Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Buying the farm...need a tractor...

I know this is a stretch but you all are such a diverse group of ppl I thought perhaps....maybe...someone here could lend me their .02 worth.

Just now starting to look - been to one dealer so far and of course I've seen what other ppl in the industry use. Talked to my friend who owns the stable where I keep my horse (she uses a small one to mow and drag the arenas).

So what do you say, anyone here have good news/bad news re: John Deere vs. Kubota tractors?

Looking at the M series (narrow) in the Kubota or the John Deere 5025 narrow series. Will need to run a bush hog, sprayer and fork attachment. Some hillside some bottom land (20 acres total).
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

KQ, I have no advice on a tractor.

BUT:
    Never, ever say that you 'bought the farm'.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I think I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    KQ, I have no advice on a tractor.

BUT:
    Never, ever say that you 'bought the farm'.
    Dammit - I'm serious! I know it sounds crazy but you know...I've reached that breaking point and it is WAY past time I made tracks to my next endeavor in life.

P.S. How else am I supposed to say I bought a farm?

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    I think I love you.
    Well aren't you cute?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

The six-inch model John Deere tractor I bought at their factory six or seven years ago has held up nicely. Good quality parts, wheels still turn, has survived the attentions of a 3-year old. So ... there's my .02

Quote Originally Posted by akrdubbs View Post
    The six-inch model John Deere tractor I bought at their factory six or seven years ago has held up nicely. Good quality parts, wheels still turn, has survived the attentions of a 3-year old. So ... there's my .02
    LOL!!! Those are soooo cute but I'm afraid won't hoe my row.

I have a GF who has a JD belly button ring.

My dad has a pretty big 4wd New Holland, open cab, w/ large loader.

He uses it mostly to mow Alfalfa fields, and pull large trees around with chains. You know, typical red neck stuff.

Its a beast though, don't know how much power you are looking for, but his New Holland seems totally bomber.

Good on ya KQ! But I hope there's some pinot noir being planted.

My in-laws have a full size ford circa 1963. It's a tank.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

The last time I drove a tractor was in 1972, so I have nothing of substance to offer, other than bush hogs are excellent for creating mini-bike trails in the woods.

good times, good times.

My John Deere trimmer just bought the farm.

It mean't I couldn't do yard work. That's a brilliant and un-tapped business model. I'm going to buy JD stock.

The Kubota dealership in Issaquah are supposed to be really good folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Good on ya KQ! But I hope there's some pinot noir being planted.

My in-laws have a full size ford circa 1963. It's a tank.
    Probably will buy something with some hours on it just to get the price down. Also planning on buying in Oregon to save on tax.

Bought in Walla Walla not Willamette so it will probably be more along the lines of Syrah, Cab Franc, Cab Sauv and Merlot.

Quote Originally Posted by jibij View Post
    The last time I drove a tractor was in 1972, so I have nothing of substance to offer, other than bush hogs are excellent for creating mini-bike trails in the woods.

good times, good times.
    Sounds like good times but this be wheat country and there ain't many woods to speak of unless you head south east to the Blues.

I grew up on a farm and have driven many tractors. My family was partial to John Deere and Ford and had good success with both. Kobota is a brand that I remember, but it seems like that began being sold in the states within my lifetime. If I had my choice, it would be John Deere, although I have been out of the loop for well over 15 years.

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    LOL!!! Those are soooo cute but I'm afraid won't hoe my row.
    say that to all the boys you do.....

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post

Whoa! Frickin' sweet - thanks man!

Very excited....feels like there is light at the end of the tunnel now (a tunnel that before seemed way too long with the wrong kind of light coming from the other end). Can hardly believe my dream is within reach.

The coolest thing is the calm that has come over me - it just feels so right. I no longer fret work or sweat other ppls issues/problems. The sense of freedom and purpose (mine - not someone elses) is intoxicating.

John Deere is especially proud of their green paint and it shows in the price for anything with that on it. They may have the best name out there, but the cost is way overboard I think.

