Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Bumping this very old thread to see if anyone has updates. I'm working out how I want to do a sleeping platform in a Tacoma with a 6' bed (I'm 5'9", so length shouldn't be an issue. Any downside to just running 2 2x6s and a sheet of 3/4" plywood over the top, without any center supports? Also, seems like most of the platforms use indoor/outdoor carpeting of some sort. If I'm using a mattress topper, what's the downside of bare plywood?

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    If I'm using a mattress topper, what's the downside of bare plywood?
    sliding, maybe, if you're not parked level?

I don't think two cross rails would be sufficient. They won't break but the ply would bend all over the place. There will be times scooting in and out where all your weight is in one spot. Let alone if your girl does a couple of spin moves

I went with two 1x2 on the side rail in the topper channel, wedged between the hold downs.
    4 2x4 secured to the side rails with predrilled deck screws. You're not biting into much and if the wood splits its toasts.
    Certified sanded 3/4 on that, secured with deck screws. Sanded ply was only $10 more and there's no way you could get it that flat and nice with home tools.
    If you live in Kansas no need to screw it down but if you plan on doing any moderate forest roads your setup would fall apart and into the cargo with your bedding everywhere..

Gives a ton of cargo space, but not space to sit up.
    Can slide a big bike and large cooler under the platform.

Debating going with the two rectangles that sit lower and are then stackable to fit different cargo configurations. Would have to stand bike up and with the through axel removing it to turn the bars each time would be a chore.

There's a thread on Mountain Project about this right now. Some guy apparently lived on 3/4" plywood with no center supports in the back of his Tacoma for a few years with no issues.

https://www.mountainproject.com/foru...d-out-question

I use a 3" foam mattress on bare plywood and don't miss carpet. Bare plywood is certainly easier to clean than carpet, which is important for me since I occasionally cook on it. I guess if you have a tailgate this is less of an issue.

Assuming this is for winter use, one of your biggest enemies will be condensation. Carpet on the inside of your shell will help trap condensation to some degree, so you don't get dripped on. Carpet on the platform is probably less important.

Not sure how high your topper is, but if you're talking about running the rails from the top of the truck bed and not the top of the wheel wells, you won't have much head room with a standard height topper. And I agree with rideski, you need more rails. And even with more rails, without any center support you may have some sag. Edit: just read that mountain project thread. Sounds like 3/4" may be thick enough, I had 1/2".

oh, and I did use some carpet like stuff, was necessary for the dog. Without a dog, no need.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah sleeping flat is comfortable but being able to sit up would be nice, plus mine is a f150 with a topper that raises up another several inches above the cab. Side rails with a flat Tacoma type topper would be prett claustrophobic for me. I'd go with the rectangles for sure then. I threw this one together in a day to go do a big camp trip with fam.

Cab-high topper, looking at running the crossbars at wheel-well height, not bed-height. Seems like a center support would be necessary if I wanted to add removable panels or less than 3/4" plywood. But per mountainproject guy and a couple others on tacomaworld, seems like 3/4" plus big enough cross bars could be a straightfoward solution with 3 pieces of wood all-in.

Also, agree re condensation; sounds like a carpet lining for the topper is pretty much a must-add for winter camping.

Just did all this in July for a month long August road trip. I made plywood boxes instead of running 2x whatever across with plywood on top. No sag. I also bought an RV mattress from Home Depot or Walmart for $110, made the sleeping soooo comfortable. I made the boxes to fit the bins, 3 deep, and tied a rope around the deepest bin to get it out. I also cut out little secret compartments behind the wheel wells where I could stash items not used much.

This is a pic I found online and what I was shooting for, but with some modifications to fit my bins, coolers, etc.

I made two separate boxes with a hinged middle. I figured I could stash a bike in the middle if I wanted, and the 2 pieces are easy to get in and out of the truck by myself. And easy to store in the garage.

This is what I ended up with

The awning was a last minute impulse buy, and one of the best purchases. Saved the trip several times.

One thing I would’ve changed is lower the whole platform and use bins that aren’t as tall. There’s nothing like waking up at 3 am having to take a leak and feeling claustrophobic. You could sit up, but just barely.

Another cool thing my wife made was she sewed Velcro to a screen, so we could leave the back of the cap open at night if it was hot, the headliner of the cap works as one side of the Velcro.

Overall we spent 23 nights sleeping in the truck ( my kids slept in a tent ) . Went to 7 national parks and tons of state parks.

That just ate up a good part of my work day too, so, thanks!

that thing looks sweet!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I used 3/4" plywood and three 2x6s in the back of a 2005 tundra. Worked great. No sag in the plywood and I think two 2x6s would have been fine.

I really love the setup right above this post!

Seth

Bumping this very old thread to see if anyone has updates. I'm working out how I want to do a sleeping platform in a Tacoma with a 6' bed (I'm 5'9", so length shouldn't be an issue. Any downside to just running 2 2x6s and a sheet of 3/4" plywood over the top, without any center supports? Also, seems like most of the platforms use indoor/outdoor carpeting of some sort. If I'm using a mattress topper, what's the downside of bare plywood?
    That's exactly the set up I have. Plywood split into half along center line and covered in cheap indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Despot.

Don't use it to sleep on though just to make shelf/load platform above skis.

