Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hana was my favorite part of Maui when i went there. I am sure you guys will love it. One suggestion that hasn't been mentioned is to get one of these. Maui isn't exactly known for being inexpensive, so this thing pretty much pays for itself in one use. Not sure if the Hana hotel is in there... but if you ever make it elsewhere you won't regret it. Have fun!

Kihea or Kapalua/Lahaina??

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...highlight=maui

We are going (my adults sons and I) 1st week of June. Torn between staying in West Maui or Kihei.
    I get conflicting opinions and advice. We are by no means slumming (ski bumming it) but don't need to 'waste' our money on a posh 4-5 star hotel or condo. I assume we'll only be in our lodging for after dinner, sleep, and breakfast. Heard North is very pretty, lusher, but very touristy while Kihei is more of a working man's town albeit right on the beaches with better ? snorkeling and SUPing.

Any experiences and advice to sway me? I
    We are spending 3 days in North Oahu to skydive and sharktank dive (their dream) and then flying Tue->Sunday in Maui.
    Last edited by Jim S; 03-28-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Kihea or Kapalua/Lahaina??...
    Lahaina area kicks the shit out of Kihei IMHO. The Grand Wailea though, is pretty primo if you have $$$ to spend and want a top-notch resort feel. Kapalua is all plantations and pretty nice beaches. Lahaina has all the usual fun. Maybe Kihei has fun surf, but it felt like kind of the armpit of the island last I was there (2005).

edit: didn't see the "no posh resorts" thing before... forget the Wailea then, but still go there for a drink at the pool bar!
    Last edited by jfost; 03-28-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Mamas Fish House in Paia. So good. Cool surf town,

I guess it depends largely on what you want to do. Most good dive trips (except for the cathedrals at Lanai) leave from Kihea, and it's closer to surf/windsurf venues on the north side of the island, Haleakala and the upcountry in general.

If you just want to hang out, ogle bikinis & do some snorkeling from the beach, the Lahaina-Napili strip is fine. I just find it too touristy myself.

shoot some deer and pigs!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Snorkel at Turtle point in Wailia. Very cool.

Red sand beach.

Organic coffee

Drive the backside of the island if you get tired of driving the Hana hwy. PS: your rental car is just fine. no jeep required.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Snorkel at Turtle point in Wailia. Very cool.

Red sand beach.

Organic coffee

Drive the backside of the island if you get tired of driving the Hana hwy. PS: your rental car is just fine. no jeep required.
    Agreed on everything except the rental car. Anything is fine, but damages due to offroading are usually not insurable and at your expense.

Got invited to Kihea by a ski bud who always stays at the same place and has it all scoped, it will be good to rest the feet and tan the rest of the body from the neck down after a long ski season

Going immediately after windup should stave off that depression I always feel after the ski hill closes and I realize ... I got nothing going on
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Mama's Fish House? Overrated and overpriced for tourons. We enjoy the Paia Fish Market a lot more, and since it is much cheaper, we might go several times in a week. Order at a counter, share picnic tables with locals...we'll be there in late June.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Thanks for the additional replies. I think we'll stay in Kehei this time. While it's our first trip to Maui, I don't think it will be our last.

Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Do the drive out to Hana and camp for a night. It was by far my favorite place in the two weeks I split between Maui and Oahu. Cool drive out there and it's pretty much a textbook definition of tropical island paradise. We met tons of friendly locals and travelers that clued us into some off the radar beaches and hikes just by striking up conversations and picking up hitchers. There is an awesome, safe, legal campground (these are in short supply in Hawaii) in the national park that's walking distance to the Seven Sacred Pools. It sits on a grassy bluff right on the ocean. First come first serve and free with park admission.

Driving up the volcano to see the sunrise is totally worth it too. Be prepared for cold - like, actual cold, not just cold by tropical island standards - and go early early early because the top lot fills up quick. You can camp at Hosmer grove which is about half way up the volcano, but it gets down into the 30s at night so you need a lot of blankets or sleeping bags. We camped in our car with no warm stuff whatsoever and it was miserable but totally worth it to be able to get up and have a short drive up to the top in the morning.

