Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

truck bed sleeping platform design

i want to build a platform for camping in my truck. i'm going to put it right at the canopy level, cause i have a tall cap. but i'm not sure how to design it to get at storage space underneath. i know you can do the droor thing, but i dont really want to take the effort to figure out where to drill through the bed for the tracks. i'd also like to make two sections, so i could have it just go 2/3rd across and then slide a bike on the remaining side. i was thinking a hinge with the last third flipping over, and then i could just rest it on top of the rim of the bed, and fold it over for storage. im a total fucking moron when it comes to building anything. what would be the best way to brace some plywood? could i just use a 2x4 to brace it, or would it bow out where i sleep? any extra feature ideas would be welcome too. thanks for any ideas.

search the powdermag message board for some advice
    Elvis has left the building

alright i did my own research. if anyones interested this is pretty much the info i was looking for. http://www.swaygogear.com/articles/t...g/default.html

Quote Originally Posted by lameduck View Post
    i want to build a platform for camping in my truck. i'm going to put it right at the canopy level, cause i have a tall cap. but i'm not sure how to design it to get at storage space underneath. i know you can do the droor thing, but i dont really want to take the effort to figure out where to drill through the bed for the tracks. i'd also like to make two sections, so i could have it just go 2/3rd across and then slide a bike on the remaining side. i was thinking a hinge with the last third flipping over, and then i could just rest it on top of the rim of the bed, and fold it over for storage. im a total fucking moron when it comes to building anything. what would be the best way to brace some plywood? could i just use a 2x4 to brace it, or would it bow out where i sleep? any extra feature ideas would be welcome too. thanks for any ideas.
    Damn there was an EXCELLENT design for this in a recent backpacker magazine. I'll see if I can dig it up and scan it for you....

Im sure though that someone here will have some great ideas....there are some VERY handy people on here.

M

I had this setup for 5 years in my Tundra. I went with the easy construction design. 5 2x4s laying across the rails of the camper shell, then I just cut plywood to fit and screwed it onto the 2x4s. It was plenty strong for two of us sleeping on it. I put all my gear in Rubbermaid bins under the platform, then just used my ski pole with whippet (the kind from Black Diamond, not from a whip cream can) to grab stuff and pull it out. Not quite as fancy as the having it hinged, but my way is way easier to build, and gives you more storage space underneath (you dont need extra 2x4s underneath for support)

http://www.bajataco.com/Camper1.html

This was in a thread about 6 months ago here.

There's this 'search' thingy that would have found it even faster than me!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    http://www.bajataco.com/Camper1.html

This was in a thread about 6 months ago here.

There's this 'search' thingy that would have found it even faster than me!

Thats one sweet TACO..

M

Helped another mag on here build one. All we used was one sheet of 3/4 mdf and some 2x4's. It worked out really well and was 2 pieces that interlocked so it could be taken out and put in by one person. Cheap and easy. We built it on top of the wheel wells so that 6'2"+ people can fit better.
    Look up the articles mentioned and just get some ideas and supplies and go for it. If you arent that handy get a fried to help or hire a handy man for a few hours.

I thought about putting one in mine, but I like to have the head room to sit up, get dressed etc.

you should just buy this:

If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by HikeforTurns View Post
    I thought about putting one in mine, but I like to have the head room to sit up, get dressed etc.

you should just buy this:

Id love to buy this....NICE

M

That dude packs a lot of goodies into his Tacoma. Cool website.

I built one into my 95 4Runner not too long ago. I built it a lot higher than most of you guys probably would only to be able to keep ALL camping/misc gear under the sleeping platform and not move a thing to camp. I hate packing and unpacking all the time. In order to keep the rear seats useable, mine has a removable end piece that sits nicely on the main box. I'll post picts later.

thanks for the help, i just got back in touch with the internet after a couple weeks away

Here's mine that I built for my Tundra:
    It's rather configurable with 2 top-middle panels that pull off. The only downside is the horz compression members that must sit down below...I was feeling creative with my statics problem.

I'm thinking about building one into the back of my tacoma for short trips. Probably just a couple of 2x4s and plywood over the wheel well. Should be plenty of room for skis and some other gear, with lots of room for sleeping.
    Go Sharks.

