another torn medial meniscus

So I have the classic bucket handle tear of my medial meniscus, it's displaced and I'm scheduled for surgery in a few weeks (following the results of my MRI a few days ago). I'm generally OK with everything (had this done once years ago before my ACL surgeries), but what I'm really wondering is how stupid would it be, assuming the knee is feeling basically fine and the swelling is gone, to play hockey with my knee like this? Ultimately stupid, or just very slightly stupid? Very slightly stupid I can live with, but if it's incredibly stupid I'll just wait until I'm cleared to do stuff after the surgery.
    Glad this happened in August, too.
    [quote][//quote]

Well, I'm certainly no doctor, so take this how you will. I had my bucket-handle tear removed in March, and I kept active up until the morning of my surgery. That includes working as a backpacking guide for the 8 months prior and skiing 100+ days, all with the knowledge of my injury. So, stupid? Maybe just not smart. My surgeon, as I remember, told me that I was fine to do what I wanted; that the knee would let me know when it had had enough...

Anyway, I say you play.

I am retarded--not just regular retarded, wicked retahded

I can now say that the correct answer is officially: NO. Depressingly, I'd already heard that from one person I should've listened to, but didn't. More depressingly, being the idiot that I am, after I felt really good during warmups and then started to skate hard, I felt the meniscus go out (or slightly pop) again, and after resting decided to keep playing because we were short players. I'm paying for that bit of retarded thinking now as I'm back to hobbling around and full-time icing. Can't even take ibuprofen because of the impending surgery--and tylenol does nothing!
    [quote][//quote]

file under......DUH!!! SOrry Dex had to say it. Good luck with surgery though.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I can now say that the correct answer is officially: NO. Depressingly, I'd already heard that from one person I should've listened to, but didn't. More depressingly, being the idiot that I am, after I felt really good during warmups and then started to skate hard, I felt the meniscus go out (or slightly pop) again, and after resting decided to keep playing because we were short players. I'm paying for that bit of retarded thinking now as I'm back to hobbling around and full-time icing. Can't even take ibuprofen because of the impending surgery--and tylenol does nothing!
    Sorry to hear about that incident.
    I take it you've had your surgery

I just had an MRI - also for a likely meniscal tear...my retarded move was aggressive downtrail running back in late september - and bashing my remaining good knee.
    i hiked/skiied general stark's (MRG) this past saturday - took it easy - but the knee responded badly, prompting medical attention.

am curious to hear how your recovery is going...
    and once i see the doc again tuesday, will likely have some more specific questions for you.
    hope you're healing well and speedily!

Meniscus is a non-issue, except that I only have about half the medial tissue left in the knee. Problem is that it turned out the ACL (already once reconstructed) had been destroyed, too. Currently trying to make it through the winter with (relatively) conservative skiing and headed for spring surgery.
    Sucks.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Meniscus is a non-issue, except that I only have about half the medial tissue left in the knee. Problem is that it turned out the ACL (already once reconstructed) had been destroyed, too. Currently trying to make it through the winter with (relatively) conservative skiing and headed for spring surgery.
    Sucks.
    damn! sorry to hear that, but good that you can at least get out there, if not at 100%.
    ski smoothly and stay healthy for the spring repair.
    i'm currently preparing for the possiblity of surgery+rehabbing for a few months just as the snow is flying!