Post Biking around Lake Tahoe

Something I'd like to do is bike around Lake Tahoe, the entire distance, in one day. Start at 6am-ish, preferably on a Saturday. I'm thinking mid-May or early June.

Anyone in? (Lunch, Kellie, other roadies??)

Weekend preferences? (How about June 5th?)

Previous experience doing this? (I haven't done this ride before...I've heard it's dangerous because of tourist Jongs)

Should be fun..........
    bc-lovah

There is a big organized ride that goes around the lake. Some people do it with Team in Training to raise money for cancer research.
    I imagine it is an awesome ride.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Originally posted by onehotchili
    personally i would save your $$$ registration fee and just ride it with some friends. i would try and ride before Memorial Day if possible since the weekend crowds can start getting crazy once the summer begins. that is just my opinion though...
    Sounds like a plan to me. Are you saying you're in??

So, it looks like the new date should be May 22nd.

Anyone interested?
    bc-lovah

interested, but skiing may still be the priority - depends on the weather :-) as always!

It's a beautiful ride but parts can be very unpleasant. Lots of traffic and commercial driveways in places.
    I'll do it (if I'm not in Scotland).
    Just let me know the day before so I can set my alarm.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

lph has done this ride and absolutely loved it.

I'd consider doing it, but I'm not much of a roadie. when is the big organized one?
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

i have done this ride several times of the last few years, but always on a weekday, as on w/e's, esp. around the holidays (4th, labor and memorial days, etc) there are tons of tourons and gapers gaping at the beautiful scenery...very scary!

but am always up for this ride, so let me know when you plan to do it, and i will join ya'll. My GF signed us up for the organized ride around the lake in June too if ya'll are interested...

On second thought, I may do the official event. Less risk of getting hit by a car! I'll look it up on the web and post back here. But...a training ride may be in order, so I'll let everyone know when I'm planning that, and hopefully some of you will join in!

edit: the official ride website is
    http://www.bikethewest.com/AMBRR.html
    Registration is temporarily closed...
    Last edited by divegirl; 03-30-2004 at 08:47 PM.
    bc-lovah

Originally posted by divegirl
    On second thought, I may do the official event. Less risk of getting hit by a car! I'll look it up on the web and post back here. But...a training ride may be in order, so I'll let everyone know when I'm planning that, and hopefully some of you will join in!

edit: the official ride website is
    http://www.bikethewest.com/AMBRR.html
    Registration is temporarily closed...
    registration re-opens on april 10th, so be sure to hit the site then and register. the GF and I are on for the ride witha start time of 7am (you chose 15 min start time intervals)....hope some of you can join us. we will be having a post-ride BBQ @ my crib in Truckee aftrewards...all are welcome.

the following weekend is my weekend to run the Relay Around Lake Tahoe. not as much fun as riding it, especially since i am running *UP* from Zephyr Cove to Spooner Summit. oh well...
    That's got to hurt...

We'll see how I'm feeling on longer rides, I might try to get in on the ride around Tahoe. Did 25 miles after work yesterday (wind sucks on the causeway), and it definitely uses different back muscles than I've been using.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Originally posted by Telenater
    That's got to hurt...

We'll see how I'm feeling on longer rides, I might try to get in on the ride around Tahoe. Did 25 miles after work yesterday (wind sucks on the causeway), and it definitely uses different back muscles than I've been using.
    yeah, the back & neck is what gets ya on those early season road rides....diff. muscles....keep on putting in soem saddle time and you wll be good to go by june....let me know if you plan on doing this ride.....would be fun to have a crew do this....

today it is all about my single speed mountain bike, since i have my noon time ride coming up in a 1/2 hour [/B][/QUOTE]

haven't been up to the house in truckee in almost a month now....how low is snow level now, if you plan to go mtb'ing? where are you riding this early in the season? just curious as to what's open....

for the most part, the roads are pretty clean around Truckee so the road biking has been good.
    Just watch out for the crazed packs of dogs. Went on a ride from my house (downtown) out Glenshire to the river and beyond yesterday and was taking a gravel road next to the train tracks when out of the corner of my eye I see two dogs sans any aparent owner about 30 yards away. They see me and start running straight for me (and not in a nice friendly way). I shift up and put the hammer down and barely make it to the main road again where they stopped chase. That was a bit of a leg burner for early season!
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

sweet early season training program you got going there.....letting the rabid dogs chase ya, love that!