Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What length Mantras?

Well, I guess it's time to think about gear, as there are some good deals out there right now. Any recommendations on what length Mantras to buy? I'm looking at the red ones from last season.

I'm 6'1", 167ish, about 45 days a year, experienced fairly aggressive skier but not a leaper, 75% off piste. Getting around in the trees is important. Mostly ski Tahoe, but planning trips to interior BC or northern Rockies, maybe Taos, and whatever I can get away with. Looking to add a wider ski. My main experience with something close to this size range has been several days renting Outlaws. Currently own Elan Magfire 12s and slalom skis.

Yes, I read the review threads. Thanks!

No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

184, I am about the same size and have skied the 184 for the past 3 seasons..great ski.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by WReX View Post

... Getting around in the trees is important. Mostly ski Tahoe, but planning trips to interior BC or northern Rockies, maybe Taos, and whatever I can get away with. Looking to add a wider ski. My main experience with something close to this size range has been several days renting Outlaws. Currently own Elan Magfire 12s and slalom skis.

Yes, I read the review threads. Thanks!
    If you get to Taos bring the 184 in case you get a powder day.

Otherwise you'll probably want something shorter for all the bumps.

3rd the 184. I've skied 184 Mantras as an everyday ski since the first year and I like em. 5'11'', 175 lbs. There have only been a few occasions where I have wanted more ski underfoot skiing here in CO. If you are skiing Tahoe, perhaps consider 183 Gots or *gasp* Katanas.

If I were in the market for any Volkl skis right now it would be the Katanas. Mantra construction, but much more ski. A friend that was a tester for freeskier said they were one of his favorite skis that he has ever been on.

im 5'10'' 165 and im on the 177's and kinda wish i went longer

go 184
    Live

I have the 184's and they are super-easy to ski. I say get the same, but knowing what length you ski now would help. If you are on short boards, a 184 might actually feel long to you.

Yup 184. Ive skied them for 3 years as my BC ski. Very easy ski to ski. Skis pow well and holds a fine edge.
    Deeppo

If you ski fast through crud, go 191. If not, well, I guess the 184s would work. Mantras have a ton of sidecut, so they turn very easily. I've officially made these my everyday resort ski. Work really well in the powder thanks to the big shovel.
    A lot of people earn their turns. Some just get bigger checks.

Anyone want to explain to me how the hell they have skied Mantras for 3 years when they have only been around for the past two seasons????

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Anyone want to explain to me how the hell they have skied Mantras for 3 years when they have only been around for the past two seasons????
    I'm pretty sure that they were available early spring in the season before the rest of the world saw them on the racks. So maybe it's more like 2.5 seasons.

Seasons all blend into one

Your right its been two seasons on the mantras.
    Deeppo

I'm about 175 lbs, and I'm on the 177, mounted tele, not alpine (if that makes a diff). Everyone here always says go long, sometimes I think it's that longer is cooler, like how everyone was skiing 205's back in the 90's. I wouldn't want the 184's, though I'm sure I'd have no trouble skiing them. The longer length, IMO, gives you more stability at speed when you can really open them up, but I have no problem with the 177 at speed, and I love how they turn easily in trees and bumps.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

same boat

I'm also 6'1" and aggressive-not-a-leaper skier. At 175lbs, and in the market for replacement ski, the Mantra184 came out on top of my list. Coming off a 190 G40, it was an easy call to go 184. I'll be mounting w/Freeride+ for PNW/BC powder focus.

Post up or PM if you spot any deals on those red 184s....

I'd probably go 184 - I have the 184s and the little twin tip makes the running length short. They turn muy rapido in the trees and bumps yet still feel stable ripping crud at speed. Mine are only about a cm longer in running length than 180 Heli Daddys (flat tail). Good do it all ski; if anything they are on the turny side in heavier snow where the sidecut really hooks up.

I'm about 170 and 6' 2".

Thanks, everyone. (You're all being so nice today, what's with that?) It seems like the 184s would suit me best. I think I should listen to advice from anyone who lives in Bozeman. And where's CH? Is that Chile? That would be cool.

As it happens, I stumbled into a smokin' deal on some porkers, so I'm looking for a ski to fill the gap between those and the Magfires. Given that, I probably don't need the maximum length in the Mantras for maximum speed, but I think 184s would suit my style more than 177s. The Magfires are 177s, which in that ski is a great length for me. I've tried the Outlaws in various lengths. 174 was definitely too short, and 181 felt just perfect. However, I could handle the 188s just fine. I feel that with a slightly beefier ski like the Mantras, the extra few centimeters would be good. The Magfires are OK in bumps, and I'm not expecting the Mantras to excel in that department.

The 184s seem to be the most in demand so no, I don't know anyone offering more than one pair right now. Other lengths, yes.

CH last year, but on the East Coast the 2 prior. I think you will love the 184.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Helvetia! Cooler still.

I think the recommendations for 184 are appropriate for ya.

I ski the 177. But I am only 5' 4" and physics lends itself to me skiing a slightly shorter length than the 184. I have had no tip dive, squirrelliness or any of the other problems others have experienced. But then I am not 6 feet tall.

I think the recommendations for 184 are appropriate for ya.

I ski the 177. But I am only 5' 4" and physics lends itself to me skiing a slightly shorter length than the 184. I have had no tip dive, squirrelliness or any of the other problems others have experienced. But then I am not 6 feet tall.

although i'm still a sub-100 post jong and therefore my opinion means nothing, but i will 7th (or is it 8th by now?) the 184. i'm only about a hair and a beer gut bigger than you and i wouldn't even consider the 177

184 is the size for you.

I am 5'5 140lbs and ski the 177.

I'M 5' 9 175 and have had the black 191's for the last couple of seasons. Live and ski CO (mostly Vail- Aspen). Great ski to go fast on at Vail, probably not the right size for Aspen (unless staying in Highlands bowl). Love the skis, but new Kantana's on the list now.
    Repoman

Yes, 184. Sounds like the Magfire witll be your everyday hard pack ski. So, you'll want a little extra girth and length for your powder/soft snow ski. IF you plan to ride the Mantra everyday, in bumps, you may want to consider the 177 - if that is the legth you are used to. But - I'd suggest variety in the quiver.

Have you thought of going wider/bigger? When I was in the market last year for my powder sticks, I started with the Mantra and loved it. But as I demo'd more, I discovered I really prefered more girth. In fact, my everyday ski now is 104 under foot, and my powder plank 110. The difference is 12cm in length.

Oh, 5'9", 185lbs, Tahoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I'd suggest variety in the quiver. Have you thought of going wider/bigger?
    BWAAHAHAHAHA! Is 109 enough?
    Last edited by WReX; 09-29-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: I'm a JONG.