Minus the Bear fans

What did everyone think of Planet of Ice? Some of it seems very un-Minus the Bear. I mean that in a good way though. A few of the songs sound like they were listening to Dark Side of the Moon when they wrote them. Overall, I loved the album though.

Thoughts?

Waaaay different from Highly Refined Pirates, but I don't think it's a bad evolution. I think it's overall more integrated, using more of different KINDS of music in songs (particularly Double Vision Quest, which has some of the same kind of guitar chords as Menos El Oso but with some more rock infused). I heard Double Vision Quest at the Denver show in May and was blown away.

Overall, not quite what I expected, but I like it. Don't love it, but definitely like it.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Waaaay different from Highly Refined Pirates, but I don't think it's a bad evolution. I think it's overall more integrated, using more of different KINDS of music in songs (particularly Double Vision Quest, which has some of the same kind of guitar chords as Menos El Oso but with some more rock infused). I heard Double Vision Quest at the Denver show in May and was blown away.

Overall, not quite what I expected, but I like it. Don't love it, but definitely like it.
    Yeah, I agree. Definitely sounds like they wanted to mix it up a bit. They used a lot less of the guitar tapping they're known for, and a lot more spacey sounding guitar effects. Personally I think Knights is phenomenal. They played that when I saw them in Seattle last winter, and melted my face off

If the song titles are any indication, it seems these boys are growing up. I'm liking the new tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowToad View Post
    If the song titles are any indication, it seems these boys are growing up. I'm liking the new tunes.
    Possible. I loved their old song titles, pre-Menos el Oso. They had nothing to do with the songs, but they were always entertaining.