Bike for a beginner?

Hey guys- I am interested in getting into the Mtn. Biking scene here around D.C. What is a suggestion for a beginner bike. Budget~$400.

Thanks
    Cubano

Take a look at a trek 4500 or a Specialized hardrock. You also might be able to find on of last years model bikes on sale. Go to your Local bike store and try a few out and see what fits you the best.

huffy all the way!!
    I was amazed at how light and fluffy the powdery snow was and at how the challenge never ended.
    -Charles Kelly, CT

Cubano - Where are you planning to ride? Off road (serious dirt trails), bike path? C&O Canal?

They type of bike you should get depends on the type of riding you plan to do.

If you are interested in doing some actual trail riding, you will most likely want a bike with LX or better components. With the amount of mud, streams and general wetness we have around the Mid-Atlantic area, your components will take a lot of abuse. You don't want your hubs to rust out a month after you crossed through a stream. Mechanical dic brakes are significantly better than rim brakes for the wet trail conditions we encounter. Better yet would be hydraulic, but I doubt you'll find hydros at your pricepoint.

Both the Trek and Specialized already mentioned would be good possibilities. The Giant Ranier is also. It runs around $700, but you could probably find '03 models still in the local bike shops for close to the range you mentioned. The Giant does have AVID mechanical brakes (arguably the best mechanicals out there).

Good luck with your purchase. Hit me up sometime. I'd be happy to show you some of the local goods.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

Cool Man- Gonna be dirt trails most of the time. 2 of my friends bike and I decided to join them this summer. I'm here in Gaithersburg so if you have any suggestions for places that would be sweet.

Thanks
    Cubano

From Gaithersburg, your best bet is Shaeffer Farm. Shaeffer has a lot of beginner/intermediate level trails. Check out MTBR.com's trail review section for Maryland, Shaeffer should be listed there.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

go to your local bike shop, thats not REI, I love my Access frame ($150 www.supergo.com) you can find a good fork for about $75, a wheelset for $100 (rhino lights with disk hubs), the rest of the componets are probably like 250 bucks make sure to get good drivetrain components, as in XT rear derailer, and LX everything else, a bike shop should put it all together and tune it for like 80
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Don't be afraid to go used. There are some excellent well equiped used bikes out there that are selling for half of what they cost new. Just inspect the frame carefully for major dings.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.