Here's mine for my Tundra. Left side hinges up for storage. Shelf comes out in winter, holds bike stuff in summer.

and don't forget the bottle opener!
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

I have an 03 Tacoma with a tall cap. I did a bunch of research...even came across a couple of the sites posted here. I ended up creating a platform (version 2) which is made of 1x2s and plywood. Took about 1 hour to make. There are 3 full-length compartments and 6 plywood panels (with foam topping) on top. The construction allows me to create many different camping scenarios by removing panels. For example, if I pull the 2 center panels, I have 2, 2 person chairs facing toward each other. Or, if I pull 3 panels lengthwise, I have a single bed and a place for my bike. One of my favorites is pulling one panel at the tail and cooking (with the window open)...works great for winter camping, as I don't even have to get out of the truck...assuming my yellow nalgene isn't full

Anyway, if you are going custom, here are a few things to consider:

1. Height. My version 1 was too high up for sitting, so made version 2 lower. I can still get most of my gear underneath (skis, boards, chains, tools), plus I can sit inside without bending my head (I'm about 6'1").

2. Weight. Light is good for obvious reasons. I think version 3 will be made with pvc for framing.

3. Portability. My wife bought a big screen tv which I had to pick up. It would not fit in the back with my platform. But, I can take mine apart in about 5 minutes to fit things in the back, and place the parts in the back.

I'd post pics, but I'm in a hotel.
    Good luck...enjoy watching your buddies pitching tents and breaking camp.
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

Quote Originally Posted by fluffballs View Post
    I'm thinking about building one into the back of my tacoma for short trips. Probably just a couple of 2x4s and plywood over the wheel well. Should be plenty of room for skis and some other gear, with lots of room for sleeping.
    That was the idea behind mine. I wanted it simple to remove, so it is 2 piece split in the middle. building it to use the wheel well as a support will maximize head room for the sleepers. skis and some gear fit below, the rest is stored in the cab when I need to use the back. A 3" mattress topper from costco makes a relatively comfy bed.

Don't forget the black out cloth to block headlights.

Curious -- for those with sleeping platforms built into the truck beds -- what bed length do you have on the truck, how tall are you, and can you sleep straight (lengthwise) with the truck, or do you have to sleep at an angle to fit?

I'm thinking about getting a pickup; would be a 6'6" bed (mfr specs, I haven't measured), and I'm 6'0" tall. Wondering if I'll fit without having to sleep diagonally.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The Tundra Access Cab bed is 74" long I believe. I'm 72.5" long. I fit without sleeping diagonally, but my toes tickle the tailgate.

Thanks b-s. I need to go test-driving and see how large of a truck monstrosity I can stand to drive in on a daily basis. I think I want a fullsize shortbed.

If I didn't ever have to park in public garages, first choice would be a 2500/3500 Dodge Ram mega cab, Cummins diesel. This is a huge truck though. It also won't fit in my house garage.

Smaller, more maneuverable, but with full size bed, and might actually fit in the house garage: new Tundra or Nissan Titan. (If I have to go with an IFS front end, I'm going foreign; no Ford/Dodge/Chevy.) Tundra is far and away my preference over the Titan though. Not sure why Nissan put a Dana 44 rear axle in that truck; it's borderline acceptable for a front axle, pathetic for a rear axle in something with that much weight and HP.

Problem with the Tundra is the price: not much less than the diesel Dodge.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

this is why I wish I hadn't gotten the double cab short bed. I would've got the double cab long bed but it didn't come in the off road package which was 1st priority. Long bed is keyt for this. Im 5'8 and can fit diagonal in my short bed but just barely. Id say 5'8 is as short as can sleep in the short bed.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    this is why I wish I hadn't gotten the double cab short bed. I would've got the double cab long bed but it didn't come in the off road package which was 1st priority. Long bed is keyt for this. Im 5'8 and can fit diagonal in my short bed but just barely. Id say 5'8 is as short as can sleep in the short bed.
    What truck do you have?

Researching this, it looks like most (if not all) fullsize trucks have shortbeds that are 6.5' long. My wife has an '05 Tacoma, double cab, shortbed -- that bed is maybe 5' long, possibly shorter. Doesn't hold much.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What truck do you have?

Researching this, it looks like most (if not all) fullsize trucks have shortbeds that are 6.5' long. My wife has an '05 Tacoma, double cab, shortbed -- that bed is maybe 5' long, possibly shorter. Doesn't hold much.
    I just got a new Tacoma Double cab short bed which has a bed that I believe 60 inches long(5 ft). The bed extender adds 18 inches. If you don't need the off road package you can get a double cab long bed Tacoma w/ the sport package if you want, but thats a LONG truck.