Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Anyone else starting to sweat a bit?

No real snow to speak of yet here in CO. A little and enough for a few turns here and there but nothing huge. Resorts start opening in about 30 days and right now it is 65 degrees outside. Looks like just a trace of snow over the weekend then maybe some on Wednesday or Thursday but that system as of now should track more north. Looks like our early season could SUCK! Anyone else starting to sweat this whole trend a bit?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    No real snow to speak of yet here in CO. A little and enough for a few turns here and there but nothing huge. Resorts start opening in about 30 days and right now it is 65 degrees outside. Looks like just a trace of snow over the weekend then maybe some on Wednesday or Thursday but that system as of now should track more north. Looks like our early season could SUCK! Anyone else starting to sweat this whole trend a bit?
    Don't fear.....early season seems to either be hammering or bone dry....the snow will come.....the snow will come.

[/anti-fucking-jinx]

Definitely don't fear. It's not even Halloween. Some of my best early season days in Colorado came after Indian summer days in late October. Patience mad man. Patience.

as long as that one run stays open at a basin all season long...i think we'll all be okay...

who needs real snow when you got the a basin crew on top of that shit...
    living well is the best revenge.

"He said he was at costco serving ass kickings up in bulk"

"Tequila is the most jealous of all the liquors. If you are going to partake in alcohol beverages and you're going to start with tequila, stay with tequila, don't mix that." ~ some bum

its kinda depressing looking up at copper everyday when I go to work, there's some manmade snow up top, but for a nov 2nd opening we need some natural. They also just took all the chairs OFF of Eagle lift. apparently they have to replace the haul cable before the season starts, which could be a bit interesting.
    set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul

In reality, early season snow sucks, unless it KEEPS snowing.

We got a coupla feet in Utah, but now we are destined for possibly seeing some nasty depth hoar when it does start to snow again. All this does is increase avy hazard.

I had fun skiing a few days ago, but could have lived without it in exchange for a stable snowpack in the future.

cj001f looks at calender. Confirms todays date is October 10th.
    Elvis has left the building

Easy there Montana, you need to reset your seasonal clock to Colorado time- Around here Winter comes 3-4 weeks later then up north in MT. There's a 50/50 chance that on Vail's opening day you'll be able to ski and play 9 holes of golf down valley in the afternoon. Shit, this year you'll be probably be able to ski in the morning, play golf in the afternoon and catch a baseball game that night.
    Check back around Halloween, if things are still bleak then we can start to get nervous.
    Oh, and beefcake, STFU:
    beefcake: as long as that one run stays open at a basin all season long...i think we'll all be okay...

What? Did you smack your head today or is the altitude getting to you?
    Nothing against early season at the 'Basin, but come on, you can't be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    *cough* *anti-jinx*
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

*does the snow dance*
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

It don't snow in Vail til the ski swap. (Halloween-ish weekend). You'll want to go to that BTW. Hockey arena.

And listen to TH. Snow's sketch enough here w/o early crap.

One of my best years ('87 I think) was sweating up high above Marble to this kind of weather at end of Oct and then skiing the opening of the steeps at LL on Nov 9th about ten days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dokken View Post
    They also just took all the chairs OFF of Eagle lift. apparently they have to replace the haul cable before the season starts, which could be a bit interesting.
    Should be doable... not a huge deal AFAIK, just expensive.

I am starting to sweat, but it's going to be 90F here on the weekend so that's normal.

Is that why I'm sweating?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

listen to zappa.

man, it's only mid-october !

just because CO had halloween snow last year, doesnt mean every year. i'll take a strong spring over an early start. last spring flattened out a little on storms and that's a lot worse, IMO.

snow will come, you will ski, fat people will wear bright red fartbags and fall down and it will be halarious.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post

We got a coupla feet in Utah, but now we are destined for possibly seeing some nasty depth hoar when it does start to snow again. All this does is increase avy hazard.

I had fun skiing a few days ago, but could have lived without it in exchange for a stable snowpack in the future.
    Is there that much snow down south still? It will be just about gone by tomorrow up here in Ogden.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

here in tahoe last season we kept chanting the same verse over and over till about mid march(well mid march for me at least, most people gave up before that): "the snow will come, its gotta come." well, it never did. So yeah, if you're sweatin a little, there's a good reason for it.

GLOBAL WARMING IS A BITCH! 65 degrees in CO is pretty shocking to me for this time of year. The one memory that sticks out the most for me visiting colorado twice is that it's fucking cold in those parts!

Time for Jer to chime in...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

here in tahoe last season we kept chanting the same verse over and over till about mid march(well mid march for me at least, most people gave up before that): "the snow will come, its gotta come." well, it never did. So yeah, if you're sweatin a little, there's a good reason for it.
    Where do you ski? Kirkwood's 380 inches last year is well over most Colorado resorts average annual snowfall. I can remember at least five excellent powder days before mid February where each day you would hear people in the lift lines exclaiming it was Tahoe's first real powder day. For once, the mountain didn't flatten out too much by the beginning of March. Still, I was chanting.

Am i sweating?
    Hell yeah, but in a good way. We've had more early October snowfall than I remember in the past and then ther'es this

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

get stoked about fishing and the snow will fall, trust me on this
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sftc View Post
    Shit, this year you'll be probably be able to ski in the morning, play golf in the afternoon and catch a baseball game that night.
    I see what you did there...

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    I see what you did there...
    OK, busted, you're right, there probably won't be any skiing in the Vail Valley by late Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    get stoked about fishing and the snow will fall, trust me on this
    You're damn right AKPM! It will come....do something else until then. And, as TH pointed out...all early season snow does is create problem layers at the base of the pack...UNLESS it keeps dumping.
    Bring on Brown Trout season!

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Looks like our early season could SUCK! Anyone else starting to sweat this whole trend a bit?
    Hey JONG. STFU. You just moved here.

Vail doesn't even start blowing snow until Halloween.

Look at a map. Colorado is much more south than Montucky. It'll be snowy and cold in a month. Until then, please shut the fuck up. Thanks-The Management