If I was going to sleep on it I think I'd want some extra structure in there. Also the cut outs in the bed sides actually need something thinner than a 2x6 I notched 2x6 to fit
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

That's a really cool setup!

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    The awning was a last minute impulse buy, and one of the best purchases. Saved the trip several times.
    Have been thinking hard about an awning for my car (Volvo XC70); seems like the normal rack-mounted variety would be super low though, and the only rear hatch awnings I've seen are huge. I think it would be very nice to have an awning for car camping in the rain/snow, though. Anyone seen or made an awning that works well with smaller cars?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Also the cut outs in the bed sides actually need something thinner than a 2x6 I notched 2x6 to fit
    I've seen a couple of people say the same thing. I can't quite imagine the thought process that made them decide to make the notches in a size accepting anything other than standard lumber.

I've seen a couple of people say the same thing. I can't quite imagine the thought process that made them decide to make the notches in a size accepting anything other than standard lumber.
    Metric system?

Maybe. Know anybody selling metric lumber?

Canadia sells 2x4’s? Never thought of that before....

It was a joke.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes I was riffing on your joke. As far as I know dimensional lumber is basically sold in imperial measurements worldwide. (See also: can you go to the store and get me a pint of headlight fluid?).

On the topic at hand, a liftable section for coolers and the like would kind of come in handy. Seems like that would require a center support of some type or another.

I have the same setup as PNW Brit. It works fine. I sleep on it, drive fast on bumpy roads with and without weight on the platform, no issue. It's easy to take in and out. Downside is not very much height underneath. I also think running it with one half of the plywood on top of the other- to make space for ice chest and whatnot, it probably would bounce apart

I planed down some 2x6's and cut them to width to fit perfectly in the factory notches in my Tacoma. 1/2 sanded ply with a seam about twelve inches from one side of the bed with outdoor carpet on top. The carpet spans across both pieces of ply and acts as a hinge for taking the ply in and out, or if I need access to something below while I'm sleeping. Super simple setup and takes all of 30 seconds to put in when I need it. It lives in my truck unless I need to put something in the bed that requires it being removed. I like have the separate compartment to put stuff and I've found it makes the bed much more roomy for gear.

Also, I have almost zero sag with the 1/2 ply with my fat ass in there. Even with the occasional plus sized female.

Paco pad for the win. Easy to clean and comfortable as fuck. Sort of expensive, but they last forever.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Bumping this up. So many different unique designs. Gonna re-do my setup in a 6.5" bed Tundra. I am gonna go with a very low platform for increased headroom. I may end up using an actual queen sized mattress. I have an extra memory foam one. Would still like to attempt some type of rolling drawers. I like the drawer with the camp stove right in it like Cody has in his rig (see his truck video from Fifty Project). Possibly gonna sleep in this thing full time June/July/Aug/Sept to save money. Insane, I know.

3/4" ply is fine and won't sag without center support. I used threaded pipe with flanges screwed onto the plywood for the vertical corner posts. Cover with cheap indoor/outdoor carpeting for splinter protection and comfort. Staple gun it down after wrapping around the edges on the underside. I was going to build rolling drawers under the platform but found Tupperware totes work well for me and my gear.

On another note... a good chuck box for a camp kitchen is essential to quality of experience IMHO and a fascinating design experiment unto itself. I love seeing people's camping kitchen setups when traveling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4191.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	923.1 KB 
ID:	327236  

I'm not sure I'd recommend it for living in your truck, but if your truck bed is multi-use, hauling stuff but also a sleeping platform every other weekend, the Truck paco pad is awesome. I managed to find one used, and it's great to have a pad that just lives in the truck, covers almost the entire platform, and is waterproof and durable so I don't have to pay attention to what I throw on it. Comfy too.

This one: https://www.jpwinc.com/product/truck...v=89d269ea9f2e

I've had a Decked system with drawers, homemade drawers and platform, 2x4s across with 3/4" on top, and a welded frame platform in the back of trucks. What I've found over 20 years of platforms, is simple is nice so I made this. It's 3/4" ply with angles that bolt to the bed rail system and 2x4 legs that hinge out of the way. I can take it out of the truck in <5 minutes, the legs fold and it will ride without the support if I want to put something large and flat in the bed. A single paco fits perfect and I can open the side window and side pee if I don't want to get out in the middle of the night.

I can have coolers, chuck boxes, a bike, whatever on the open side. I can sit up and put my boots on comfortably and I can sit on low chair on the open side and hang out if it's raining. Lady C can sleep on a cot on the open side if she ever wants to go. I normally put carpet on a shelf but did spar varnish on this one. I can open the side window and use it as a counter top. I have some webbing under the platform for two layers of skis if needed. I also measured the support leg spacing so my different coolers and boxes can fit under the platform.

I cut out bubble insulation that fits in the windows to black out the back if I want to camp when cold or urban where I don't want light showing.

Some things to think about in your design. The cool thing is, you can make it whatever you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7208.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	558.5 KB 
ID:	327344  

I sold my truck a couple years ago but I was also definitely on the KISS train. After a couple different platform designs I was cruising thru sams club one spring stocking up for a drive to Alaska, found a cot like this, layed down on it, and threw my old platform design in the garbage that afternoon. So comfortable, could still store items underneath and also easily removable, which was always big for me since I still liked to use my truck like a truck.

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/ventu...ey-262043.html