Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

I did not read all the recipes

Don't overlook the classics from time to time.

Corned Beef and Cabage. May add some new Potato's (With Skins)

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post

I do a yummy Peanut stew... veggie if you want it or add a bunch of browned chicken bits:

1 can black beans (drained)
    1 can corn
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can coconut milk
    1 cup peanut butter
    some chopped up green peppers
    some chopped up carrots
    some chopped up onions
    couple-a-cloves of galric
    cyanne pepper (1-2 tsp)
    1 tsp cinnemin
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp ginger
    2 tsp chilli pepper
    1 package chicken broth / boulion cube or some such
    I just started up the crock pot and am firing up this recipe with chicken! It's been cooking for 10 minutes and already smells tasty!

Good lawdy I love this thread, props Rev!
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Diagnosis: Delicious!

I added a bit of sugar and some Siracha's to spice 'er up a bit more. It worked really well because it had a kick to it but didn't overpower the flavor of the other tasty tasty food in the dish.

Thanks Skibee!

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Today's crock pot delight...Lamb Chili

1 pound lamb sausage
    1 can black beans
    1 can kidney beans
    chopped onion
    chopped green pepper
    1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    3 (8-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
    1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
    2 (4-ounce) cans green chilies, undrained and chopped
    To the Thingmajigger!

I made pozole tonight, substituting pork for chicken and adding more chiles and peppers. I know it's supposed to be made with pork, but I'm trying to unfat myself so I used bird. The bird did not fall apart like pork in the crock pot usually does. My fiance said it was one of her top five meals ever, but I think it was good-not-great, so I'll skip posting a recipe and instead ask:
    How do I make chicken fall apart in the slow crocker?
    Bonus: is it pozole or posole?
    another Handsome Boy graduate

I'm guessing you used chicken breasts which I don't think you'll ever get to fall apart like pork since they have so little fat in them. Skinless thighs would probably work better (and are alot cheaper) but with thighs I'm not sure how much of a health benefit you'd be getting.

quick questions. will Le Creuset or othe enamled cast ironed pots work just as well on the stove top or in the oven? I understand the cook it and leave it with the crock pot, just want some opinions.
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

In the oven, yes, on the stovetop no. One of the keys to the crockpot is that the entire pot is surrounded by a heating element.

Red Meat, Gojji Berries, All Purpose Rub, Taters and anything else tasty

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Bag O' Donuts View Post
    quick questions. will Le Creuset or othe enamled cast ironed pots work just as well on the stove top or in the oven? I understand the cook it and leave it with the crock pot, just want some opinions.

I use a cast iron dutch oven quite a bit too. Use them on the stove top or oven depending on the application. The pot is versatile enough to work well either way, but it depends on what you're cooking.

Makers and emtanate,

understood, there will be a chili colorado/tamale trip report coming up.
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Quote Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
    I use a cast iron dutch oven quite a bit too. Use them on the stove top or oven depending on the application. The pot is versatile enough to work well either way, but it depends on what you're cooking.
    I don't think you are correct about enameled cookware on the stove top, which is what he asked about.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I don't think you are correct about enameled cookware on the stove top, which is what he asked about.
    Correct. The question was a little ambiguous though. Or maybe I'm drunk.
    Works as a nice pot, but not Dutch oven.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    actually, after googling le creuset cast iron cookware, looks like I am wrong, it can go on the stove top.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It CAN go on either the stove top or in the oven, but slow cooking in the oven is better - the heat surrounds the food, whereas on a stove top (even on extra low Off/On simmer settings) the heat is 1. higher and 2. mainly comes from the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by MuleSkinner View Post
    With the first dusting of snow on the pass, definitely time to break out the crock pot.

This is being made Sunday:

Braised Short Ribs
    Ingredients
    * 4 1/2 pounds 3-inch-long beef short ribs
    * Coarse kosher salt
    * 2 cups dry red wine
    * 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
    * 1 6-ounce package sliced button mushrooms
    * 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    * 6 garlic cloves, peeled
    * 6 fresh Italian parsley sprigs
    * 2 bay leaves
    * Crusty bread

*Sprinkle ribs with coarse salt and pepper. Place in even layer in slow cooker. Add next 7 ingredients, cover, and cook on low heat until meat is tender, about 8 hours
    *Using slotted spoon, transfer ribs to serving bowl. Discard parsley and bay leaves. Spoon fat off top of sauce and pour sauce over ribs. Serve with bread
    made these the other day. pretty damn good, but i felt like it was missing something that would send them over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    It CAN go on either the stove top or in the oven, but slow cooking in the oven is better - the heat surrounds the food, whereas on a stove top (even on extra low Off/On simmer settings) the heat is 1. higher and 2. mainly comes from the bottom.
    What I meant was the pot itself works great on the stove or in the oven, depending on the application. You can use them to sear a roast on the stove top before putting the whole thing in the oven, you can pan or deep fry anything in them, slow cook with them in the oven, or even put them in a camp fire. (I wouldn't do that with the more expensive enameled ones).

I do remember having an off brand enameled pan that recommended using some sort of heat diffuser if you had an electric stove.

@ crackboy - I make something similar to that recipe, but I add red and yellow peppers and cayenne to the mix.

Today, the lady made some incredibly delicious stew type thing:

3 chicken breasts
    2 chopped carrotts
    3 chopped potatoes
    Fresh Ginger (shredded, 1/4 stalk?)
    Fresh Garlic (3 cloves)
    Fresh Lime Juice (as much as you want)
    1/2 Can Chicken Broth
    Ground Black Pepper
    little bit of lemon
    Touch of cornstarch

Fuggin delicious and oh so hearty...not to mention sinus clearing.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
    What I meant was the pot itself works great on the stove or in the oven, depending on the application. You can use them to sear a roast on the stove top before putting the whole thing in the oven, you can pan or deep fry anything in them, slow cook with them in the oven, or even put them in a camp fire. (I wouldn't do that with the more expensive enameled ones).
    No doubt - I love both of mine. My point was regarding pot-roasting only. Yes you could cook it on a stovetop in a leCreuset, but you're better off searing it first in the pot, deglazing the pot & adding veggies, then chucking it in an oven set to 170-200deg. and forgetting it for 1/2 a day. I'm doing that with some corned beef tomorrow before going to work... One beer, bed of onions, juices from Corned beef bag, a bouillion cube, and 2 bay leaves - place corned brisket on top. Should be done when I get home from work.

Yesterday morning - a 3 lb roast, trimmed the fat and rubbed with 2 tsp of Chinese five spice. Minced up five cloves of garlic and pressed it into the roast. Put roast in crock pot and pour in 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup hoisin sauce, 5 tbs honey and 5 tbs of ketchup. Cooked on low for 8 hours, removed the roast and cut into big chunks, stirred up the sauce, put the chunks back in to cook on high for another hour to hour and a half. Shred the meat and stir to get all saucy. Fuggin' deelish.
    Fightin' to save the motherfucking day...

Quote Originally Posted by FartBag Commando View Post
    Yesterday morning - a 3 lb roast, trimmed the fat and rubbed with 2 tsp of Chinese five spice. Minced up five cloves of garlic and pressed it into the roast. Put roast in crock pot and pour in 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup hoisin sauce, 5 tbs honey and 5 tbs of ketchup. Cooked on low for 8 hours, removed the roast and cut into big chunks, stirred up the sauce, put the chunks back in to cook on high for another hour to hour and a half. Shred the meat and stir to get all saucy. Fuggin' deelish.
    the boys said it was amazing!! nice work.. side of wasabi mashed potatoes sound good with that!!
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Quote Originally Posted by skiguide View Post
    the boys said it was amazing!! nice work.. side of wasabi mashed potatoes sound good with that!!
    Holy shit, that is a great idea! I just put it on top of basmati but there are leftovers and I have a 10 lb bag of potatoes I paid 98 cents for at Reams....
    Fightin' to save the motherfucking day...

making a bone-in lamb leg roast right now. beef stock, carrots, sweet potatos, onion, garlic cloves, cailiflower, peas.
    i have some spiced rum and some port wine in the cabinet right now and was wondering if would be worth it to add a little bit of one of them? also thinking about tossing in some rosemary. good idea or not?

Don't forget to throw the rosemary in right near the end, with like 45 mins left or so. I have read in multiple places that fresh herbs shouldn't go in until the very end of the cooking or they lose their potency and you won't get the full effect from them.

Also some veggies don't do well if left in the entire time. I found this out when I put red peppers into a dish and there was nothing left of them except red pepper skins floating around.

Haven't heard of using rum in a recipe yet, let us know how it turns out.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Chili Colorado:
    * 9 dried New Mexico chiles, washed,with stems & seeds removed
    * 3 cups water
    * 5 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat
    * 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1 tablespoon kosher salt
    * 1 tablespoon black pepper
    * 3 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 large yellow onion, chopped
    * 2 cups beef stock or water

#1 Place chiles and 3 cups water into a medium stockpot, and bring to a boil.
    #2 Remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes to soften.
    #3 If necessary, place a plate or bowl on top of the peppers to keep them under the water.
    #4 Meanwhile, Cut the roast into bite-size chunks.
    #5 In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper.
    #6 Dredge the beef chunks in the seasoned flour; set aside.
    #7 Strain chilies into a bowl, reserving the cooking liquid.
    #8 Place the chiles and some of the liquid into a blender, (don't use a food processor) and puree until smooth.
    #9 Add more liquid as necessary to form a smooth sauce.
    #10 Pass sauce through a fine mesh strainer or food mill to remove any seeds and the tough skins; set aside.
    #11 Place the chopped onion in 4-6 quart crock-pot.
    #12 Brown meat in olive oil and add to crock-pot.
    #13 Stir in pureed chile mixture.
    #14 Add beef stock to just cover beef chunks.
    #15 Cook on low 8-10 hrs, or high 4-5.

It was pretty good, when i do it again I would add chili flakes for more heat and probably brown the meat with some garlic.