Thread: Cork Footbeds?

Cork Footbeds?

Pros/Cons? I've got Superfeet cork footbeds right now, but someone told me that they fill up the boot too much? I've got some new Salomons and they are pretty snug, and the Superfeet make them even tighter. Should I get a thinner custom footbed, or just use these until the boot packs out? The superfeet also have a solid arch support as opposed to newer footbeds with fexible arch support. Is one better than the other? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Follow this link - you may find this helpful. I posted several links within this thread you should check out.

Custom Footbeds
    Last edited by KQ; 10-09-2003 at 10:42 AM.

Depends on what kind of foot you have apparently. Cork footbeds last forever and are good for certain types of feet. I have a HUGE arch and a HUGE instep, and very flexible feet (i can point my toes straight up, almost perpendicular to the ground). I found my cork footbeds were great, once they were appropriately fixed. They took several 'drafts' to get it right.

cork footbeds?

they rock! probably single biggest improvement to my skiing that can be attributed to gear was footbeds and heel lifts.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

what I was told was that a custom footbed doesnt fill up a boot, only the negative space in the boot
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Originally posted by SummitCo 1776
    what I was told was that a custom footbed doesnt fill up a boot, only the negative space in the boot
    Huh?

As opposed to filling the positive space?

Yes.
    Dude... stop and think for a minute.

Fills up the space that should be and not what shouldnt be... ie... fills in the appropriate shape under your food to have your foot in right shap and supported. IE a footbed should never squish your foot, just make it snug.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Thanks guys. I guess I might ski a day or two without the cork footbeds to pack out the liners a bit and then put 'em in. They worked really well in my last boots. I think the bootfitter was just trying to upsell me. The footbeds he was trying to sell were plastic and a little thinner.

Originally posted by SummitCo 1776
    Yes.
    Dude... stop and think for a minute.

Fills up the space that should be and not what shouldnt be... ie... fills in the appropriate shape under your food to have your foot in right shap and supported. IE a footbed should never squish your foot, just make it snug.
    Yeah, I got the concept, it's just that sometimes your posts are all DINMSed out.

Stop and think is a good rule, another is to read your post out loud to yourself and see if sounds like Balki Bartokomous. Give it a shot!

Cork footbeds last almost forever - that is, if they start to stink or fill up TOO much of your foot's liner. You know that almost all liners pack out (even Intuition), so if they start to pack out (that is, if you don't have a race plug boot), give your footbeds time.

I know people who have used their cork footbeds in different sort of ski boots, so I wouldn't let a sander near the bottom of the cork footbed. If your boots still hurt after the liners have packed out, take your boots to the shop where you bought your footbeds and get them to look at it. Possibly shaving a cork footbed might be required, particularly in the toebox.

I'm of two minds about installing a heel lift - it might allow your instep and your toes more space, but high-performance ski boots nowadays have enough forward lean, you don't want to be more forward. Installing a heel lift throws everything that you bought your ski boot for out of whack. It's up to you.

My answer is easy.

Daleboot, they design the shell around your foot with the corkbed in mind which results in a perfect fit, even for my frankenfeet! However on regular ski boots custom footbeds almost always put my foot to high in the boot resulting in top of the foot pain even after having the bottom buckles removed, again frakenfeet. If you can get them adjusted to where you don't have pain with the footbeds then keep them, if they cause you physical pain try something else.
    I.Q.=36

I think a semi-weighted bed is the best, not to mention I found the cork to be super cold...just my 2 cents.

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission

Nice work on the 4 year old thread bump.....

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    Nice work on the 4 year old thread bump.....
    Didn't even notice that...nice.
    I.Q.=36