Thread: Hanging Skis

Hanging Skis

I have an odd set or two of antique-ish "wall" skis kicking around that I'd eventually (I'm lazy) like to hang. Anybody have a slick way to do this that does not involve putting holes in the skis?
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Wire around the binding toepieces, provided they have bindings.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Screws with soke ruber tubing on it... 2 under the ski (near the tail and tip) and one over (in the middle, duh).
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

C- clamps, duct tape, and gorilla glue.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by hemas View Post
    Screws with soke ruber tubing on it... 2 under the ski (near the tail and tip) and one over (in the middle, duh).
    Hemas- soke ruber tubing?

thanks buster, yes they have bindings so that might work fine.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

metal mirror clips.

I have some old wood XC skis and used some old plastic mirror clips I had lying around - no problem since the skis don't weigh much.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post

Not sure but maybe surgical tubing like what wrist rockets have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

What you gonna hang? Old Iggies?
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Nahhhhhhh the hangers are probably going to be my sundie (sp?) skis with old beartraps. or the hart camaros from telemike or the stratos with the look nevadas mounted to them (looks off of the harts)....so probably the sundies.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

I was also interested in hanging up some skinny K2's in a way that wouldnt damage the ski. The 3 screws per ski sounds like a good idea, because you can hang them parallel, but on an angle. But that's a lot of holes in a wall that isn't mine.
    Do i need to find a stud? or are newer skis light enough that I can just put a good size screw in the wallboard?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    Speed typing... Some rubber tubing, so surgical tubing like conundrun suggested will work, as would about any soft rubber tubing. The slight sidecut and pressure will keep the skis in place, so you can mount 'em at and angle.

They also make a clear tubing that would work. It isn't as strechy as surgical tubing. Not sure of the offical name of it, but I would think that your hardware store would have it in the plumbing section. We used it, with a few bolts, to make a ski rack in our mud room.
    "I don't feel tardy"

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy page View Post
    They also make a clear tubing that would work. It isn't as strechy as surgical tubing. Not sure of the offical name of it, but I would think that your hardware store would have it in the plumbing section. We used it, with a few bolts, to make a ski rack in our mud room.
    Yep, basicly any clear "soft" tubing will work.

Dear lemon boy,

I co-own www.VintageWinter.com and we sell antique and vintage skis and collect them for our museum. Our preferred way to hang old vintage wood skis is to use an old piece of leather. Start by laying your skis on the ground near the wall you are going to hang them on. This also helps you visualize the space and layout you like. Cross the skis, set them in parallel with each other or another fashion you desire. Then get a piece of old leather (e-mail me if you need a piece and I will mail you one for free). Lay the leather over the skis just under the binding toe piece. Measure the leather and cut to length. Then have a helper hold the skis on the wall while you screw the first screw into the leather. Then stretch the leather over the ski and screw the second screw into place. Then depending on your arrangement, screw in the second piece of leather or continue with one long piece (photos seen in the link below). If you really want the skis to be rock tight to the wall pre-wet the leather a bit so it will shrink when it dries.

To hang antique skis in a rental I would suggest you either strip the head of the screw with a power drill or use a non standard screw head. Both are ways that will further deter a wood be thief. You don't want someone walking away with your vintage ski decor.

You can also go to our site and click on how to hang antique skis for further information.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Nick
    Curator
    www.VintageWinter.com
    info@vintagewinter.com