Kahului, where the airport is, is a shithole and the beaches north of Lahaina have a reputation for being inhabited by rough locals. Other than that, can't really go wrong.

Sorrentos in Kihei. Bring your CC. Its expensive but well worth it. Also one of the best hidden beaches in that area.

I was in Maui a few weeks ago and the north coast got pounded. Miserable-miserable rain-wind and 30ft waves for the 7 days I was there. We had accomodation in Kihei the sunny land so it was tolerable but both drives we did to the North east coast- olivine pools and Hana were gnarly. I thought I was on everest! Getting out of the vehicle was like standing on the wing of a jetliner with a hose in your face. hopefully the weather works out for you because if it doesn't your stuck there and there is not much to do.

I gotta second the bamboo forests. My absolute favorite thing about the Hana side was being buried deep in the bamboo. The seven sacred pools has a hike up and up to a waterfall and the path up is magical. I'll never forget the sound of the stalks knocking against each other, like wind chimes. They have a lovely boardwalk over the muddy places and I ran the whole thing. Ah, loved it so much.

Oh, oh, there's a farm stand area on the road to Hana and one of the guys does this shredded baked coconut chips thing. Better than crack.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

how long do I want to hang out in Maui 10 days ... 2 weeks?

Five months has been nice, here til may 1 making for 6 total. When you coming over?

hey carp, sometime during the week after april 20th for a couple of weeks

Just a bump to say thanks for the advice. My family and I are heading there at the end of July through mid-August before heading to Oahu for a few days. Luckily, I get to bum it at my dad's condo in Kihei so that part is free. Kinda bummed that my little girl is still too young to get her out surfing or swimming, so those might have to be some solo trips (I'll leave the women to go shopping some ). Pakalolo still easy to come by?
    パウダーバカ!!

Just returned from Wailea. If you like Sushi, don't eat at Sensei in Kihei. It has gone way down hill, and, in fact, now sucks. The Poke was tasteless, the nigiri and rolls were only average. (Worst meal on the trip). OTOH, the shaved ice at the little shack next to the Cafe o'lei complex is $$$. If you venture in Wailea, Nick's, Ferraros, Spago and Kai Sushi are all quality meals.
    Best thing in Hana, and maybe best beach in HI is Kaihalulu.
    A few pics.:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-06-17 12.50.46.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	682.4 KB 
ID:	138887

Name:	2013-06-17 12.36.28.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	945.7 KB 
ID:	138888

Name:	2013-06-17 12.29.11.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	507.1 KB 
ID:	138889

Name:	2013-06-17 12.34.10.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1,006.7 KB 
ID:	138890
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 06-19-2013 at 11:39 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

that sushi restaurant sucked even when they said it was good!

red sand beach-nice

I'm heading to Maui on Monday and too chicken shit to smuggle a small quantity of bud through airport security.

Any tips on getting some there? Do's and don'ts?

I usually just chat up a bartender and eventually ask them.

A local asked if I wanted to buy some bud on the street in Kihei but I gave it a pass

Instead of looking like another tourist maybe you wana look like an old ski bum

Been to Maui lots, some good fun cliff jumping on the road to Hana. About 5 spots or so we've found. Including the one in the pic below which is higher than it looks, about 35 feet at this water level, with a landing zone 10 feet wide. One of the more terrifying jumps I've done.

This site details a lot of the good cliff jumping spots. Makes them easy to find too.
    http://mauiguidebook.com/tag/cliff-jumping/

Ching's Pond

Name:	894042_10100582555750611_368439120_o.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	811.4 KB 
ID:	140461

Waikamoi

Name:	901682_10100582554742631_1886604749_o.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	745.0 KB 
ID:	140462

Well my GF had me crumble herb and put it into some Ginko capsules and leave mixed in with the bottle, I also baked some cookies with weed butter and put with my snacks. Happy to report it worked and yes I am a dumb ass.

Just saw this thread. Stoked for our first Maui trip this hallows eve....