Why is my fly line sinking? (JONGish question)

I am new to this fly fishing thing, and I'm trying to figure out why the first foot or so of my supposedly floating flyline is sinking. I cleaned it with cortland dressing last night, and I used the little circular wipes that are supposed to clean and dress the line while on the water.

Still sinks.

What am I doing wrong?

It is 5 wt, weight forward long belly from Royal Wulff. I use a piece of orvis 40 lb. test mono with a perfection loop on the end (about 6") and just attach wahtever leader I need with a loop-loop connection. If it matters, The leader always sinks first, and seems to drag the fly-line down with it.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Oh and the line is new last month with maybe 10 days fishing on it.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

Nothing. This has been a problem for years. Rio came out with a line that has more hollow spots in the tip to prevent this and seems to help, but still isn’t perfect. My only advice is to cut it off.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Loop-loop connector is the problem. Leave that yuppie crap to the Orvis/Eddie Bauer crowd.

The connector snags current a lot easier than a simple knotted smooth transition between line & leader. It gets pulled under more easily. It causes lousy fly drifts.

Ditch it.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle crud View Post
    Loop-loop connector is the problem. Leave that yuppie crap to the Orvis/Eddie Bauer crowd.

The connector snags current a lot easier than a simple knotted smooth transition between line & leader. It gets pulled under more easily. It causes lousy fly drifts.

Ditch it.
    word!!!!
    It's got more paprika.

Ditch it.
    Okay that makes sense, I'll try that.

Thanks.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

Cut of about 2-3" of line at the end. When you retie the leader (as suggested above), seal the end of your flyline with a drop of crazy glue.

Quite often that open section of flyline gets water logged, dragging down the floating line.

L
    This is the worst pain EVER!

I have had good luck with the Cortland Western Drift Line WF5wt.

The first 4ft of the line has a higher bouncy than the body. It sinks but only when I'm using a large streamer or deceiver on the lake.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

i have a loop to loop and my line floats fine.
    i do put a drop of zap a gap on the nail knot between fly line and loop, so maybe it is what Lonnie is saying. i also use Amnesia 20# leader butt material, so maybe the lighter mono is making a difference?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Ditch it.
    Not that I have to worry about this in Saltwater, but what type of knot would you use in this situation? I currently use a nail knot at the end of my fly line, since I switch out my leaders a bit more than most of you. I find it easier to have several pre-tied tippet/leader sections that I can loop up really quickly.

Depends on what I am targeting, but it makes life a little simpler. It is not unheard of to go through 3 or 4 sections of 30 lb leader in one outing

i use a nail knot to tie the leader butt to the fly line, then a perfection loop in the end of the leader butt. i try to have 3-4" of leader butt. i like the amnesia because you can get it in colors. chartruse or red, it kind of works like a strike indicator.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Not that I have to worry about this in Saltwater, but what type of knot would you use in this situation? I currently use a nail knot at the end of my fly line, since I switch out my leaders a bit more than most of you. I find it easier to have several pre-tied tippet/leader sections that I can loop up really quickly.

Depends on what I am targeting, but it makes life a little simpler. It is not unheard of to go through 3 or 4 sections of 30 lb leader in one outing
    since i started fly fishing in salt waters, i was taught to make an eye of the fly line by making a bight and putting 2 nail knots to secure it. put whatever glue or sealant you like on your knots. just make sure the loop in the bight is large enough to pass the loop-to-loop knots on your leaders.

pm me if that doesnt make sense

For the ultimate connection click here:
    http://www.feather-craft.com/2007MAs...ge.asp?page=29

I have never had one fail or break.

Edit 4 - This is REALLY handy when you are stillwater fishing in deep water. Slides through the eyez nice.
    Last edited by Pow4Brains; 07-16-2007 at 06:03 PM.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy