Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

whats better for east coast trees? 186 LP's or 188 S7's?

its been a few years since i skied out east, i've been skiing LP's for god knows how long now (creature of habit) but found a pretty good deal on some S7's.. the short radius, short running length and rocker all sound like they'd be great for the tighter trees.. but the 115mm waist would be pretty fucking big for me out west much less over here.. how much does it even snow? i've only tried one ski with rocker, lotus 138's and frankly i wasn't a fan. they were more fun in fresh snow for sure but it wasn't an earth shattering improvement.. it seemed like they'd be perfect for heli-skiing or cat skiing but on an average powder day inbounds i still spent a good chunk of my time on firm snow, hardback, and cat tracks getting from A to B and for that they really really sucked.

so what say ye?

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    its been a few years since i skied out east, i've been skiing LP's for god knows how long now (creature of habit) but found a pretty good deal on some S7's.. the short radius, short running length and rocker all sound like they'd be great for the tighter trees.. but the 115mm waist would be pretty fucking big for me out west much less over here.. how much does it even snow? i've only tried one ski with rocker, lotus 138's and frankly i wasn't a fan. they were more fun in fresh snow for sure but it wasn't an earth shattering improvement.. it seemed like they'd be perfect for heli-skiing or cat skiing but on an average powder day inbounds i still spent a good chunk of my time on firm snow, hardback, and cat tracks getting from A to B and for that they really really sucked.

so what say ye?
    S7s for sure.

I have Armada JJ's, a similar shape to the S7, and they get around on hard pack fine and are excellent in the deep and trees. In fact, they make 3" of loose snow feel as fun as a foot.

Haven't skied the S7's, but my Lhasa Pows (rockered, 112) work well in eastern trees when the snow's soft; the float helps stay above the crap underneath, and IMO pivoting isn't that compromised by width; it's more about shape and rocker. Obviously 115's not gonna be great when the trees have hard moguls between them. Anyway, LP's would not be my first choice for trees anywhere, any conditions.

Tight East Coast trees are gonna be way more fun with a rockered, fun shape ski as opposed to the LP. Even when youre hauling ass in the tress, you still need to be able to bang out quick turns and you need to be able to dump speed easily.

And it snows enough to rock out with the S7's, as long as you are willing to drive for the good days and know where to go once you get there. Keep the LP's for the days when you want to bomb groomers or Tuckerman's.

You back in Montreal for the season? Going to be spending most ski days down at Jay?

Both those skis are going to be too big for the terrain. Now someone is going to chime in how they ski 207 Duke's in the east and they love them, but I'd say most people will admit that the best all around performance in the east is going to be something at 100mm with a mid 20's turning radius.

184 Goliath Sluff

I've skied both, neither on the east coast, but I have skied them both in tight trees and I would say S7 for sure

I love my 185 EP Pro's for east coast trees, you can really haul ass on them in the trees and turn on a dime to ditch speed thanks to the rocker. Once you lay them on edge, a rockered ski will grip just fine on soft groomers, and the s7's are way more versatile than my skis, so they will still be good in the chop

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    i've only tried one ski with rocker, lotus 138's and frankly i wasn't a fan. they were more fun in fresh snow for sure but it wasn't an earth shattering improvement..
    you must have been doing it wrong. 138s are earth shattering compared to LPs in soft...
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

Quote Originally Posted by amatog View Post
    S7s for sure.

I have Armada JJ's, a similar shape to the S7, and they get around on hard pack fine and are excellent in the deep and trees. In fact, they make 3" of loose snow feel as fun as a foot.
    Second that.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    You back in Montreal for the season? Going to be spending most ski days down at Jay?

Both those skis are going to be too big for the terrain. Now someone is going to chime in how they ski 207 Duke's in the east and they love them, but I'd say most people will admit that the best all around performance in the east is going to be something at 100mm with a mid 20's turning radius.

184 Goliath Sluff

Gawd I hope you are wrong, I pulled it on some 195 pows.....hopefully I'll get more than 1 day on em, and more than 1 day without injury.

184 Goliath Sluff
    188 Rossi S7 = 17.5m radius

Armada JJ = 14m radius

Ah, the versatility of a 5 dimension ski!

I think the S7s would make a fantastic EC tree ski. That being said, because you are used to your LPs, you may enjoy something with a tip rocker and flat tail. It will give you the maneuverability of a rockered ski with the turn completion and aft stability you're used to. Look at skis like the Czar, Lhasa, Sidestash, etc.

Wait so you already have the LPs anyways? Then of course get the S7s, to make an awesome two ski quiver. That being said the 2008 186 LP is one of my favorite skis and I found them awesome from pow, ice, to moguls. Might not be enough float on deep days but certainly adequate for just about everything else. So it depends on how big you want your quiver, LPs are predictable and will never disappoint. I skied the 186 Lhasa as more or less a one ski quiver last year (Squads as rock skis), the glass version made we want more stiffness. Looking to grab some carbon 191s in the near future. As of now I have some new 187 XXLs I'm prob gonna ski almost everyday out east. Turn radius preference is all up to the user so you decide.

If you are worried about the 115 waist on the S7, why not look into this years S3? You can get them in a 186cm and I think they are around 105 waist, with the same shape as the S7. Sounds like a perfect EC tree ski.

That said, having skied both LPs and owning the 188 S7s, even on days when it was super chopped up and crappy in the tight trees the S7s were awesome. Probably a lot more fun than LPs would be, although I havent skied the LPs for more than a couple days.

184 Goliath Sluff
    I am going to disagree with you here.
    I skied a 188 Nobis for 2 seasons ans it wasnt too much ski. That was in like 03 or somehting. I slpit pow days at Jay between a 178 Hellbent and 186 Lahasa. Both are just fine for trees at Jay. People not on TGR, as well as Shirk, would be very surprised at all the 110+ waisted skis you see at Jay every day. I am not just taking about Big Jay after a dump here either.(and if it is gods will 191 splats next season.)
    Grape- Are you looking for an honest everyday ski or a pow ski? We know the boards mentioned are versitile but I think there is a bit of a question to your question though.

Personally I feel that for EC have 1 ski under 100 ready for ice and everything else should be fun and fat.

and it never snows at Jay
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Quote Originally Posted by bennettc14 View Post
    Wait so you already have the LPs anyways? Then of course get the S7s, to make an awesome two ski quiver.
    I was thinking the same thing... Perfect combo. Keep LPs for early/spring season and ski S7s once things fill in. 115 with rocker should be great platform to ski over anything that can be found in the woods including your ski partners if they get in the way. For what it is worth I love my XXLs in VT trees and they are 110 or so under foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    If you are worried about the 115 waist on the S7, why not look into this years S3? You can get them in a 186cm and I think they are around 105 waist, with the same shape as the S7. Sounds like a perfect EC tree ski.
    Seconded on the S3. Skis just like a smaller S7.

128/98/118

Laseranimal's recommendations for a solid EC style quiver goes something like this:

First,

Beater park/bump ski for early/late season thrashing and finding something to do if we're in a dry spell

Then add,

Burly/stiff ski with a waist @100mm for charging groomers between storms or killing crud 3 days after

And top off with,

Some kind of funshape with waist of @110+mm which will excel at skiing tight trees when its nuking snow

Given that you have LP's which more then cover #2, you should absolutely pick up S7's to round out the quiver.
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

woah i didn't expect that many replies, i'm pretty sure the S3 would be more suited for the east coast than the S7.. but it'll be nice to have when i'm back out west for a couple weeks.. plus its a smokin' deal:

http://santabarbara.en.craigslist.or...432328446.html

You gotta have those skis, just to meet the owner!

With 3 pairs of PRs I'm sure you should off load the beater pair to me.

I also think you need that S7. 112mm isn't that big on a ski that shapely, it'll be fine everywhere. Even with your skiing.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

It needs to be clarified that the OP meant Lhasa Pow (not Legend Pro). The title is confusing.

Obviously the S7 is better suited to the trees than a Legend Pro, but Lhasa vs. S7 seems like a good comparo.

I don't know if I'm clickin' to the right link but those sure don't look like S7's.

Another vote for the S7. It's not as bony in the East as you think. I'm pretty sure that you'll get good days on the S7 if you know where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by arewolfe View Post
    ...the OP meant Lhasa Pow (not Legend Pro)...
    Surprise to me, because the OP implied his LP's have been around for a long time, are much narrower than 115mm, and have no rocker.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by arewolfe View Post
    It needs to be clarified that the OP meant Lhasa Pow (not Legend Pro). The title is confusing.

Obviously the S7 is better suited to the trees than a Legend Pro, but Lhasa vs. S7 seems like a good comparo.
    I've searched far and wide for a S7 vs Lhasa thread and come up with nada. Anyone seen one around here? Sorry for the highjack, as you were.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I've searched far and wide for a S7 vs Lhasa thread and come up with nada. Anyone seen one around here? Sorry for the highjack, as you were.
    [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143950"]Rossignol S7 vs. Bro Lhasa Pow - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

First hit....