Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    This is all great information. I think because Ollie will only be able to make it up 2-4 weekends this winter, Mom is leaning toward the strap-ons. The whole idea this season is to get him used to skis on his feet. While Kweed is known for having steeps - Chair #9 is barely a hill... so it should work fine.

I really like the idea of just skiing on a whim. Do a run or two and get over it? Take off the skis and run around. No need to run back to the car or lodge to change. Get over running around? Strap on the ski.

Is it the same as alpine? no. S-I-J I see your point - but this guy is not going to get 80 days, let alone 8.

For the fellow Kirkweeders, I will PM you as Ollie's family firms up their plans - and try to find you out on the hill. It would be sweet to hook up with some Mags on the bunny hill - and maybe get some turns on other days.

Our 2 both started with a normal set up, but it was supplied by the ski school they attended (age 2).

One thing I'm wondering - is there any danger of injury with them the strap ons?
    2-58

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    I started on those skis, but my parents got them mounted with regular bindings. Great idea, start your kids into an expensive addiction.

K-Booms

Hey Ottime, I've been pondering this same topic since last May and just purchased a pair of the Karhu K-Booms. The best price I could find was $30 from SecondAscent.com (but Google "Second Ascent ValPac" for some coupon codes and additional savings).

These are for my fourth child, and the first time I've tried them. They came highly recommended by an old-school tele and nordic instructor friend. My older boys (now teenagers) went directly into alpine gear at ages 2 and 3, and I've never been successful in getting them interested in anything but riding the lifts. My daughter (now 3) is going into a nordic setup this winter. She's, the toughest of my kids, and the most likely prospect as a future backcountry companion. I want to get her accustomed to a free heel and touring on skis, but she's a real dare devel and will need more control than strap-ons can offer. The K-Booms are for my youngest son (2) who won't want to be left behind without skis, but will probably spend just as much time in the pulk (with warm feet).

Good luck.

http://www.secondascent.com/shopping...promo1020.html)

Bump for anyone who wants to get rid of skis like this - provided Ottime got his, Core Shot and I are also looking for some.

Stop holding out - they won't look good in your ski fence anyway.
    'Least I ain't chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rad View Post
    Bump for anyone who wants to get rid of skis like this - provided Ottime got his, Core Shot and I are also looking for some.

Stop holding out - they won't look good in your ski fence anyway.
    Coreshot, J-Rad and Buzzworthy looking for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Coreshot, J-Rad and Buzzworthy looking for some.
    SkiEvil looking also!
    Courage + believe = life. Life is not about how many breaths you take. It's what you do with those breaths

I'm getting mine from OHC, so looks like we are all set up.

Bumping this old thread...If anyone has a used set of strap ons (slow pitch) they wouldn't mind passing along, let me know! I'd like to get our 2yo out this spring. Thanks in advance!
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    Bumping this old thread...If anyone has a used set of strap ons (slow pitch) they wouldn't mind passing along, let me know! I'd like to get our 2yo out this spring. Thanks in advance!
    you know what? I thought about getting strap on skis for my 2 yr old but just went with the real deal. Unless you find a screaming deal on strap on skis (which will only be good for a season likely) you'll only be about $50 more for an entire true alpine setup..I was actually able to get 2 pr skis/bindings/boots for just over $100. So she's set for at least 3 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    you know what? I thought about getting strap on skis for my 2 yr old but just went with the real deal. Unless you find a screaming deal on strap on skis (which will only be good for a season likely) you'll only be about $50 more for an entire true alpine setup..I was actually able to get 2 pr skis/bindings/boots for just over $100. So she's set for at least 3 seasons.
    That's a helluva deal skipup. Just be sure and don't mount them 2mm off!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's