Built to Last- The High Quality Gear Thread

UL Praxis GPOs. Approximately 120 days and going strong. I do not baby my skis. I've had pairs that look much worse after a few days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200923_134355.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	568.2 KB 
ID:	341113

Click on the image a few times to zoom in and see the bizarre lack of topsheet chips. What have you got, skis or otherwise, that simply refuses to show signs of wear and tear?

My Protests (multiple pairs) have taken some amazingly hard hits and only had light scratches on the bases. I dont know what they make their bases out of at Praxis, but they are bombproof.

I have multiple pairs of Praxis and the above durability praise is deserved.

I also have multiple pairs of ON3P skis and they are even more durable, although it's a bit tough to directly compare because I mainly tour on my Praxis and mainly ski inbounds on my ON3Ps.

95% of my ski days over the past 10-ish years have been on one of those two brands, and I'm pretty sure I've managed less than 10 coreshots TOTAL in that time. I ski in the Rockies and make very little effort to avoid dry ground.

Honorary mention to BD Glidelite Mix skins - the glue wears out eventually, the STS tail straps break eventually, but I can recklessly skin across all manner of rock, grass, gravel, parking lots, etc. and the plush comes through just fine.

I’ve got a 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 I’ve put ~7,500 miles on over the past 9 years. Outside of chain maintenance and replacing a tube every once in a while, haven’t touched anything on it maintenance-wise...probably more lucky than built to last but I’ll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Gore-tex. Seems to almost have a monopoly on high quality shells. Yes you have to re-waterproof every once in a while but otherwise the fabric lasts darn near forever until you catch it on a sharp branch. 1000x worth the price.

RIP to Robert Gore

This thread exists:

End-Of-Life Purchases
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

But I’ll add:
    Swiss bones skate bearings
    Texas TI83 calculator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

- My 1983 Trek that I ride 150+ days a year. Props for Panaracer Pasela tires.
    - MountainSmith 70L duffle. Use it most every weekend for ski gear or camping. Used to fly a lot. Just keeps on ticking.
    - Most my Patagucci clothing, esp: Medium weight Capilene I've owned for 8 years and wear 40-50 days a year. My softshell w/ a micro fleece lining still in regular rotation for over 9 years. Running shorts with a couple thousand miles.
    - FTP gloves and mittens have 100+ days and still work great.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    - My 1983 Trek that I ride 150+ days a year. Props for Panaracer Pasela tires.
    - MountainSmith 70L duffle. Use it most every weekend for ski gear or camping. Used to fly a lot. Just keeps on ticking.
    - Most my Patagucci clothing, esp: Medium weight Capilene I've owned for 8 years and wear 40-50 days a year. My softshell w/ a micro fleece lining still in regular rotation for over 9 years. Running shorts with a couple thousand miles.
    - FTP gloves and mittens have 100+ days and still work great.
    +1 on FTP gloves

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    This thread exists:

End-Of-Life Purchases
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

But I’ll add:
    Swiss bones skate bearings
    Texas TI83 calculator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    + 1 on the bearings. If you clean em once in a while they last forever.
    27° 18°

Some original Lhasa fat kusala mixes with like 15 inserts in each ski

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I have used the same Marmot ski jacket since I bought it at STP in 2001. Anywhere between 500 and 1000 days of skiing, and no tears or wear marks anywhere.

I have a Gregory backpacking pack that I purchased in 1989.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I love lamp.

My beaker bong from boro syndicate reeks of quality

Freeride Systems Antero 2 softshell that I bought used in 2013. I've worn it for well over 400 days thrashing through the trees throughout Vermont. Except for a very small tear on a sleeve I got when plowing through a spruce thicket, it looks new.

Glad ot see ON3P mentioned early in the thread. I'd pile on with that. I bought a pair of Vicik demos nearly ten years ago that were hammered by rookie marks and they continue to hold up. I can't kill them. The various pairs of Wrenegades I've had were the same; unkillable. And I certainly tried.

Moment skis are close. While they don't resist the coreshots like ON3P does, they are burly and built to last.

For softgoods, the eponymous Kinco gloves seem to go forever, especially their price. I have some TREW mid- and baselayers that continue to hold up. Unfortunately, neither are still available. Likewise, their jackets are quite good. I'm on my third Cosmic, only giving up the previous two to sale, not to durability. The FlyLow pants have been great, fit not withstanding.

Still kicking are a pair of Scott carbon poles. The won't die. I've replaced the tips and baskets.

Outside of skiing, I snagged to Saddleback Leather bags used. Short of them atomizing in a nuclear blast; they'll be around forever. Same with a Filson duffel. The North Face basecamp duffel is also in this category.

+1 for Marmot. I have an Alpinist jacket which I'm beginning to think must have a hidden forcefield on it.

Off the track but, HP 11C calculators (saw TI 83 mentioned so, fair game...). I have two of them, one for home, one for work and they are indestructible. Very power efficient and excellent feel. They were introduced in 1981 and discontinued in 1989 for $135. The first one I got was around 1985, the second I bought used a couple of years ago for about $100. I see there are some on ebay for over $200. Nice return on investment.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 09-24-2020 at 12:47 PM.

++ ON3P

I have a pair of OG Jeronimo’s that have been through the ringer but look and ski fantastic.

Favorite ski I have owned and still my DD.
    That Don't Make No Sense

+ whatever for ON3P and Moment. My ancient Bibbys have 100s of days on them and still ski great.
    I have a pair of Patagonia Powder Bowl(?) pants that have ten seasons on them that are still going strong.

My hot-rod vomit 4FRNT Turbos have proven to be pretty much indestructible for me. Elan makes some stout skis.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    My 11 year old Mystery Ranch Naya Nuki pack (mini Saddle Peak) must be approaching ~1,000 days of over-stuffing and reckless zipper yanking without any failures or abnormal (or even normal) signs of wear. I've completely burned through two other packs (airbags) in that time.