For instance, a few years ago my neighbor and partner in B&T (Bill & Tom... or "Big Time" as the neighbors joked cuz we only had a couple pairs) cattle company broke a simple part on the front end axle section. The part was nothing more than a steel billet 2"x2"x about 18" with a hole drilled in it, and of corse painted the infamous JD green. Price at JD dealer was close to $200. So he came and saw me (machinist) and I made him a new one sans paint for 20-30 bucks.

just sayin as the sayin goes.

It wasn't too long ago that most farm tractors were only like 25 - 40 horse power but now everybody is upgrading to 125-150 or more for the bigger equipment they're running (think 3x3 & 4x4 balers and such) so there may be a good market for the old "smaller" stuff in the used world... course with all the sub-divided "horse property" ranchettes now a days maybe not.

I'd look into hitting up a farm or heavy equipment auction.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    say that to all the boys you do.....

(I think this has got to be a record for picking up on such an easy toss)

My Dad has an Oliver at my parents horse farm. Not sure what model, but it is pretty damn big and he loves the thing. He has a bunch of attachments for it- he puts a huge plow on it and plows his road in the winter and runs a bush hog among many other things. If you are interested in what model tractor/bush hog he has, I'd be happy to call him and ask what advice he could give you.

My pops has a Kubota for his property and that thing is super sweet. He had (and still has) a bush hog for it (too bad you don't live closer, it is for sale). Good for plowing, has a bucket for moving dirt and digging, super duper powerful (pulled a sank car out of a pond). Thing is an all around work horse. We built a log home a few years back, and that tractor had no problem pulling stumps, hauling a couple tons in logs....

And it's orange.

Do you have any thongs in John Deere green?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

How long before the 'looking for hired hand' post goes up?

i live on 45 acres and got a new John Deere 2320 last year, we have lots of trees so i like it cause its tiny, can fit anywhere and could mow your entire 20acers in 2-3 days.

i dont see a need for a big 5000 series on somthing as small as you have, unless time is a real issue.

look at hydrostatic drive, way better in my opinion than the normal gear shifter.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Whoa! Frickin' sweet - thanks man!

Very excited....feels like there is light at the end of the tunnel now (a tunnel that before seemed way too long with the wrong kind of light coming from the other end). Can hardly believe my dream is within reach.

The coolest thing is the calm that has come over me - it just feels so right. I no longer fret work or sweat other ppls issues/problems. The sense of freedom and purpose (mine - not someone elses) is intoxicating.
    My bet is they'll be more open to recipe posting then some here have been. Of course any recipes posted there better be cross posted here.

Did you pick up the farm from bankruptcy proceedings you were involved in?
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Tractors rule! Check out tractorbynetfor an online tractor community.

I have owned a couple of Kubotas over the past 10+ years. I currently have a Kubota L3410 which has been bulletproof. As far as I can remember, nothing has broken and it's never failed to start. They're not the best price/HP, but I've been very happy with mine.

I switched from a brush hog to a flail mower a few years back and would never go back. They make a finer cut, deal better with rocks, and will still chop up some pretty heavy duty brush.

The other thing you should consider is getting some kind of quick-attach system. I use the one from ATI. You can swap between bucket/fork/whatever in just a minute or so. I usually take the bucket off when I'm mowing so I can see better.

Edit to second the hydrostatic transmission recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Tractors rule! Check out tractorbynetfor an online tractor community.

I have owned a couple of Kubotas over the past 10+ years. I currently have a Kubota L3410 which has been bulletproof. As far as I can remember, nothing has broken and it's never failed to start. They're not the best price/HP, but I've been very happy with mine.

I switched from a brush hog to a flail mower a few years back and would never go back. They make a finer cut, deal better with rocks, and will still chop up some pretty heavy duty brush.

The other thing you should consider is getting some kind of quick-attach system. I use the one from ATI. You can swap between bucket/fork/whatever in just a minute or so. I usually take the bucket off when I'm mowing so I can see better.

Edit to second the hydrostatic transmission recommendation.
    TGR should make some extreme tractor movies.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.