Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

STRAP ON SKIS FOR 2YR OLD

Anyone know where I can help a friend find some strap on plastic skis for her 2 year old. The kind you use with regular snow boots.

I have seen good reviews for young kids - and is seems to make sense, cause he won't be edging for a while.

As the snow begins to fall, mommy is becoming antsy and wants the young one ready.

Any help - New or Used

I think I have a pair somewhere that were for my brother like 4 years ago. if you are interested, let me know and I'll check. I remember we found them at a regular ski shop.

I bought these for my two year old niece.

edit: Not getting the link to work, but backcountry.com has them

Kids Karhu K'BOOM skis
    Last edited by hialtitude; 10-10-2007 at 03:51 PM.

google "Kid-Ski Happy Skis"

The place we brought ours no longer sells them. But, there are plenty of places the still do.

I think levelninesports.com has them.

the shop that I work at has a couple pair, i'll check on the price tomorrow and let you know
    set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul

Little Miss Sinecure loved them when she was two. If you strike out elsewhere, Reliable Racing sells them also.

I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Thanks for the leads.

Still waiting to hear back from Kirkwood if they will let him up the lift with strap ons. Some resorts do not I've heard.

Sincer/onehotchili - do those bindings strap the heel in place? The backcountry.com ski is like a XC ski - and mom would prefer he learns alpine first...

May PM as soon as I hear back from the resort.

They freeheel. But you are talking about a 2 year old. They are just going to slide downhill standing with stiff knees. It doesn't matter.

On the lift? I'm not sure I'd have taken my daughter up the lift with them. Besides, she was totally happy just sliding down the hill by ski school. I suspect that if you bought her a ticket you could get away with getting on the lift with the skis.

They actually are XC skis. They have the little fish scales on the bottom. Its great because if they get the hang of it, they can sort of walk back up the hill.

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

I need a pair for this winter if anyone has them cheap.

thx
    . . .

We put climbing skin scraps on my sons K-booms and found them much easier to walk around our neighborhood. The fishscales didnt give much grip on the hard snow. He started using those at about 14 months and now that hes three, walking around on skis is second nature for him. Getting him on those skis also instilled a love for the sport that I think has made him more excited than some of the other three y.o.'s that are just being exposed. The soft boots just didnt give him enough support to do too much downhill. This year he's got an alpine setup and hes more excited than Beefcake at the A-basin opener.

edit: Watch ebay. Thats where I found them.
    Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 10-14-2007 at 06:43 PM.

For any advicve on strap-ons, you should check w/ Rontele.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

as a parent of four little rippers, I find them a waste of time and a complete frustration.

All four kids have used them at one time or another and I hate them. So do they.

Furthermore, I believe they can condition kids to hate skiing. I've seen this not in our kids, but in others'.

Wait a year until they can get into real gear.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Fellow KWeeder, I've got a pair of Kabooms that you boy could try out. We'll be up on the WEs. The lifties didn't care about the skis or lift passes for kids this young.

Quote Originally Posted by snowranger View Post
    Fellow KWeeder, I've got a pair of Kabooms that you boy could try out. We'll be up on the WEs. The lifties didn't care about the skis or lift passes for kids this young.
    That would be killer. He has the pass already - he likes wearing it. In fact he likes to put on his helmet, snow pants and pass - and run around the house screaming "ski, ski, ski!" No wonder I like him.

They are going to be up just a few weekends this winter, as mom is pregnant with #2. I am the official trainer, so it looks like I will spend a few days on #9. I do have the Powder Day rule, though.

Let me know how we can hook up. They are still considering getting him a full alpine set up - they are concerned with skiing-in-jackson's point - but it looks like he will only get on the hill a few days this winter. So this may be the ticket.

Ottime,

We will have our #2, who is also 2 yrs old, out at k-wood this w/ the strap on plastic skis. Let me when you are going up with him.

I got my daughter out on the plastic skis last year at 18 months. Just to get her used to the sliding sensation.

Here she is ripping up Pine St:

15 minutes later:
    Last edited by cmsummit; 10-15-2007 at 04:14 PM.
    Old's Cool.

Great thread, need some of these too for my 2.765 year old daughter.

I agree w/ S.I.J. and recommend against this sort of set up. If you have ever tried to click into bindings with tennis shoesand try to go down the hill know you'll why. For the family Mofro, I found the smallest boots I could find (15.5's- they had to double up on the socks) and some real skis ~77cm. The advantage here is that NEXT year when your 3 yr old is ready you can use the same gear. The plastic skis IMHO are as useful as teaching the kid how to stand up in a saucer while you tow it.

I started my son at 2.5 years, and my daughter at 20 months this way.
    8 sec lo res vid of Emma on skis at 22 months.

I'd spread the love and offer up some gear but it's all out on loan already.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I agree w/ S.I.J. and recommend against this sort of set up. If you have ever tried to click into bindings with tennis shoesand try to go down the hill know you'll why. For the family Mofro, I found the smallest boots I could find (15.5's- they had to double up on the socks) and some real skis ~77cm. The advantage here is that NEXT year when your 3 yr old is ready you can use the same gear. The plastic skis IMHO are as useful as teaching the kid how to stand up in a saucer while you tow it.

I started my son at 2.5 years, and my daughter at 20 months this way.
    8 sec lo res vid of Emma on skis at 22 months.

I'd spread the love and offer up some gear but it's all out on loan already.
    holy shit. 22 months old and started at 20 months and she's ripping!!

That is awesome.
    I guess there is hope for my guy this winter after all!
    . . .

I'm not going to get in a pissing match over 1-2 y.o. skis, but when we went to pick up my kids first set of real skis this weekend he was more excited than the other 15 kids in there combined. All of them were older and half of them were obviously scared because they had never had skis on their feet. I attribute this excitement to the fact that he spent a lot of time on those plastic skis. He had a blast every minute.

SIJ, if you "hate" something, I'm sure your kid will hate it too. Get frustrated and I'm sure your kid will get frustrated.

Ottime, don't listen to that bullshit.

I guess hate may be the incorrect word- useless may be more like it.

most kids can barely walk in sorels and snow suits let alone master a controlled slide on Eagles Rest.

I found them useless for teaching anything remotely related to skiing to a child in the 12-24 mo range. All our kids ski very strong- usually 80-100 days a year...

And while I'm not an expert at many things, I'm an expert at getting my kids up on skis and covering the mountain.

Strap on skis are useless.

This is not a pissing match.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ear+skis+tower
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Great pics cmsummit! We had the same gear. LLBean sled and all!

-snowsprite

Strap ons are a tool and like any tool, it is all in choosing the right one for the job.

What are they good for?

Having fun and wanting to play at skiing.

Getting used to having "big feet" and walking around with skis on. Skiing in the house.

Being able to ski right away, without having to screw around with putting on hard boots. I brought them with us when we went outside to play in the snow. Don't want to ski? Fine. Want to ski? Slap them on in under a minute and you're good to go. I also think sliding down a very gentle hill on them gets the kid to move with the ski, rather then lever off the back of a boot.

I have taught hundreds of little people to ski and the ones that have been in Nordic/strap ons pick it up in a flash.

/not pissing
    Last edited by Tunco; 10-15-2007 at 09:12 PM.

some A-Basin stokage :
    Old's Cool.