Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice on new board, boots, and bindings

I'm looking to buy a new setup. I had a board years ago in my teens and sold it and didn't know crap about boards then and now, just length, I did like my bindings(ride rx or lx), can't remember.

I'm 6'2", 185lbs, size 12 shoe. I would say my riding is all mountain, a bit of everything. What size board should I look at, and what companies are good?

Since I had those Ride bindings I checked out their site and used the board finder and came up with a couple boards, and set ups, Ride recommended the Decade 162w, 165w, and their Yukon board in longer lengths. The bindings and boots recommended were the RX and Haze boot. Would these be good choices? Although I had a board years ago I would consider myself a beginner. Any help would be awesome

get skis, lift knuckles off ground.

next question

Quote Originally Posted by CoAlpha View Post
    get skis, lift knuckles off ground.

next question
    That was so helpful

For bindings try the Burton Cartels they are nice and light and easilly adjust for bigger fit. The last years models can be found online for pretty cheap.

For a board go with something wide and slightly stiffer because of your size.

For boots get the ones that fit the best.

Salomon makes the best boots. Period.

For bindings, the Burton Cartels are nice..I prefer the Burton P1 over them. Salomon makes some good bindings too. Ride makes solid bindings, but they aren't as comfortable.

For boards I would stay away from Ride. They don't make a great board anymore. I would look into 3 companies 1.Prior 2.Neversummer 3.Arbor. All three companies will get you a damn solid board that you will be very happy with. I would look at low 160 size range...Alot of the length will depend on what you are riding. I am the same weight as you, and ride a 169, but I also hit 50 degree slopes and ride at very high speeds, and do lots of powder...for a beginner i would go smaller, but don't go any smaller than a 160.
    "JONG!!!!!" is the sound a lift tower makes when a gaper runs into it.
    -Observed at Brighton, UT

Days on snow 2007/2008 season
    Backcountry: 11
    Lift served: 11

For boards, no question: www.donek.com

Quote Originally Posted by shmoesmith View Post

For bindings, the Burton Cartels are nice..I prefer the Burton P1 over them. Salomon makes some good bindings too. Ride makes solid bindings, but they aren't as comfortable.

For boards I would stay away from Ride. They don't make a great board anymore. I would look into 3 companies 1.Prior 2.Neversummer 3.Arbor. All three companies will get you a damn solid board that you will be very happy with. I would look at low 160 size range...Alot of the length will depend on what you are riding. I am the same weight as you, and ride a 169, but I also hit 50 degree slopes and ride at very high speeds, and do lots of powder...for a beginner i would go smaller, but don't go any smaller than a 160.
    This man speaks the truth on all counts. Although Im not a huge fan of Burton binding build quality, when theyre not broken theyre a pretty good product in terms of performance.
    Live Free or Die

Thanks guys/girls, it was nice to wake up and see all the great responses What do you think of Lib tech boards? I saw they have a couple wide boards focused on freestyle, and they have some weird magnet thing?

no, no magnets. magnatraction. google that word.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    no, no magnets. magnatraction. google that word.

My mistake, I just checked out the tech section on their site and it shows the boards with 7 bumps placed on the inside edge. Looks crazy, but it seems like riders really like it.

1.Prior 2.Neversummer 3.Arbor. All three companies will get you a damn solid board that you will be very happy with. .
    just guessing that you won't need to spend that kind of money on a board being a beginner......solomon boots rock and ride bindings are pretty much bulletproof......i suggest not buying cheap boots....these are the most important......
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

What do you think of Lib tech boards?
    Screw Lib Tech. What you need is Tech Talk.

JONG!!
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Boots...What is your price range?? Salomon boots are the best, but they are expensive. I have the F22's, if you have the cash, try them on and buy.

Bindings...I have the P'1s. I had the cartels but got rid of them for the Ps. Although I have never had problems with Burton Bindings, a lot of people have, so buyer beware. Because you are a beginer, you might want to check out the Missions.

Boards...I'd look for something in the 158 to 166 range. What kind of is up to you. You say you ride alittle of everything so you'll have plenty of options. When in doubt, DEMO.

When you go look for gear, realize that just because some boards or bindings cost more, it doesnt mean they are better. You will not want to buy the best of everything becasue it is geared towards experienced, technical riders.

And finally, TECH TALK

Shmoesmith... what deck are you riding at a 169? At the same weight but 5 11 I've got a Nitro Pantera 166 for freeride days. The stable ride at speed and extra float on the Pantera sold me on the 166, so I went a little smaller. Should I have gone up a size?
    I told you to tell them
    you was in a sanitarium, not sanitation.

What if he says yes?
    Life is not lift served.

Lib makes dope boards for big footed riders; I'm a size 12 and never had issues. Check out the Pacifier (163 or 164 wide) or the Emmagator (166) from last season; you can find those new for around $300. A guick Google turned up this:

http://www.shorelineoftahoe.com/stor...at=1594&page=1.

If you want something new, check out the Skunk Ape with Magne-Traction in a 162 ot 167.

For boots, I also say Salomon; I've got some older F22's that have held up over the past 3 seasons and have a way smaller footprint than my old Burton's.

