Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan Jongified

I dont start to consider snow untill tateyama has 50 cms of base.

I have a question for you Japanese/expat residents.

My wife and neice are coming over to Japan in the Summer. They'll be there for 10 days and would like to do a tour round some interesting sites.

She's keen on seeing Kyoto, temples, museums and cultural / historical type stuff. Are there any companies you know of that will hook this kind of thing up. She's finding doing it manually a bit of a bind due to langage differences and companies that organise that kind of stuff from here are a blatant rip off.

It's been such a hassle so far she'll probably just turn up and decide where to go/stay when she's there (which I reckon is best).

Any tips or ideas from you lot would be appreciated. Cheers.

I lived in Kyoto for years actually what is she looking for?
    What is her budget.

Season has officially started in Japan.
    It doesn't represent Japanese bc skiing, but I love how it represents Japan.

DB, yes good to finally meet you. You guys both looked better than you said you were after all your liquor the night b4. A small group is growing for Tateyama next month.
    Last edited by DZ; 10-19-2007 at 07:54 AM.

^^ I hate Japan

Hayduke - your best bet by a long way is to get a local friend to help out and show them round. If you don't think I'm a cunt by next summer, I might be able to pitch in if I haven't found a summer job at that stage. Obviously its along way off.

DZ - I was pretty rotten that day. Still remember it well. I'm also lining up a late Nov hit of Tateyama. A nice Japanese guy I know and a bunch of his friends are heading up.
    Last edited by neck beard; 10-19-2007 at 11:34 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

Hey Diz - you offered to ship stuff via your family in the US. Does that include boards or is that stretching it a bit (I'd understand if it was!).

I have two being shipped out of America to Japan. Drop me a PM if you like.

FT - do you mind sending him a mail in case he doesn't read here so often. I don't have his email address.
    Last edited by neck beard; 10-20-2007 at 02:36 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

Thanks FT & Hohes, This is the kind of stuff she's looking at at the mo...

http://www.ctshorizons.com/journey_i...tail_hdr_id=78

Basically a few nights in Tokyo and most of the time in Kyoto looking at gardens, Temples, museums, and RESTAURANTS/FOOD (She's really into her cooking) and things. That link is the cheapest she's found and I'm struggling with that.
    Does she book the flights independently or go with one of these all inc. outfits?

I reckon she should book accomodation before then just rock up and follow the Lonely Planet thing..or, if it works out, hook up with one of you. She's nervous about language differences and travel and stuff. Just how safe is it for a 35 and 17 year old pair of women to travel around alone?

Just how much of a cunt are you Hohes? I'll put money on it I'm worse.

hey, wanna spend the season in japan this year, heard a lot of good stuff(snow) about it. Thinking about Niseko haven't got a ticket or somewhere to live yet though..anyone got a nice place with an extra bed?

/erik

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Thanks FT & Hohes, This is the kind of stuff she's looking at at the mo...

http://www.ctshorizons.com/journey_i...tail_hdr_id=78

Basically a few nights in Tokyo and most of the time in Kyoto looking at gardens, Temples, museums, and RESTAURANTS/FOOD (She's really into her cooking) and things. That link is the cheapest she's found and I'm struggling with that.
    Does she book the flights independently or go with one of these all inc. outfits?

I reckon she should book accomodation before then just rock up and follow the Lonely Planet thing..or, if it works out, hook up with one of you. She's nervous about language differences and travel and stuff. Just how safe is it for a 35 and 17 year old pair of women to travel around alone?

Just how much of a cunt are you Hohes? I'll put money on it I'm worse.

I’m not that much of a cunty at all. Just everyone’s different.

That price for 8 days tour is steep, even if it does include good hotels. Most places on the itinerary are totally accessible by any tourist. Some more so than others, but all mainstream within reach, almost too much so on the main line of tourist destinations.

With a bit of help from a local foreigner they could get off to an easy start and then perhaps have the ‘challenge’ of discovering other things on their own at their speed and steam. That’s part of the fun of it. You wont have much trouble finding Tokyo and Kyoto intro guides from this site and friends etc.

As for food: she’s in the right country. Me and my girl can certainly help with that in Tokyo.

The hardest aspect about eating is language of the menus – it’s a total deal breaker and will exclude you from so many incredibly good food experiences. But even if you only scrape the surface 1% you will have experienced a lot. I didn’t think it was a deal breaker until I met my Japanese girlfriend…. That’s when I realised how much I had been missing.

Subway etc are ultra easy for English speakers. Really, it is simple, even easier now they introduced the station number system. You don’t even need to know the name of the stop, just a number. Way easier (and nicer) to use than the Ldn tube.

Tokyo, Kyoto, all of Japan is probably the safest place for two women to travel in. Without a joke, Tokyo is the safest city you could imagine.

Their language apprehensions are justified, but it’s a friendly helpful place, plus with a bit of assistance from a local they will have a great time and forget the perceived barriers pretty fast.

I’m getting a flight there in 10 hours, packed my stuff up and moving back there. Only seen my fiancé for 5 weekends in the last 7 months. I’m pretty excited.
    Life is not lift served.

How is driving?
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Slow and frustrating on the freeways. The Japanese are very slow drivers compared to EU/UK. You can usually go faster in the relatively empty slow lane because every (idiot) is in the passing lane, clogged up, thinking that they are passing and going faster, rather than just passing and getting the fuck back into the slower middle lane. For the population, the freeways are not very big nor well designed. And they are god damned expensive. Tokyo to Hakuba is something like USD70 in tolls for 4 hours driving, one way. All freeway and many tourist route signs are in English and Japanese, makes life easy. Again, if you are used to EU standards, the freeway food stops in Japan are the worst in the modern world, yet the Japanese seem so proud of them.
    Life is not lift served.

Hohes, FT, DZ, any of you boys up for Tateyama November 23, 24, 25? So far, I have fuck all to do, no club, no meetings, etc, and am game to get out. I could get out Thursday and make it to ....? Hakuba would be pushing it, maybe more to Toyama? Once it gets closer to the dates, and if you boys can go, Ill see if I can crash at somebody (Kumapix's place maybe?) place. Lemme know. Im keen to get out!!
    パウダーバカ!!

Satori! Where is my shit!!!!!
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    Hohes, FT, DZ, any of you boys up for Tateyama November 23, 24, 25? So far, I have fuck all to do, no club, no meetings, etc, and am game to get out. I could get out Thursday and make it to ....? Hakuba would be pushing it, maybe more to Toyama? Once it gets closer to the dates, and if you boys can go, Ill see if I can crash at somebody (Kumapix's place maybe?) place. Lemme know. Im keen to get out!!
    Yes, I will be up there for the entire last week of Nov. Unless there is no snow. There is nothing to stop me from going up 23-25 as well. I'll be on that side of the range sleeping in my car or on the mountain in a tent.
    Life is not lift served.

ps -

Dizzy should be on it as well. Plus I know another guy heading up.

Fattwins wont go. He's scared of heights.
    Life is not lift served.

hey db when you coming back?

Hey Guys, great information in this thread. I've been toying with the idea of spending a season in Japan for a little while now. Fattwins has been very helpful in giving me some information after finding him on snowjapan. I'm going to try to be out for the 08/09 season.

Just a question... Does Hakuba have a Yoshinoya or Matsuya? I need my gyudon fix!

stuntcok, I burned it last night praying to Ullr...my bad, those pants were just a tad bit big for me Fack....

MS, top of my head no, but other restaurants would prolly have it...hopefully minus the spinal cord nowadays....
    パウダーバカ!!

this thread makes me happy. that is all. hoping to visit you guys for a season in a couple years.
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

You know, now that I think about it there is no Yoshinoya there. Maybe I should set one up. I was going to start a kebab shop called Hakubab...

www.poachninja.com

Happo has a turkish bab shop that actually does well.

But does it have a catchy name like "Hakubab"?

www.poachninja.com

will you have a horse meat special?

fuck, you'll also have to have whale and dolphin meat for it to really be a japanese hakubab shop

How the fuck the govt allows elementary school kids to eat tainted dolphin meat with mercury levels off the charts is beyond me
    パウダーバカ!!

Quote Originally Posted by fattwins View Post
    hey db when you coming back?
    I'll be in Hakuba for good come Saturday. Call you tomorrow.

Yo Sock Monkey. Hello. Did you leave Japan?

MaximumSushi - can I safely assume you will be in Hakuba?
    Life is not lift served.