterski binding used to be. If they were set up as singles, split it between the front and rear binding marks.
    Go Sharks.

Double skis... this makes sense... I guess I could always move 'em back if needed...
    Poetry, on motion.

Go

Personally, I would do something about that channel..... Also, can they hold wax? If not, how slick is the bottom? I suppose it's a good thing these don't have much rocker, or you wouldn't really be having much fun on 172's.
    ________
    ufc
    Last edited by flyby; 01-26-2011 at 02:58 AM.

So the general opinion is that I should go for it?

Mount: Compare to praxis, spats, 'toons, and original waterski mount. Somewhere in there.
    Bases: Trial run with notwax, or the like... then, if they rock - old school pine tar, wax over.

Should I plane off any material? They're pretty damn stiff... I'm thinking if, after the initial trial, they feel too heavy and stiff, I could always take material off.

Could these be the poor man's spats?
    Poetry, on motion.