Question Anybody ever changed out RAM on an iBook G4?

So I bought me some RAM, the biggest chip I could - 500-something, I believe. Anyway anybody done this, and want to give me instructions? It can't be that hard. The only instructions said to go to crucial's tech support pages and look from there, but I'm feeling lazy and don't really want to surf and sift from there...anybody wanna tell me?

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBoo...-Inch/RAM/83/4

that's for the 12-inch model, but the take-apart steps are the same for the 12 and 14-inch models, so don't worry if you have the 14.
    "...And my quarter is ruined. My business lost about 200K in revenue.

On a positive note, I did save some money on car insurance by staying with GEICO..."

I added some to my GF's iBook G4. From what I remember it was very easy. I think it only involved taking the keyboard out.

Just looked at the directions in the link that Jackamo included and that's what you need to do.

quit fckn around and install it.

twist the tiny screw, pull down the tabs, plug into slot, drink beer.

Excellent! It is done. Hopefully I'll now get the beachball of death a little less often. I know I need a new computer, and want a MacBook Pro, but it's not in the financial cards right now.

Thank you for the instructions Jackamo, that was perfect!

Squatch Guest

COMPLETELY unimpressed. What next?

Well, I tried Crucial's RAM chip, and I can say it sucked donkey balls. I swapped out my existing 256MB chip for a 512, and actually found the machine to be much, MUCH slower!!! I'd mentioned hoping to avoid/lose the 'beachball of death', and I found I got it much more often. It was particularly noticeable switching between different tabs on firefox, but also when going from app to app (firefox to iChat, to iTunes, etc). Also I've found iTunes to be such a show-stopper anymore I can't run it while running anything else - if I want to listen to tunes, I have to jack my ipod into the speaker cord instead, or the computer ends up completely crippled. Anyway I was so dissatisfied with the new chip that I swapped both chips out again, and now things are back to 'normal'. I just can't run iTunes all that long or it locks itself up, permanent beachball that even a Force Quit can't get to shut down - only way to get rid of it is to manually reset the computer by holding down the power button.

Oh, and I also noticed that while my computer is 'docked' (plugged in and resting on one of those 'iCurve' stands), if I lose power, then the battery won't keep the computer on - it'll shut down along with the wall outlet. WTF?!?

Look, I know I need a new computer - this is an 800mHz iBook G4. It'll be 4 years old this xmas. I'm just hoping to nurse it just a bit further, and thought doing stuff like putting double the RAM in it might be a help. Anything I can do?

Squatch Guest
    hmm...weird issue jumper. now i'm hesitant.

well, dammit. I wanted to feel all cool and not get taken for a ride by apple for the price of memory (300/gig is ridiculous) but i also want something that works well. anybody recommend a specific brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    hmm...weird issue jumper. now i'm hesitant.

well, dammit. I wanted to feel all cool and not get taken for a ride by apple for the price of memory (300/gig is ridiculous) but i also want something that works well. anybody recommend a specific brand?

kingston. reasonable prices, i've never had any issues with their memory. i have an extra 2gig in my desktop and 1gig in my laptop, nary an issue for the past 18 months. their customer service is awesome too - they shipped me the wrong CF card once; i called that day (i got a real person almost right away) and they overnighted the correct part to me.

http://www.kingston.com
    "...And my quarter is ruined. My business lost about 200K in revenue.

On a positive note, I did save some money on car insurance by staying with GEICO..."

I have nearly the same laptop and I have added RAM to it twice - runs almost as good as my girlfriend's MacBook. The first RAM died after about a year. When installing it I have screwed up several times - be sure to check your system profile to make sure the system recognizes the new RAM. If your system sees the ram and you're still running way slow you should make sure you have at least 10% of your hard drive free. That's all I got for you.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Okay, got it working. Sunstantial improvement!

I think the issue was I hadn't forced the new RAM chip in there good enough...guess you have to be kind of forceful.

Much faster now, rocking 640MB of Rizzam....watch out now, internets!