As with everything, the highest quality comes at a price but you'll be happy you spent the extra coin.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Quote Originally Posted by 801 jav View Post
    Shmoesmith... what deck are you riding at a 169? At the same weight but 5 11 I've got a Nitro Pantera 166 for freeride days. The stable ride at speed and extra float on the Pantera sold me on the 166, so I went a little smaller. Should I have gone up a size?
    My Neversummer Titan splitboard is a 169 and my Neversummer T5 is a 168. My wife was 155lbs with gear and she rode a 164 Titan. That normally would be a bit long for her weight, but based on her riding style that is what the Neversummer techs recommended.

Height DOES NOT matter in board size. Your snowboard effectively acts as a leaf spring. Your weight will matter more than anything else. Your riding speed/style also will play into it alot. As you gain more speed, or go down steeper terrain you are going to flex the board a lot harder...this is why people that ride big mountain and racers tend to get longer stiffer boards. The forces they are putting on them demand the extra length and stiffness for stability and edge retention.

As far as the Pantera goes, a 166 should be solid for in resort riding and trees. As far as powder goes, that size is really going to depend alot on the snowboard shape itself. Your Pantera has a tapered shape with a progressive sidecut. A 166 tapered board is going to float better in powder than say a 169 that isn't tapered because the back side will sink down better(Burton fish is a good example of a shorter board that floats well because of board shape). I think your 166 should be just fine unless it gets really deep.

I forgot to mention in my original post that Nitro makes a pretty damn good board too...for the money though, I would still rather go with the original three that I posted.

Lib makes good boards, but they tend to get noodly pretty quick. If I wanted a park board I would get a lib with magnatraction...for all mountain or freeride I would go for a different brand.

thanks. It was the tapered shape that made me buy the Pantera. It has never slowed down, even on the deepest days. Super fun deck to ride when its good on the steeps. I see the BRTN Fish was better pow board in tighter terrain (glades) and would think of the Supermodel like the Pantera. Better on terrain like the Cirque for example, where you can open up your speed.
    I told you to tell them
    you was in a sanitarium, not sanitation.

On boots, I have to agree: Salomons are the best. I've always had Salomon boots. I ride the Malamutes these days which are stiff and good for freeriding. The big difference I've found with Salomon boots is that they have a narrower fit compared to American brands which seem to be a lot wider. Ive got a narrow foot, so they're great for me. Another good thing about the F range (i.e., F22) is that the exterior is magically really small which is perfect for someone with big feet because they reduce the overhang on the board. But as has already been said, get a boot that that fits well and you cannot really go wrong.

As regards board, you've got big feet which narrows down your choice of board anyway. If you're 6.2" and your weight is in proportion with your size, definitely do not go with a 1.60 board. Get the widest board if you can. 1.60 is too small. Yes, a smaller board is easier to ride but snowboarding is a sport in which you can get competent quite quickly and you will soon be over a 1.6 which will mean buying a new board. Rather than buy two boards in a season (assuming you ride often and progress.?), just go for a longer board. At least 1.65. That is definitely a happy medium for your size/weight. And you'll be happy you did when you ride powder with the larger surface area! I ride an option Supercharger. It is the best board I've ever riden. Stiff as a board and it stays almost that way riding 100 days a year. I've riden Ride, Arbor and Burton. Ride was a great board but the build wasn't and it didn't last long. Burton is just shit all round and over priced and Arbor was a great board but I exploded the side wall. Nothing has ever matched my Option for build and sturdiness. I've had three now and I'm not going to look around anymore. It is the best for me. I am very happy with Option.

What you really need to decide is your riding style. For me, the stiffer the gear the better and that includes bindings. I've got the Burton Carbon bindings (I know I've just said they were shit but sometimes you have to eat your words!). They are as stiff as you can get which gives you ultimate feel and control. If you want to do park, then that set up is definitely not for you. They will break your ankles!! If I were starting out, I would go for a slightly more forgiving binding with a bit of flex. I don't think there is too much science to the whole thing. It's just about build quality, ease of use, stiff or flexible when it comes to bindings. Go with a reliable name, decide on how stiff you want them and make sure they're easy to use with you frozen fingers and you should be fine.

Enjoy your riding!
    Life is too short for mediocrity.

Why do you dumb mother fuckers respond to douchebags asking stupid questions that belong in tech talk? You're as bad as the idiot asking them.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    Why do you dumb mother fuckers respond to douchebags asking stupid questions that belong in tech talk? You're as bad as the idiot asking them.
    Probably for the same reason you feel the need to drop your oh so vast vat of kaknowledge in this here thread.

The Neversummer Legacy board looks really nice, and has a lot of great reviews. That one is on the top of my list for now. Thanks for the help, and sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, I just joined rececntly and saw the ski/snowboard section and thought it would be the best place to post.

I'm about 195lbs and ride a couple of 163 Legacies. Great board. I've never felt the need to go any longer. A while back I remember reading that big mountain Jermey Jones rode a 162 for everything(might not anymore). The lentgh/stability connection for boards isn't as clear as it is for skis. I've never wanted anything longer but have often wanted a shorter play board.

Salomons are great boots but they don't fit my feet. For me I like in order, Northwave, 32, Burton.

Burton bindings fit very well but break all the time. I would stay away from them. I've had very good luck with Union bindings.

I am 185lbs - about your size.

Been riding a K2 Ambush 169. Willing to sell - seeing I have been on the skis pretty much every day the past season. 15 days on it, $200. Great condition.

Regardless, I would go in the mid to high 160s - if you are used to snow riding of any sort, and think you will want to go fast or hit steeps. Unless you do not like to really lean into you turns - I guess it depnds how much you like to power your stick up.