Page 47 of 432 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 10796
    scrublover that last shot is sick! is that a CT spot?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    scrublover that last shot is sick! is that a CT spot?
    Yep, about half an hour north of me. Have already given the builder shit for making the bridge so freakin' wide.

It's from a place that was long ago an iron ore mine operation. Cool spot.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Right on! That's rad. Grew up across the street from some woods that had some awesome slabby granite like that, not as big, but where I learned my first hucks to flat and tried to build the most ghetto North Shore tracks through there possible. Wish we had more rock like that out here in JH, but I'll take the vert here
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Some McPherson trails in the Revelstoke area. Above the highway got IMBA'ed. Below the highway still has the old school tech

Right on! That's rad. Grew up across the street from some woods that had some awesome slabby granite like that, not as big, but where I learned my first hucks to flat and tried to build the most ghetto North Shore tracks through there possible. Wish we had more rock like that out here in JH, but I'll take the vert here
    That's the thing - lotsa roots and rocks, but not a lot of vert to work with. We make do. If I want more than a couple hundred feet in a stretch, it means driving a fair bit. Even my closest lift riding is barely a hair over 1000'

Got to figure out a trade agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    That's the thing - lotsa roots and rocks, but not a lot of vert to work with. We make do. If I want more than a couple hundred feet in a stretch, it means driving a fair bit. Even my closest lift riding is barely a hair over 1000'

Got to figure out a trade agreement.
    Or we both move to BC

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Some McPherson trails in the Revelstoke area. Above the highway got IMBA'ed. Below the highway still has the old school tech
    I'm curious as to which trails you rode? Did you try Tantrum or Black Forest or Root Canal or TNT or Berm Donor or Break-a-Leg or Ridgewalk or Buff Enuff…? There's no shortage of roots and rocks on any of those. Flowdown is pretty much the only IMBA trail at Macpherson, and that was a trail that was badly needed and is still super fun — you just have to ride it fast and take chances.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    I'm curious as to which trails you rode? Did you try Tantrum or Black Forest or Root Canal or TNT or Berm Donor or Break-a-Leg or Ridgewalk or Buff Enuff…? There's no shortage of roots and rocks on any of those. Flowdown is pretty much the only IMBA trail at Macpherson, and that was a trail that was badly needed and is still super fun — you just have to ride it fast and take chances.
    I really like McPherson trails but most are really just different shades of "blue square" type difficulty. Could use a small jump type trail up there and a more techy down trail with some rock faces. Dh trails are mostly steep fall line trails in revy. Very few jumps and I find it strange that there's only one log ride in the whole valley(berm donor optional). Not really a complaint because there is a lot of fun stuff but just surprised the powers that be , with all their motivation, aren't keen for that stuff. I should say, I've never made a stokelist whine on this

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    Tantrum, Black Forest, Root Canal, Ridgewalk, Buff Enuff, Super Happy Fun, TNT, Berm Donor, Tightrope on the upper trails. Conditions were dry. Some of the trails are reasonably techy but my view is coloured by memories of 2007 when I last rode McPherson and singletrack was narrow and there was way less use. In 2010 when we rode Crowbar that trail was in great shape. This time around when we rode Foreplay and SexontheBeach those trails too were in great shape. I know things change and the trails evolve and as more people ride the trails get worn so I'm not knocking that.

Flowdown is basically half finished imo. Anything that added character was taken out. Eg little grade reversals that could be made into a hit, twists-and-turns incorporate into straightaways - none of that is there. I know trails like Flowdown are necessary for beginners IMO its' possible to build trails for beginners that aren;t boring and personally I found that trail was well-routed but bored me to tears; like most IMBA trails. I couldn't get off it quick enough. To qualify I've ridden flow trails that are interesting - but Flowdown was not one of them.

It's just my opinion from seeing other trail systems in other towns and having done a lot of trailwork. RCA seems to have community consensus so I've got no bone to pick here. If that's what people want in their trails then that's great. Its JMO

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I really like McPherson trails but most are really just different shades of "blue square" type difficulty. Could use a small jump type trail up there and a more techy down trail with some rock faces. Dh trails are mostly steep fall line trails in revy. Very few jumps and I find it strange that there's only one log ride in the whole valley(berm donor optional). Not really a complaint because there is a lot of fun stuff but just surprised the powers that be , with all their motivation, aren't keen for that stuff. I should say, I've never made a stokelist whine on this
    yup i saw the stokelist whines and that's pretty low. But i've heard some old-timers also not be happy with changes. I guess its good that there's passion involved - if no-one cared then that'd be worse

Fully agree w both posts Lee. Well said. So much potential. All those trails could have hits(small) off on the side. Just a lil shape. Berms on TNT and new climb to it need to be 3 times as high if turns are that tight, and extended. Tech trail with hits and rock faces from top of quarry? (Bench overlooking lodge) connecting faces down to "chair". Rolly jumpy and berms in clear cut at too of "suoerhappyfun before it gets steep into the trees w a few jumps scattered lower down(few if any climb that trail). Tech dh type trail w hits from burnt knob to bottom of tantrum would be xtra on the dream list. Asked if anyone would mind if I built up the berms on TNT and new trail but was told no. Would have no effect on existing trail just higher above existing tiny berms. Oh well. I'll continue clearing deadfall when I can

I don't know the situation for the RCA. Maybe their funder is pretty tight on the rules. Maybe they're new starting out and don't know how far they can push it?

