Page 96 of 432 FirstFirst ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 10796
    Went for a ride through berry bushes and downed trees last weekend on a trail that usually has the best views in a hundred miles (Trail 120), if you can gain the ridge. There's a trail in there somewhere. Maybe the huckleberries will be ripe in a few weeks, at least.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160724_110051.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	185478
    After the 60th tree we decided to call it and went off to have a look at Tr 67--a bit easier going on the ridges!

Name:	20160724_153001.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	185480

I rode down to the store and bought a bottle of cheap wine.

Hump Day!!
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Also, does every one have a 'good' foot that goes in front when you go down? Is it worthwhile to practice with the other foot in front? and, uh, how do I turn? Is there some kind of magic trick to get around tight corners or do you keep trying till you don't fall over?
    I do have a "good" foot, but I try to switch it up after a guy told me about his friend who was a MTB guide in Moab who got sciatica from riding with the same foot in front all the time.

The tight corners just take practice, like most things in life.

I crashed over my handlebars today for the first time and got a fat lip.

have you done the endo where you walk over the bars and keep walking pretending like you didn't just fall off your bike?
    that's one of my favorites

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post

I crashed over my handlebars today for the first time and got a fat lip.
    That's a fun looking little rig you got yourself there mtngirl79. As someone mentioned, get yourself a dropper post and I would maybe get rid of that heavy set up you have around your front chain rings by dumping the front derailleur and going with a single 34 toothed ring. It's nice to get rid of that extra rotation weight and simplify a little.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Yes, definitely buy more stuff. Get the dropper post, take off the front derailleur and shifter, swap out your tires and get lighter ones with sealant, etc. Then you'll be able to ride more.
    From spring:

Name:	IMG_4937 (1).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	185558
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    That's a fun looking little rig you got yourself there mtngirl79. As someone mentioned, get yourself a dropper post and I would maybe get rid of that heavy set up you have around your front chain rings by dumping the front derailleur and going with a single 34 toothed ring. It's nice to get rid of that extra rotation weight and simplify a little.
    34 seems tall for a beginner. Or anyone that may ride a hill.

Just enjoy the bike as-is mntgirl. What people are recommending would cost more than what you paid for your bike. Reducing gears is free, but what beginner ever said, man I wish I had less gears on all these hills?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Just enjoy the bike as-is mntgirl. What people are recommending would cost more than what you paid for your bike. Reducing gears is free, but what beginner ever said, man I wish I had less gears on all these hills?
    agree- wait till it wears out and then replace with the latest and greatest-
    except for the dropper post. Worth their weight in gold particularly for my lady friends who dont want to bother with the whole seat adjustment thing. Has been ride changing for many of them
    skid luxury

dropper post in on the list as is doing something with the gearing. I do not go to the small chain ring often.

Joe says we could put some awesome parts on this bike with the intention of switching them to a better bike.. I will probably get a full suspension next spring, and as long as I still have Joe, we can piece together which is fun, especially because he doesn't do it for me, he teaches me.

I put the new handlebars and stem and changed the seat to the new seat post myself and then got help with getting the headset right and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    Just finished 6 days riding in North Carolina. Awesome. Newton--Bent Creek--DuPont State Forest. Will definitely be back for DuPont. Killer network and great locals.

Sick! Gonna be living there for the fall. Anybody you meet got any dog friendly rentals?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1469762922.694696.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	185577

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    agree- wait till it wears out and then replace with the latest and greatest-
    except for the dropper post. Worth their weight in gold particularly for my lady friends who dont want to bother with the whole seat adjustment thing. Has been ride changing for many of them
    This. Dropper post is worth it. The rest, meh, whatever.
    -signed, someone who has spent way too much money on bike parts this year

Go forth and ride, then bring back pics

Dropper post is the game changer.
    One from today in Stowe VT

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1469809657.864474.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  336.9 KB
    crab in my shoe mouth

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1469810291.442456.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  531.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1469810317.891972.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  429.7 KB

Saw a bunch of moose last night up Millcreek. The trails could certainly use a little rain one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Sick! Gonna be living there for the fall. Anybody you meet got any dog friendly rentals?
    Based on all my dog owning friends there, Asheville seems pretty dog friendly. And should seem really cheap after Jackson. Enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    34 seems tall for a beginner. Or anyone that may ride a hill.
    Really? Maybe mine is actually a 32, I'm terrible at tech speak and mostly clueless. I do know that I used to have a 36 with a little ring and I hardly used the front derailleur. I did have to stand up and work sometimes.

As far as spending money if you have some friends it's not that hard to find hand me downs, people that ride a lot often have parts that just sit around. Just keep your eyes open mtngirl79. Other than those two easy upgrades that bike looks like a lot of fun. I've been riding for 30 years now and the idea of a simplified hard tail bike becomes more and more attractive every year. The sport has become so expensive I'm tempted to fully rebel and become that weirdo wearing cut off jean shorts, western pearl button shirts and rock a funky mustache while riding around on my fully rigid single speed bike killing beers out in the forest.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Y'all must have really strong legs or not very steep hills or much different rear gearing. 36T is my big ring... with 24T as the small. 11-36T in the back. I use granny all the damn time.

Trying not to melt at South Mountain in Phoenix last night:

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Y'all must have really strong legs or not very steep hills or much different rear gearing.
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with you there.

Really? Maybe mine is actually a 32, I'm terrible at tech speak and mostly clueless. I do know that I used to have a 36 with a little ring and I hardly used the front derailleur. I did have to stand up and work sometimes.

As far as spending money if you have some friends it's not that hard to find hand me downs, people that ride a lot often have parts that just sit around. Just keep your eyes open mtngirl79. Other than those two easy upgrades that bike looks like a lot of fun. I've been riding for 30 years now and the idea of a simplified hard tail bike becomes more and more attractive every year. The sport has become so expensive I'm tempted to fully rebel and become that weirdo wearing cut off jean shorts, western pearl button shirts and rock a funky mustache while riding around on my fully rigid single speed bike killing beers out in the forest.
    This is my buddy Joe. The white bike is a steel Norco from 1984 with no suspension and one gear and he out rides me on the thing, not that that is a huge undertaking... but I bet he could keep up with a lot of you on it.

He did a century ride last weekend on a single speed, too.

I rode my fatty full rigid for a year and a half and loved it BUT it was beating me up, put a good fork on it late spring and now it's nearly perfect. It's become a point and shoot machine and I love the simplicity of a hardtail after all those years of riding full squish.

That guy is KIR for sure! Some of the most impressive riders I have known over the years are like that. I've seen guys on fully rigid bikes kill some really steep nasty stuff too, stuff that there is no way in hell I would attempt on a rig like that.
    dirtbag, not a dentist