1977 Toyota truck 20r engine

I recently bought an old RV built on a 1977 Toyota truck.

Anybody have much experience with these old trucks?

There is tons of room under the hood to do work so I'd like to take care of most of the mechanical myself. It seems to be running pretty well, but needs a little help. I plan to change the oil & filter, fuel filter, air filter, and flush the tranny & coolant. I'll be treating the fuel system with Sea Foam and doing the Sea Foam Deep Creep in the intake. Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor for this rig should be reasonably priced so I'll do those. I'll also change any belts and hoses that do not require a lot of taking apart.

All of that is my standard mechanical makeover for a used car. Does anybody have thoughts on what else I should do? Any recommendations for particular parts preferences or things to look out for in these processes?

I have never worked on a car with a carburetor before - anything in particular I should look out for?
    another Handsome Boy graduate

yotatech.com is your friend, more specifically this page: http://www.yotatech.com/f114/
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

look for sticking needles in the carb. esp if it has been sitting for a while (as an rv is likely to have done). look for varnish (old gas) in the carb. not sure if you can get a carb kit for that thing anymore, but check around. rebuilds are really pretty easy.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

great suggestions, thanks.

The Yotatech site is great.

Adjust the valves - easy to do on the 20R. Definitely flush the radiator - that engine is working pretty hard pulling an RV. Do the differential fluid along with everything else. Clean the intake.

I don't know if I'd SeaFoam it - if the carb hasn't been rebuilt, that stuff won't be good for the seals.

Those early Toyotas are rust-prone. If you plan on keeping it awhile, check under the floorboards (pull up the carpet), behind the seat where the body mount is - and under the air intake vents above the hood.

Snoseal the roof on the RV - always a good precaution. If it has the single rear tires, keep an eye on them - the rear axle is overloaded. You have to be a little cautious with the duallies, too.

Man, that's all I can think of. The 20R is about the most bullet-proof engine ever made. Have fun with that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I don't know if I'd SeaFoam it - if the carb hasn't been rebuilt, that stuff won't be good for the seals.
    \.
    haven't heard this warning about Seafoam before. Any suggestions on what to look for to help me decide whether or not to SeaFoam it? I love what SeaFoam has done for my other Toyota engines (4YE, 22R, Lexus V6), but those are all EFI.