The situations variable in the province as there's more paid trail work. As you get money you have to be accountable.

In some places the funding agency is hands off and/or the trailbuilder is experienced so you get sanctioned trails where there can be creativity. Examples Squamish (BRT and Dreamwizards), Fraser Valley (Ewan), Engadin (Shane W - IMBA Europe), Smithers (Brian). In some places, everything is by the book and IMBA'ized - eg early Burns Lakes trails, NSMBA TAP).

Two points though. It's not IMBA's fault - they just set guidelines but often people adopt them as rules. Another point is that in some places there are so few beginner trails (North Van) that beginner trails are necessary. Looking at the Strava Heatmap of Revy it shows that Flowdown and Frisby, as examples of classic IMBA trails, are the most popular. So it looks like what's the riders want

I don't know Keith M at all but he seems like a nice guy and he seems open enough so maybe in the future you might get a mini Lost Boys in McPherson? Or maybe some more trails in McKenzie? The terrain sure is nice in there.

OK - too much talk

Cartier Heli drop

[img][/img]

I generally prefer MTB pictures, but decided to try mounting my contour just beneath my stem. The footage is a little shaky, but oh well. Annadel Park - basically my backyard near Sonoma / Santa Rosa, CA.

A really great day from a few weeks ago, 100% non IMBA sanctioned trail! Lee, this is one of the ones I tried to take you to between pouring rainstorms a few years back.

"The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

At first I was thinking Emerald, but no. Which one is that?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Tantrum, Black Forest, Root Canal, Ridgewalk, Buff Enuff, Super Happy Fun, TNT, Berm Donor, Tightrope on the upper trails. Conditions were dry. Some of the trails are reasonably techy but my view is coloured by memories of 2007 when I last rode McPherson and singletrack was narrow and there was way less use. In 2010 when we rode Crowbar that trail was in great shape. This time around when we rode Foreplay and SexontheBeach those trails too were in great shape. I know things change and the trails evolve and as more people ride the trails get worn so I'm not knocking that.

Flowdown is basically half finished imo. Anything that added character was taken out. Eg little grade reversals that could be made into a hit, twists-and-turns incorporate into straightaways - none of that is there. I know trails like Flowdown are necessary for beginners IMO its' possible to build trails for beginners that aren;t boring and personally I found that trail was well-routed but bored me to tears; like most IMBA trails. I couldn't get off it quick enough. To qualify I've ridden flow trails that are interesting - but Flowdown was not one of them.

It's just my opinion from seeing other trail systems in other towns and having done a lot of trailwork. RCA seems to have community consensus so I've got no bone to pick here. If that's what people want in their trails then that's great. Its JMO
    Cool. I know when I moved to Revy and picked up mountain biking, there was a dearth of beginner trails. So now there are some. I'm not enough of an expert to get into trail building styles and all that, I just thought the comment that upper Macpherson was completely IMBAed was kind of silly. It would be nice to get a Crowbar-style trail up there (without those heinous switchbacks).

Anyways, here's two pictures from up north of here:

Go forth and ride, then bring back pics

Beauty pic as always^^^hope my rant didn't sound like a rant McP r great trails just stoked someone besides me sees tha potential(Lee). I agree on no cb type heinous switchbacks

Few days of riding in Chilcotin dreamland..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14673999168_013c543eb6_c.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	157350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14858132934_025a11727b_c.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	157351  

A couple quick shots from my Friday after work ride.

Probably too much instagrammification. Sorry.

Go forth and ride, then bring back pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1407711927.574369.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	157357

Took the trail less traveled today.. Top of Basalt MTN
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

solesides all these Chilcotin epic photo TRs with tons of alpine riding are gettin me whoozy! how long did you ride for and what kind of dog do you have that can hold it together for that long?

solesides all these Chilcotin epic photo TRs with tons of alpine riding are gettin me whoozy! how long did you ride for and what kind of dog do you have that can hold it together for that long?
    The dog is a working dog, a member of the Canadian Avalanche Rescue Dog Association, and is accustomed to big days. Uphill is totally fine for her, but chasing bikes downhill at speed during 7,000' of descending was a bit much. After our first big day she was pretty blown out. She didn't join us for a smaller day on day two, but came along again for a big one on day three. All three rides were done as day trips: 60 miles over three days with about 13,000' climbing and 17,000' descending (shuttling accounts for the difference - when you start your days with the Taylor approach into the alpine and finish out Gun Creek, the use of two vehicles for a shuttle is pretty important.). We like to camp at Carpenter Lake at the Gun Creek rec site; others prefer sites around Tyax. If you're planning a trip up, would be happy to share maps, routes, etc... An updated South Chilcotin map was released a couple of years ago, and is sold at Pemberton Bike Co, among other shops in the area.

Nice! That's awesome. The downhills are he trouble zones for my two hounds too. Whether it's skiing or biking. Thanks for the offer of beta on the routes too!