FS: Sweet Low-Pro Hyde Drift Boat

I hate to do it, but I am selling my custom Hyde low-profile drift boat and trailer, fully loaded. Comes with Cataract composite oars, anchor, life jackets, and all the fixin's you need for fall fishing. Plus, it has a one-of-a-kind custom factory camo paint job, so it's good for hunting as well. This is a pro staff boat (I used to be a guide), is in great shape, and is set up ideally for serious western river fishing. Dry box rower bench, dry bow storage. Looking for $5500 but will take offers. $6000 and you can have a Honda 4-stroke 2hp motor too. Boat is in Jackson Hole, available immediately.
    “If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet.”

Nice boat! Too bad my Wife won't let me get another.

Would you take a 1995 Subaru Impreza with only 160K miles on it in an even trade?

In 2nd thought, I'll give you my Wife's car as a trade. ???

Bumping...it's still for sale.

$5000 for the boat and trailer, $5500 gets the motor too.
    “If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet.”

Man, I'd love to get it if I had the money right now.

My dad and my uncle share a Clacka, but my uncle doesn't use it very often (my dad uses it 90% of the time, and he lives overseas ). Anyway, I am thinking in the near future I may buy my uncles half of it and share it with my dad - especially since he and I are usually using it together anyway.

Related question - how did you guys learn to row/navigate a drift boat? Trial and error? Learn from a friend? I was thinking I would like to take some kind of class on the subject someday. I think my local shop/guide service does classes on it, but it may be expensive.

I learned from a couple of buddies...one was a fishing guide, the other a whitewater guide. Learning from them turned me into a guide... I wouldn't suggest learning on a hard boat by trial and error on big, fast moving western water. Especially if the rivers you are floating have a lot of snags/stingers! We see quite a few boats sink to the bottom of the Snake and South Fork every year...many are brand new. It ain't rocket science but it takes some practice to safely navigate a big river. Then comes the learning how to row so people catch fish part.......

I'll be happy to give you a lesson if you and the fam are still heading up this way in July.

Yeah - I know how to row a boat - it is the navigating the river and the guiding the fishermen part I would like to learn. I rowed a large pontoon down the North Platte on a solo mission before, but a pontoon is easier to navigate and the pontoons handle hitting rocks a bit easier.

For the most part I will be piloting the Clacka in the Platte down from Gray Reef to Casper, but we may also be taking it into the Snake, Green and Wind River/Big Horn from time to time.

I'll PM you about my Driggs trip...

i grew up doing stupid shit in rivers (class IV in an innertube for instance) and also whitewater canoeing. then in college i rowed crew. i pretty much just watched other people row and how their rowing affected my fishing and took to it pretty easily.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Then comes the learning how to row so people catch fish part.......
    one of my favorite moments rowing was spotting a rising fish down stream in some light rapids. i saw the fish, pointed it out to the guy in the bow. i was able to get him into position where he had to make one tough cast to get the fish, he made the cast perfectly and boated a nice bow. turning fly fishing into a team sport was a pretty cool feeling.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin