Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thumbs down Cancer Is Not the Tits

Cancer is so not the tits. I don't mean to make light of it by any means, but is there anything as just plain bush as cancer? Seriously. It seems to systematically pick the good people I know, never the bad people. Why is that? Does anyone else find that very strange?

I'm going to find this Cancer guy and ring his balls.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Cancer sucks big hairy moose balls. That's what I think.

I was just thinking the same thought as I realized 3 of the top threads were about maggots with cancer. BOOOOOOOOO.
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Word.

I've mentioned my father-in-law elsewhere, but it's still a crazy thing to wrap my mind around that he's got something growing in his brain, that he can't see or feel, that will most likely, almost inevitably kill him within a year.

Three years ago he was planning on watching his grandkids grow up.

Two years ago he had a tumor removed surgically, and thought he'd kicked it (at least for the next 10 years or so).

A couple months ago he found out that he wouldn't see his youngest daughter graduate from HS.

Dude's 45 years old. I can't even imagine being in his shoes.
    Last edited by focus; 08-02-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Cancer is the biggest fear I have in life. It got my wifes aunt and a few friends. Cancer is fucking ghey, and I hope someone figures out cure in our lifetimes.
    Bush got C's.... Obama probably failed lunch

It is just a part of life and death.

If it isn't cancer killing people it's old age, car wrecks, aids, superflu or whatever.

It's certainly a trial for those going through it but nobody makes it out of life alive.

I'm not trying to be flippant either, it's big necessary mojo.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post

If it isn't cancer killing people it's old age, car wrecks, aids, superflu or whatever.

It's certainly a trial for those going through it but nobody makes it out of life alive.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I lost a good friend to cancer 7 years ago this month. He left behind a wife and young son. Now my wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer. This absolutely scares the shit out me. However, WSD's thread is truly an inspiration that we can kick cancers ass. My wife has a wonderful attitude right now and I will support her throughout. I think I will reward her with a trip to Utah this winter.

It sucks, plain and simple. Though it does make me believe in somewhat of a higher power, as those that seem to get it most are those who've already learned to live happy, fulfilling lives. Not fair though.

I just had a friend pass this last thursday to cancer...I've got another really close friend (like a brother) just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The diagnoses has been confirmed twice and just this last week (oddly enough, last thursday) the prognosis is 2-4 months.

Neither one deserved it.

Sometimes I think life just plain sucks! You work your ass off to get somewhere, sacrifice, save money, work, help out your fellow mankind, do volunteer work, put off that dream vacation, etc, then you get handed a death sentence.

This kind of stuff actually confirms my belief that there isn't some supreme, all good, all mighty higher power...Good people who've done nothing but put others ahead of themselves get snuffed out in their prime. Then there's the murder/rapist sittin' in prison for 70 years....NOT fair at all!
    Last edited by memosteve; 08-02-2007 at 11:46 AM.

It's the death sentence memosteve mentions, and the often long hard brutal fight before it finally takes you, that makes cancer so nasty.

I did not want to hijack WSD's thread, but I would like to say some thing to the ladies out there about breast cancer. I know what a scary disease it is, ranks right up there with prostate cancer for us men. My wife has a family history of breast cancer, so we are ever diligent (I feel her boobs often ), but if the need ever arises where she would need to loose a boob or two, I firmly believe I would not love her any less, and she has a nice set. We have discussed this a few times. I don't want her to EVER feel she has any fear of me loving her less because of such a tragedy. I hope all maggots support there maggettes in such a way, and that no maggette ever has to go through such a ordeal, but if the do I sincerely hope they have the full support and love of their spouse or significant other.

Maggettes and boobs rule!!!!!

totally agree with both ^^..sudden death while terrible doesn't present your family and friends the time to reflect upon your death while you are living. Cancer is just that special mind fuck...you are going to die/could very easily die - here's the timeline- now go live till then. That's a killer. You have to live while counting the days till you die. I guess this could also be a blessing in that you have time to say goodbye but I'm not so sure about that.

And I tell my GF who has breast cancer history in her family- get those fuckers removed at the slightest concern. Not worth dying over boobs.

My friends Mother, who I grew up across the street from and was my mom's best friend, died of cancer about a month ago. She had that shit for 8 years and was always smiles, laughs and hugs when you'd see her, despite losing hair and ending up with crutches in the last year or so. They were a simple family, never had much money, maybe went to florida once for vacation, otherwise a week at a lake cabin once a summer.

