Buying a car in Michigan - fly & drive or ship???

I'm a knat's ass away from pulling the trigger on a Subaru Legacy GT LTD. The car is located in Michigan (near Detroit) and I am not . . . . so here's my dilemma:

Do I fly to Detroit and drive the car home? A proposition of about $500 and many hours. And, conceivably, a good time.

or

Do I have the car shipped? If you recommend shipping, can you also suggest a reliable shipping company?
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Road tripping is always preferable if you have the time to spare. The longer and more circuitous, the better.

leggy GT's are so sweet. what dealership are you going through?
    nice choice, enjoy it.
    and I would drive the bish home.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3centshort View Post
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.

Fuck driving from MI to UT. Iowa and Nebraska are boring as hell. Sorry no rec on the shipping company. Sweet car, we have the Outback 2.5 T and it is fun as hell to drive.

If you're buying from a dealer then the dealer can ship for a lot less than you.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Might check into those 'driveaway' companies. Like http://www.driveaway.com/
    Let somebody else drive it back for ya.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Drive it home.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Just recently used Dependable Auto Shippers http://www.dasautoshippers.com/why_das.html

cost under $1000 to ship car from my home in NJ to SLC to a local drop shop....if you do door to door its more money thats all...

They did what they said they'd do is all I can say. I investigated other options and this was easiest/cheapest.

Good luck....legacy gt's are cool...

M

News Flash!

I found the same car in Ft. Collins. The Colorado car has a few more miles, but it's also a few less dollars. They're both red, but the Coloarado car has tan leather instead of black. I like the tan leather, yes, I do.

A $49 dollar flight on Southwest and an easy drive home makes the Michigan car look a bit silly by comparison.
    Thanks for the input.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Pretty looking car, that's for sure.