This lady was pure gold and it would've made her whole life to see my friend married and see a grandkid. The shitty part is this scenario is only a couple years off at my best guess. He's got a nice lady and I can see them doing the family thing pretty quick.

Absolutely fucking broke my heart when she passed. Nothing about it was fair. Even in her last few weeks, one doctor had thrown in the towel, but some asshat was pushing more/new drugs on her. She spent her last weeks puking all the time. My friend took the red eye home and missed her passing by a couple hours.

Fuck cancer, seriously.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Nice post Hutash! that's very cool.

I don't know - sometimes I feel like it's just a numbers game. There's no rhyme or reason why one person gets it and another doesn't. I mean, hell, I've been eating mosly organic for years, I don't smoke, I exercise, I have only a sporadic family history of BC, and have never lived near a superfund site .

But here I am. What am I going to do? I don't spend a lot of time questioning it, since that seems like a waste of time. I'd rather just use all the tools in my toolbox to crush it.

And yes - if the doc told me I needed a mastectomy, I'd do it. I'd be bummed, but I'd do it. That may very well still happen. What's the trade off? I get to live. Not bad!

I still think cancer sucks. It' just a shitty, strange, bizarre disease (your own cells turning against you, and then fighting cell warfare to kill it - it's all too weird, if you ask me).
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stone-Free View Post
    Cancer is the biggest fear I have in life. It got my wifes aunt and a few friends. Cancer is fucking ghey, and I hope someone figures out cure in our lifetimes.
    Sorry to put a political bent on it, but we're spending $12B/month in Iraq - how long to cure it if we dedicated that cash to a good cause?

A year, max? F'ed up.

Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Sorry to put a political bent on it, but we're spending $12B/month in Iraq - how long to cure it if we dedicated that cash to a good cause?

A year, max? F'ed up.
    The JONG has a point...a good one at that
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

At $12B/month ... 144B/year ... 5x the current total NIH budget ... about twice the total European Union research budget for all science ... yeah, I guess it'd make a difference. It'd take more than a year, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post

A year, max? F'ed up.
    They've been at it for almost 70 years. NIH alone gets almost $2B/yr in Fed funding. It's not a lack of money being thrown at cancer research that's prevented a *cure*.

edit for DW's post: The $2B for NIH is specifically marked for cancer research...Yes, only a slice of the total funding, but a relatively large slice nonetheless.
    Last edited by EPSkis; 08-02-2007 at 12:25 PM.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

glad to see this thread. i can't tell you how many times the thought, "cancer just fucking sucks" has gone through my head in the last year.

it honestly scares the living shit out of me.

Do you mean to argue that - because cancer has not been "cured" yet, despite decades and $billions of research - spending $144B/yr on cancer research would not yield significant reductions in cancer mortality within a decade?

It might not be wise or efficient - and the result might not qualify as a "cure" - but cancer mortality would drop, a lot.

Yeah, it ain't the money that prevents the cure, its the disease. I would bet that there is nary a person on this board who doesn't know at least one person, most likely a fine human being at that, who has/had (or will have ) cancer. Maybe the good ones get it becuase they can handle it. My mother has been fighting it with a smile that a weak person would overlook. I am selfishly inspired on a daily basis. That counts for something.

My mom is facing possible cancer right now. I just flew back east to help her out for a few days after she got her Thyroid out. Whether or not she has cancer is still in the hands of the lab at Penn.

Cancer does indeed suck!

I for one don't think that spending that much $ on cancer research is the best use of my taxpayer dollars. Sure, I'd rather spend it on that than Iraq but that's a different story.

Sorry if I sound like a dick.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by David Witherspoon View Post
    Do you mean to argue that - because cancer has not been "cured" yet, despite decades and $billions of research - spending $144B/yr on cancer research would not yield significant reductions in cancer mortality within a decade?

It might not be wise or efficient - and the result might not qualify as a "cure" - but cancer mortality would drop, a lot.
    Wasn't "arguing" anything. Just pointing out that DESPITE the 100's of Billions of dollars spent in the last 70 odd years the world's top researchers have been trying....We've made progress, but we've VERY far from a cure.

Personally, I think that noticing a significant drop in cancer mortality within a decade simply by increasing real dollars spent is unlikely. (Not to suggest I wouldn't advocate such an increase.)
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

I for one don't think that spending that much $ on cancer research is the best use of my taxpayer dollars. Sure, I'd rather spend it on that than Iraq but that's a different story.

Bet you won't say that if and when the time comes.